• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry and Amtrack?

Landose_theghost

I'm considering going on a lil vay-kay with the wife using Amtrack train lines. Long story short, what's the word on OC whilst traveling on a train from WI? Is OC legal while on a train? Or for that matter, if OC is not a choice, how may I carry/transport if at all possible? Thanks ahead of time guys

-Landose-

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

I do know Amtrak just lifted a ban on guns as/for carry on luggage.
I dont think you can OC onboard tho.

I believe they need to be unloaded and cased(locking) per usual transport laws.

LR Yote

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Yup. As long as it is "decalred and carried in a prescribed manner". Which will probably mean the same as transporting in a car with the gun unloaded and the ammo stored seperately.

XD: You mean like transported in/on a plane. In WI, we do NOT have to have the ammo stored separately.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I'm considering going on a lil vay-kay with the wife using Amtrack train lines. Long story short, what's the word on OC whilst traveling on a train from WI? Is OC legal while on a train? Or for that matter, if OC is not a choice, how may I carry/transport if at all possible? Thanks ahead of time guys

-Landose-

While open carry on AMTRAK would appear not to violate any federal law or law of most states, AMTRAK rules appear to state they will eject you from the train for this conduct.

XDFDE45

XD: You mean like transported in/on a plane. In WI, we do NOT have to have the ammo stored separately.
Actually the "stored seperately" comment was supposed to be for the fact that we can't carry a loaded gun on our person while driving. I should have added a "(sarcasm)" at the end. But you are correct and sorry for the confussion.

oldbanger

...how may I carry/transport if at all possible? -Landose-

Firearms in Checked Baggage

Effective December 15, 2010, Amtrak will accept reservations of firearms and ammunition for carriage between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains within the United States that offer checked baggage service. Thruway Bus Services will not be included in this service change. The following policies are in effect:

* Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted.
* The passengers must travel on the same train that is transporting the checked firearms and/or ammunition.
* All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier. Please contact your departure station for more details.
* All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lb/23 kg.
* Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared.
* All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lb/5 kg.
* The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling.[sic]
* All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lb/23 kg).
* Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary.
* At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732517&cid=1248542758975

Landose_theghost

Firearms in Checked Baggage

Effective December 15, 2010, Amtrak will accept reservations of firearms and ammunition for carriage between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains within the United States that offer checked baggage service. Thruway Bus Services will not be included in this service change. The following policies are in effect:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732517&cid=1248542758975

WOW! All these "measures" to ensure the saftey of the passengers. I guess I can ride with peace of mind knowing that all the BG's have checked their firearms in the above described manner. Yea...right. EPIC FAIL AMTRAK! Epic fail...

Touchdown

Took Amtrak to Chicago and back the other day. Was surprised that there was absolutely no security checks for getting on the train, no ID check, nothing. Amtrak says only trains with baggage cars will allow firearms in checked luggage. My question is how would they stop me from carrying concealed, or having a firearm in my suitcase? Absolutely nothing is checked.

Rbwhanson

Amtrak does serve liquor on board and as such you would need written consent to carry if I understand the law correctly.

smithman

Even if OC was technically allowed on Amtrak, the Police could arrest you for having a loaded or uncased firearm in a school zone, as you no doubt will travel through one at some point.

lockman

State Researcher
While open carry on AMTRAK would appear not to violate any federal law or law of most states, AMTRAK rules appear to state they will eject you from the train for this conduct.

This is the AMTRAK version of disorderly conduct for open carry. Not specifically prohibited but they will eject you for it anyway.

lockman

State Researcher
Even if OC was technically allowed on Amtrak, the Police could arrest you for having a loaded or uncased firearm in a school zone, as you no doubt will travel through one at some point.

It certainly would be hard pressed to prove the "knowingly" part in the case of traveling on a train.

lockman

State Researcher
Took Amtrak to Chicago and back the other day. Was surprised that there was absolutely no security checks for getting on the train, no ID check, nothing. Amtrak says only trains with baggage cars will allow firearms in checked luggage. My question is how would they stop me from carrying concealed, or having a firearm in my suitcase? Absolutely nothing is checked.

They don't search your person. The DC metro in VA will search your carry-on but will let you open carry on their buses and trains. The security measures are two fold; first, to see how much liberty you are willing to sacrifice for the perception of safety and two, wait there is only one reason.