• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to Disarm at IDFG Bowhunter Education Class - Refused

Status
Not open for further replies.

R-Rizzo

If it were me, I'd call b.s. on his AD claim... Sounds like something he made up on the spot to try to justify the ridiculousness.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If it were me, I'd call b.s. on his AD claim... Sounds like something he made up on the spot to try to justify the ridiculousness.

Excellent point! You asked very, very simple questions that he can't seem to answer. He responds by making up facts without evidence.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Who knows, really? A quick google search doesn't reveal any news articles about any errant shots being fired at the Hunter Education Center, but then again, a single non-injury AD, especially if a conservation officer were present, probably wouldn't even get a police report, much less make the news. Regardless of the history of live ammunition at the Hunter Education Center, he is at least admitting that he is powerless to ban loaded carry.

ManInBlack

Fish and Game Commission Meeting This Week In Boise

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/media/viewNewsRelease.cfm?newsID=5981

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission will meet beginning at 8 a.m. Wednesday,
August 24, at Fish and Game headquarters at 600 S. Walnut in Boise.

Commissioners will consider routine agenda items, including setting seasons and bag limits for sage-grouse and waterfowl.

Commissioners also will consider a proposed wildlife salvage rule, and rule changes that would clarify the definition of fishing contest, remove mountain sucker from commercial fishing species list and change the names of the leatherside chub and bluehead sucker.

Also on the agenda are proposed changes to clean up rules on wolf trapping tags and rules allowing for trapping of wolves near big game animal carcasses, changes to game management unit boundaries, changes to rules on who can participate in bighorn sheep tag auctions and lotteries, and changes to the Landowner Appreciation Program in five units exceeding 10 percent tag allocation for qualified participants.

The commission also will consider a temporary rule that would allow a proposed refund for nonresidents who bought a full-priced 2011 wolf tag before July 28.

The commission also will consider a proposal to discount nonresident deer or elk tags that are made available as second tags on August 28.

I am seriously considering going (OC of course). I think this would be a good opportunity to show the commissioners that I am just a normal guy who chooses to carry a gun. I also still haven't heard back from Mr. Fritz regarding my final two concerns, so maybe I'll get a chance to ask them about that, too. ;)

Would anyone else have availability/be interested?

Gunslinger

Great job on blowing away ignorance which is inexcusable. Too many bureaucrats make up "rules" as they go along rather than do their jobs and learn them correctly. Let us know what happens at the meeting should you go.

Rangerhalo

I am the one

I recently bought a compound bow and intend to hunt with it in the fall season. I took the online bowhunter education course, which requires that you come in for a 3.5 hr "field day" (mine was tonight). The class was held at the IDFG Boise Hunter Education Center just off of Chinden in Garden City. I arrived about 10 minutes early and found that there were about 20 folks already in the classroom (and I was surprised to see that 1/4 were lady hunters). The instructor (and IDFG volunteer named Shane Sisler) was sitting at a desk in the front, and when I walked over to sign in and pick up my materials, Mr. Sisler greeted me with, "Is that sidearm unloaded?"
Me: "No, sir."
SS: "Could you please unload it?"
Me: "Is this a state-owned building?"
SS: "Uh, yeah." (the sarcastic tone of his voice was intended to make me feel like I was in the wrong)
Me: "In that case, no, I'm not required to." [you should have seen the look on his face! priceless!]
SS: "Why would you take a loaded gun to a class?" (again with the sarcastic tone, bear in mind that he is speaking noticeably louder than polite conversation level)
Me: "It goes wherever I go, for protection."
SS: "Well, I promise I'm not going to rape you or anything." (on my honor, direct quote. at this point he begins getting my materials together)
Me: "I wasn't worried about you." ("until now," I wanted to add)
SS: "We just don't like loaded guns..."
Me: "I promise it'll stay right where it's at."

