• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crossing the dam...

The Big Guy

On my way back from an AZ vacation I decided to come back accross the dam rather than go all the way down stream. I was pulling a small trailer so I knew that I would be asked to open it for inspection. As the officer walked up to the van he asked me to step out and open the trailer so he could look in. He also asked me not to touch my "pistol" while I was out of the vehicle. When I opened the trailer up he barely looked in. His next question was how many rounds was I carrying. When I began to count it up in my head, he asked me if it was over a thousand, to which I kind of chuckled and said no. As I was shutting the trailer door he asked me if I came accross the dam often. I told him no. He then asked me if the next time I came accross the dam would I please put my "pistol" (I carry a revolver) in the glove box and then re-holster after the inspection. I didn't answer him just gave him a quick look directly in the eyes and then walked back up and got in my van.

On a side note, I carried the whole time in AZ. I had exactly 4 comments the whole week. All of them basically boiled down to what was I carrying? All of which ended with a discussion of various revolvers. Saw no one else OC, just my wife and I. No one else even glanced at us, no big deal. The only time I took it off was to eat in a place that served alcohol per law.

I love AZ. Great people over there.

TBG

Remmy

I had a similar encounter while crossing the damn into AZ to go to my property in Williams, I was asked to exit my vehicle to open a plastic bin that had my camping equipment in, When i stepped out of my truck, he noticed my sidearm and asked me how many rounds i had with me, I said only what i have on my person. He then said next time remember your on federal property and unload your pistol, when you pull away from here please unload it until your across the dam, I smiled and got back in my car and left.

Mudjack

Banned
I simply conceal when crossing Hoover Dam.

I spend a lot of time in AZ, too. Thinking seriously about moving there.

God Bless Arizona! It is, arguably, the freest state.

Mudjack

Banned
It is highly probable that he wasn't thinking of any law at all but was trying to pound sand up his arse.

Contrary to what people think and believe, police officers can, and often do, lie to people to suit themselves.

Remmy

Im almost positive he was trying to pound sand up my arse. I thought after leaving the check point, okay so you either A want me to attempt to unload my weapon while driving the serpentine trail over the dam, or pull over and upload it in crowded parking lots. One must LOVE the logic applied here.

The Big Guy

So are you not allowed to OC over the damn? I don't get it, why is this even an issue?

I was not asked not to carry over the Damn, I was asked to put my firearm away while going through inspection only, and then reholster as I was leaving inspection. As to why it is an issue, keep these words in mind, POWER and CONTROL. (I had a hard time not patting him on the head and telling him what a good boy he was. They keep getting younger. Sorry to the younger guys on here I don't mean to offend but that happens when you get some years past you.)

TBG

AnakinsKid

I was chosen for a "random" inspection there last time I crossed. I drive an HHR Panel, so no rear windows. He had me open the hood so he could check there. I was OC, but he didn't mention it.

Remmy

Just like our federal government I suppose brittled with inconsistency.

I would have to agree the problem here is power and control. To drive home the point further, I was also NOT asked to NOT carry across the damn dam but was asked to unload while on federal property. There are others that are never stopped for OCing even while on motorcycles in plain view and others like above that get the thrill of surprise inspections and they dont say a word.

The one thing I have noticed while being active here and expressing my rights as a citizen in this once great nation is inconsistency in what is legal. from your grandmother all the way up to the legislatures of the state and everything in between. With morons like the owner of the "Gun Store" sitting on TV make outlandish false statements like as a CCW holder you must carry your blue card on you in clark county is not helping us one bit either.