I picked up my things and went to my seat. Mr. Sisler began the class and for about the first hour and a half, continued to draw attention to my firearm, which didn't seem to rile up anyone in the class, but made me vaguely uncomfortable. Things like, "What do you do for protection against predators while bowhunting elk? You pack what he's got!" and "What happens if you encounter anti-hunters? No, you can't shoot them!" (pointing at me). After awhile, I think he got the hint that I wasn't amused, and the rest of the class went on without incident. None of the other students even came up to me and asked about it during the break, which both surprised and pleased me.

Overall, I'd rate this experience as neutral. While Mr. Sisler was unaware of the law, we have to bear in mind that he is a volunteer, and unlike IDFG enforcement officers, probably has no training in dealing with armed citizens. His immature attitude, tone of voice, and comments did peeve me slightly, but he seemed like a decent enough fellow and did know his stuff when it came to bowhunting elk. And, being obviously unaware of the law, I will give him credit for making the logical assumption that someone who is open carrying and seems to know what he is doing is probably not breaking the law, rather than the illogical assumption that something must be wrong and that calling additional armed strangers is necessary. At the very least, I hope that the encounter provoked at least one student to google "open carry."

Any comments or constructive criticism is welcome!

P.S.: Later in the class, he admitted, "You guys are going to rag me for this, but I'm actually originally from Kalifornia." I wanted to stand up and shout, "No, REALLY?!?" :lol:

I guess its time i replied since im the one being accused. First of all lets set this straight , at no time did i tell this individual he couldnt carry a loaded firearm, i have a CCW....and am ex law enforcement. i am well aware of the laws. This clown decides to exagerate the issues greatly, understandable, you have a very insecure man carrying a loaded firearm to a Bowhunter education class....his reason Protection????!!!! FROM WHAT? What next let his kid carry a nine milli into kindergarten for show and tell? I have waited to post this in accordance with Fish and Game request, since its over and this individual basically made a fool of himself...i can now post. Fish and game do not like loaded weapons in classes for very obvious reasons and if i have to go into that, well you need more education on firearm safety....I at the time had the authority to pull the class because of this individuals silly actions, but i was not going to make 30 other people who wanted to bowhunt suffer through another year as these classes are limited. This kind of individual is the kind that give liberals of all kinds of something to hang on to, its hard enough to keep our firearms and carry much less have to deal with this kind of ignorance....his thought...hey its a hunting class ill go make a statement as if it was a frikking fashion statement. its ok pal....we all understand your small mans syndrome to have to carry a loaded firearm in a classroom to protect yourself. Not only was this dangerous, it put every person in that classroom at risk, nobody knew this guy or his training, in conclusion this was an attempt to defame a volunteer instructor who gives his free time to help others get what they need.....i dont get paid for this, i do it because i want to give back to all the hunting ive enjoyed in Idaho and wish to preserve our right to archery hunt in this state by teaching good hunting ethics safety and survival.....so as i can see it really bothered this clown .....i surely hope the anti gun people dont run into this guy....he would be their poster child as to why we shouldnt be allowed to carry, and if i was one of them i wouldnt blame them, this citizen is a poor example of why we should retain our right....Oh yeah by the way.....i am from California, great place to be from, And i am a combat vet who fought for the right to even be able to respond to this insecure individual.......hey next time maybe you can go to Chuck E Cheese and scare the mouse you just never know what he might pull on you.....unbelieveable. I am not employed by fish and game and this rebuttal is purely my opinion.....I will continue to teach as there was no reprimand, all i was told was next time ask them to leave if they dont shut the class down.....i think that pretty well sums it up....amazing when you hear both sides.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I guess its time i replied since im the one being accused. First of all lets set this straight , at no time did i tell this individual he couldnt carry a loaded firearm, i have a CCW....and am ex law enforcement. i am well aware of the laws. This clown decides to exagerate the issues greatly, understandable, you have a very insecure man carrying a loaded firearm to a Bowhunter education class....his reason Protection????!!!! FROM WHAT? What next let his kid carry a nine milli into kindergarten for show and tell? I have waited to post this in accordance with Fish and Game request, since its over and this individual basically made a fool of himself...i can now post. Fish and game do not like loaded weapons in classes for very obvious reasons and if i have to go into that, well you need more education on firearm safety....I at the time had the authority to pull the class because of this individuals silly actions, but i was not going to make 30 other people who wanted to bowhunt suffer through another year as these classes are limited. This kind of individual is the kind that give liberals of all kinds of something to hang on to, its hard enough to keep our firearms and carry much less have to deal with this kind of ignorance....his thought...hey its a hunting class ill go make a statement as if it was a frikking fashion statement. its ok pal....we all understand your small mans syndrome to have to carry a loaded firearm in a classroom to protect yourself. Not only was this dangerous, it put every person in that classroom at risk, nobody knew this guy or his training, in conclusion this was an attempt to defame a volunteer instructor who gives his free time to help others get what they need.....i dont get paid for this, i do it because i want to give back to all the hunting ive enjoyed in Idaho and wish to preserve our right to archery hunt in this state by teaching good hunting ethics safety and survival.....so as i can see it really bothered this clown .....i surely hope the anti gun people dont run into this guy....he would be their poster child as to why we shouldnt be allowed to carry, and if i was one of them i wouldnt blame them, this citizen is a poor example of why we should retain our right....Oh yeah by the way.....i am from California, great place to be from, And i am a combat vet who fought for the right to even be able to respond to this insecure individual.......hey next time maybe you can go to Chuck E Cheese and scare the mouse you just never know what he might pull on you.....unbelieveable. I am not employed by fish and game and this rebuttal is purely my opinion.....I will continue to teach as there was no reprimand, all i was told was next time ask them to leave if they dont shut the class down.....i think that pretty well sums it up....amazing when you hear both sides.

Normally I welcome new posters - in your case I will make an exception.

You sir, are entirely out of line with insults, crude references and fear of a holstered handgun. There will be no more of this here.

craigm

What is dangerous about a holstered firearm? Is it less dangerous if he conceals? Why was it even brought up? Why did you make comments about it to the class if you're worried he was giving the anti's more to complain about?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

papa bear

Agree with GRAPESHOT and CRAIGM,

RANGERHALO, your reply shows you have not got a leg to stand on. you were both rude and insulting. you are letting you HOPOLOPHOBIA show. there is nothing to fear, or any safety issues from a holstered firearm.

as far as anti goes you are extremely anti 2nd A. if we don't all stand for the rights that our fore fathers sought, then we will loose them

carracer

Wow! I don't know what to say! CCW... Ex Law enforcement... California... Who'da thunk?

MKEgal

I think this would be a good time to apply the
Toolkit against online trolls
That's part 1 of 3.

Rangerhalo said:
lets set this straight , at no time did i tell this individual he couldnt carry a loaded firearm
The OP didn't claim that you did.
He did say that you asked him to unload it, & repeatedly ridiculed him when he did not agree to your request.
I believe that's called a Strawman Argument.
"The strawman argument occurs when someone misrepresents his opponent’s position and then attacks the misrepresented position."
But from your comments, it sounds like you did everything but close down the class & actually tell him flat out that you didn't want him to carry & would refuse him sevice if he did.

i have a CCW... and am ex law enforcement. i am well aware of the laws.
That's called "Appeal to Authority".
If you'd bothered to poke around the fora at all, you'd find that this is not the way to win our hearts, esp. when that authority is a LEO.
Far too often, we (collectively) have learned that LEO do not know the laws they're hired to enforce.

This clown... very insecure man... made a fool of himself... silly actions... ignorance... small mans syndrome... clown... next time maybe you can go to Chuck E Cheese and scare the mouse you just never know what he might pull on you
That's called an ad hominem attack.
This seems to be a favorite of yours.
"The ad hominem is a way of discrediting a claim by attacking the character or beliefs of the person supporting the claim rather than disproving the actual claim itself."

I'll address a few of your fallacies:
- If a gun was a penis replacement, no man would carry anything with a barrel under 12".
- As for ignorance, sounds like he knows the law better than you.
- Insecure? Sure. I'm insecure too. I know most violent criminals are stronger & faster than I am. They choose when to act, I can only react.

You might also be interested in Kathy Jackson's essay titled "Are You Paranoid?"
And here's her essay "Compensating for Something?"

What next let his kid carry a nine milli into kindergarten for show and tell?
That's called a "Slippery Slope" argument.
"The Slippery Slope occurs when someone argues that if A were to happen, then an unwanted outcome B is bound to happen, thus A should not happen.
If someone tries using the Slippery Slope argument against you, then the burden of proof lies on them to demonstrate the validity of the slope’s slipperiness."

Protection????!!!! FROM WHAT?
Well, the first thing you thought of was rape...

carry a loaded firearm in a classroom to protect yourself
How about in the parking lot?
Can you guarantee his safety there, as you apparently can in class?
And can you guarantee that if he leaves his property in the car it won't be stolen?

Fish and game do not like loaded weapons in classes for very obvious reasons and if i have to go into that, well you need more education on firearm safety.
I think that might fall under "Appeal to Ignorance".
"When someone appeals to ignorance, they are asserting that a claim is true until it is proven false. Sometimes this will manifest in the form of an argument that says something must be true because it is a “generally accepted” proposition.
...the appeal to ignorance is often used to shift the burden of proof from one party to the other... it is the responsibility of the claim-maker to prove their claim, not your responsibility to prove them wrong. The burden of proof lies on the one who is making the claim."

dangerous, it put every person in that classroom at risk, nobody knew this guy or his training
If the class were using or handling those pistols, that would be different.
But a pistol in a holster is no more dangerous than a pen sitting on a desk.
And if you'd kept up with research in your field, you would have been aware of this 2006 FBI study which says that criminals don't carry openly & practically never use holsters. (Which yes, has little to do with concerns about safety, but does address the biggest one - this person might hurt someone.)

ill go make a statement as if it was a frikking fashion statement
He didn't say that's why he was carrying, did he?
You must think of that reason because that's why you carry, right? That's called projection.

an attempt to defame a volunteer instructor
I saw it as an attempt to tell others in the 2A community about a problem he encountered with a person who acts as an agent/representative of the government, & was unaware of the law & attempting to enforce his opinion.
Looks like someone else at the agency is similarly unaware of the laws & wants to enforce his/her opinion, & doesn't care that it will cause an expensive legal settlement if it happens again, esp. now that they've been made aware of the laws.
Refusing a government service to someone because of the peaceful exercise of a protected civil right looks to me like a lawsuit payout waiting to happen.
Instead of a pistol, imagine if your object of derision were a religious symbol on a necklace?

poster child as to why we shouldnt be allowed to carry
Why would that be?
Because he was peaceful & educated? Because he was also trying to get safety education about bowhunting? Because he stood up for his rights?

ETA: it occurred to me that this might count as the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.
"The No True Scotsman fallacy occurs when you appeal to a sense of purity or completion in the original claim to exclude all cases that may be possible but do not fit the claim."

all i was told was next time ask them to leave if they dont shut the class down.
i think that pretty well sums it up.
See above, about an expensive civil rights case.
Denying someone a government service because he's exercising a protected civil right is a losing proposition from the get-go.

ETA: And lest we commit the Fallacy Fallacy, was there a part of your post that wasn't a fallacy, opinion, insult, etc. that we should pay attention to?
"this fallacy occurs when you completely discredit someone’s position simply because they used a fallacy when making their point."
I've tried to only point out & discredit your fallacies & explain why your opinions are not facts.

Last edited:

Lord Sega

Wow, just... wow

... in all my time surfing around internet blog sites I have never seen a post that made a mental image of the author frothing at the mouth while I read it.
(well, I take that back... I have read some of Joan's blog site...)

Ignoring for the moment the spelling errors, lack of paragraphs, and run-on sentences, let's look at Shane's well thought out rebuttal:

at no time did i tell this individual he couldnt carry a loaded firearm. // i am well aware of the laws.
The OP states you asked him to unload (i.e. disarm), and if you were aware of the laws why make any comment at all, before or during class?

carrying a loaded firearm to a Bowhunter education class....his reason Protection?
I am assuming this class had bows and arrows readily available as part of the class, neither you or the OP states one way or the other. If so, then you and the others in class were armed as well. As to protection, no one knows when they might need to defend themselves or others, so to carry OC or CC is to "be prepared".

What next let his kid carry a nine milli into kindergarten for show and tell?
Straw man argument, a five year old with a handgun in a school breaks multiple laws, the OP is an adult legally carrying.

Fish and game do not like loaded weapons in classes for very obvious reasons and if i have to go into that, well you need more education on firearm safety.
What they or you like and the law are two completely different things. You wanting the OP to unload requires the handgun to come out of the holster which is a greater safety risk than leaving it in the holster. I believe you need a refresher safety course IMO.

I at the time had the authority to pull the class
Probably a good thing that you didn't. Multiple lawsuits are never a good thing. Also, even as an unpaid volunteer, you are teaching a class for a government entity, and while I am not 100% sure, I bet an argument could be made for a civil rights "color of law" federal case.

his thought...hey its a hunting class ill go make a statement as if it was a frikking fashion statement.
Those of us who carry, OC or CC, carry for protection of our families, ourselves, and others. We respect and understand the dangers and the responsibility that comes with that choice. Unless the OP's sidearm was chromed & Bedazzled it's not a fashion statement, but it is a Constitutionally protected 1A & 2A statement.

we all understand your small mans syndrome to have to carry a loaded firearm
Belittling & name calling, here and throughout your post serves no purpose, lends nothing to your argument, and just makes you look like a jerk. Also, it is against the forum rules.

Not only was this dangerous, it put every person in that classroom at risk, nobody knew this guy or his training
And no one knows you or your training. Carrying a handgun does not give a person an uncontrollable urge to shoot people any more than holding a bow makes you give in to the urge to turn and shoot someone. People should be judged by what they do, not what your paranoia makes you think they are going to do.

this was an attempt to defame a volunteer instructor who gives his free time to help others
Truth is a defense to being accused of defamation. If you have an impartial witness from the class who is willing to come on here and state what he/she saw and heard and it goes against what the OP posted, then ok. But until then the OP has his story and you have yours, and your rambling diatribe [1] lends nothing to your argument.

[1] di·a·tribe/ˈdīəˌtrīb/ Noun: A forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something.

he would be their poster child as to why we shouldnt be allowed to carry, //, this citizen is a poor example of why we should retain our right.
Actually the OP (ManInBlack) is a good example of OC or CC, he remained calm and asserted his legal rights without creating a scene. The scene was created and continued during class by you.

i am from California, //, And i am a combat vet who fought for the right to even be able to respond to this insecure individual.
I respect you for your service, I am also in the Armed Forces. While California is a beautiful state, it is one of the worst states for 2A rights.
Please explain how you would "respond" when California has banned OC & CC for regular people, and has CC only for the rich, well connected, and movie stars? You are a vet who supposedly fought for our great country and the freedoms it stands for, yet want to take away his Constitutionally acknowledged rights?

next time maybe you can go to Chuck E Cheese and scare the mouse
In the pacific northwest the OP can carry in Chuck E Cheese; scary mouse, screaming kids, and all. Again, it's legal. As a private company they could ask him to leave and if he didn't leave have him cited for trespass. As a government class in a public building, you don't have that option.

I will continue to teach as there was no reprimand, all i was told was next time ask them to leave if they dont shut the class down
As to no reprimand, well that's up to Fish & Game, they probably don't want to lose a free instructor. You need to rethink about shutting down a class that is already paid for and delaying the student's certificates, over something that is perfectly legal. As stated above, legal action would be a distinct possibility.

Remember, you may be the instructor, but it is a government required class. You have to follow the laws as they apply to the government who you represent.

Rangerhalo, respond or not, but I welcome the debate. All I ask is please use some paragraphs and spell check before posting. Most of all, use reason & logic (preferably with site/links to any quotes or data you might use in your rebuttal.

Lord Sega

Arrrg, MKEgal

You beat me to it.

I spent too much time analyzing and re-typing.
Well, I hope you like my part-by-part breakdown and reply.

Last edited:

Aknazer

Guess what. I too was (sadly) born in California, and state that it is where I'm from due to it being the most stable of places growing up (military family, but spent a good bit of time in CA), and even go back to visit my family there. I too am a combat vet and am currently deployed. I am over here fighting so that you can spew your filth. But I must say, you are a disgrace to those of us who take our oath to uphold and defend the Constitution seriously. So take your "I'm from CA and a combat vet so what I have to say is more important than what you're saying" attitude back to whatever hole you crawled out of. Not that serving makes what one says more important/right than another person. If anything it makes you look like you are trying to deflect as your arguement can't stand on it's own and requires the "but I'm XXX" bit to try and prop it up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The drive by poster who resurrects necro threads with baseless allegations disappears into the setting sun.

Appreciate all of you who took the time to apply your line item analysis. Good job.

OC for ME

<drivel> I am not employed by fish and game and this rebuttal is purely my opinion.....I will continue to teach as there was no reprimand, all i was told was next time ask them to leave if they dont shut the class down.....i think that pretty well sums it up....amazing when you hear both sides.
Rebuttal.....um, no. Whining.....um, yes.

It is likely you will be reprimanded, again, in the future.

You nor the DFG have the authority to refuse the OP service due the he being lawfully armed, on state property. You have the authority to walk out and not teach the course.

I strongly recommend that you partake of OCDO. OCDO is a valuable resource, completely free and available 24/365(366).

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not only was this dangerous, it put every person in that classroom at risk, nobody knew this guy or his training, in conclusion this was an attempt to defame a volunteer instructor who gives his free time to help others get what they need.....i dont get paid for this,.

First, I am an avid compound bow user ... its great! Its nice to see folks willing to extend this sport. I have a several types of bows too but the compound is my favorite.

A compound bow is very dangerous too so your argument that his holstered gun is dangerous is like saying an arrow in a quiver is dangerous. Nobody knows anybody at these types of classes; heck for all your class knew you are loony, right? But we have a little bit of trust in our common man, right? Or we would just cower in our homes.

So, sans the 1 sentence remark, I understand your viewpoint. I'm a vet but who cares? It does not matter.

But it sounds like you took a deep breath and realized that a person legally carrying a gun is not as dangerous as you initially thought (as you continued on with the next class).

You are not a monster ... just a Californian ... many posters here are not in California but from states with a long tradition of considering firearms a part of everyday life. Its like talking about coal pollution to a person from PA (and I have a coal stove -- its nice!) ... you are not going to get a good reception.

MKEgal

Lord Sega said:
Unless the OP's sidearm was chromed & Bedazzled it's not a fashion statement
:lol: If I were better with photoshop, I'd run with that.
As it is, it's a hilarious mental image.
Tempting to get a toy pistol, rhinestones, & glue & actually create a fashion statement. :rolleyes:

...respond or not, but I welcome the debate. All I ask is please use some paragraphs and spell check before posting.
Most of all, use reason & logic, preferably with site/links to any quotes or data you might use in your rebuttal.
What he said. Esp. since you've had time now to read the forum rules, which apparently you hadn't before, since you broke 4 of them. (#5, 6, 9, 15.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.