• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity

Law abider

I was thuming through the website given by my instructor that tells us what states accept our lisence. I noticed that Minnesota does not accept ours while we accept theirs. I asked Nick about this and he said that because of thee more stringent requirements there, they won't accept our CCL.
So what can be done about this? Nick said that nothing can be done. I live close to the border and work in Minneapolis. Other than taking their class by for profit instructors is there anything else I can do?

Jason in WI

I was thuming through the website given by my instructor that tells us what states accept our lisence. I noticed that Minnesota does not accept ours while we accept theirs. I asked Nick about this and he said that because of thee more stringent requirements there, they won't accept our CCL.
So what can be done about this? Nick said that nothing can be done. I live close to the border and work in Minneapolis. Other than taking their class by for profit instructors is there anything else I can do?

Not much, I belive MN just had a bill that would have fixed some issues but their governor vetoed it. WI and MN would have to come to an agreement for our permits to be recognized there and it dosen't seem like that's likely on both ends. It was discussed here not to long about how Florida extended the olive branch and WI told them to piss up a rope.

Before you get a MN permit, look into a Utah one. Its cheaper and o belive a better combination with the WI permit.

In time I believe MN will loosen their system but they may have to wait for a new governor, or pass stuff in smaller chunks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Law abider

WI and MN would have to come to an agreement for our permits to be recognized there and it dosen't seem like that's likely on both ends.
Why do we accept theirs? :question:

Jason in WI

WI and MN would have to come to an agreement for our permits to be recognized there and it dosen't seem like that's likely on both ends.
Why do we accept theirs? :question:

We recognize just about any permit as long as that state has a background check comparable to ours including a NICS check. We also recognize New York permits but they will never ever recognize ours.

Some states we recognize, wont recognize ours until we enter into a formal agreement with them.

As far as not recognizing their permits until they recognize ours, I think that would be bad and that's why some states have weird reciprocity.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Some states we recognize, wont recognize ours until we enter into a formal agreement with them.
Some states, South Carolina, won't recognize Wisconsin until their training requirements are met or exceeded. SC ST SEC 23-31-215(N)

protias

You can thank all those who wanted permits for reciprocity. :banghead:
We recognize just about any permit as long as that state has a background check comparable to ours including a NICS check. We also recognize New York permits but they will never ever recognize ours.

As far as not recognizing their permits until they recognize ours, I think that would be bad and that's why some states have weird reciprocity.

Hey, I watching you! ;)

paul@paul-fisher.com

Write the MN governor and ask why he vetoed the bill?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

protias

Every time I carry in Michigan, I am reminded that I should thank them.

If Wisconsin did not have licenses, how would that help me legally carrry in Minnesota?

In light of hearing MI is pushing for Constitutional Carry, it doesn't matter much. You'd still be able to OC in MI with a non-res permit/license from another state (with of course, following all their non-permit rules)

As for MN, you have that exactly right! The people who pushed for these pieces of paper were not looking more than 3 seconds in front of them. They all thought (especially the sheep who don't know better) they'd be able to carry in MN even though our training requirements are not as strict as theirs. And those who say ours should then be made more strict, I completely disagree. Perhaps MN shouldn't infringe upon liberty and stop infringing upon people's right to bear arms. I didn't use the word "allow" as that is what they are doing now. Permits are an infringement upon the law abiding.

E6chevron

In light of hearing MI is pushing for Constitutional Carry, it doesn't matter much. You'd still be able to OC in MI with a non-res permit/license from another state (with of course, following all their non-permit rules)

I don't understand you, or you don't understand me, maybe both.

"It doesn't matter much." huh?

Currently MI will only honor a license/permit from the person's state of residence. I need a WI CCL to carry in Michigan. What you are predicting in the future, is that I will STILL need a license/permit to carry in Michigan. Either way the CCL from Wisconsin lets me carry in Michigan.

As for MN, you have that exactly right! The people who pushed for these pieces of paper were not looking more than 3 seconds in front of them. They all thought (especially the sheep who don't know better) they'd be able to carry in MN even though our training requirements are not as strict as theirs. And those who say ours should then be made more strict, I completely disagree. Perhaps MN shouldn't infringe upon liberty and stop infringing upon people's right to bear arms. I didn't use the word "allow" as that is what they are doing now. Permits are an infringement upon the law abiding.

I did not think that the Wisconsin CCL would allow me to carry in MN. I do hope that it may, someday, or that MN goes to Constitutional Carry. I thought that a WI CCL would allow me to carry in many other states. That was/is correct. 21 states accept my CCL, not including Wisconsin or New Mexico.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

E6chevron

Looking at Gary Slider's Map: http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Built for someone who holds only a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit, as a Wisconsin resident, I would be good in

35 states, UT is accepted in, not including New Mexico
-6 Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina
(they only honor permits from the individual's state of residence.)
-1 not honored in Wisconsin, because I am a WI resident.
=====================
28 Honored in 28 states

AaronS

You had to go and bring up that GFSZ thing. Man I hate that law. Feds...

Guess I must only be safe around Wisconsin kids. It must be the water we drink?

I for one am happy that I have my Utah card to go along with my Wisconsin, but it sure is a shame that I should ever need one in the first place. I carry two permission slips now, and I am starting to think about #3. Thats a lot of cash and time to have what should be a "right". At this time I see no other way...

Just a slave to the man...

protias

You had to go and bring up that GFSZ thing. Man I hate that law. Feds...

Guess I must only be safe around Wisconsin kids. It must be the water we drink?

I for one am happy that I have my Utah card to go along with my Wisconsin, but it sure is a shame that I should ever need one in the first place. I carry two permission slips now, and I am starting to think about #3. Thats a lot of cash and time to have what should be a "right". At this time I see no other way...

Just a slave to the man...

That's why the federal GFSZ needs to go.

Law abider

Speaker Zeller's reply to me

Would you know who stopped the reciprocity?:banghead:
I wrote to house speaker in Minnesota Kurt Zellers: Dear mr Speaker:
I know you are aware that Wisconsin passed the Conceal to carry law. We who are lawabiding citizens have obtained our lisences. But no reciprocity exists between Minnesota and Wisconsin. However Wisconsin accepts Minnesota's conceal to carry lisence. Can this situation be remidiated so that Wisconsinites can carry in Minnesota?

His reply: Thank you for your question about Minnesota recognizing the validity of right to carry permits issued in other states. Last year, the legislature passed HF 1467, which contained both the Stand Your Ground law and a provision which would have allowed permits issued in other states to be recognized in Minnesota as well. This legislation was vetoed by Gov. Dayton. Although the legislature is adjourned for the remainder of this year, I do hope that reciprocity agreements will again be considered an passed by the legislature next session.

Best regards,

Kurt

Speaker Kurt Zellers
State Representative, District 32B
463 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155

office phone: 651-296-5502
office fax: 651-296-5378
email: rep.kurt.zellers@house.mn

paul@paul-fisher.com

Would you know who stopped the reciprocity?:banghead:
I wrote to house speaker in Minnesota Kurt Zellers: Dear mr Speaker:
I know you are aware that Wisconsin passed the Conceal to carry law. We who are lawabiding citizens have obtained our lisences. But no reciprocity exists between Minnesota and Wisconsin. However Wisconsin accepts Minnesota's conceal to carry lisence. Can this situation be remidiated so that Wisconsinites can carry in Minnesota?

His reply: Thank you for your question about Minnesota recognizing the validity of right to carry permits issued in other states. Last year, the legislature passed HF 1467, which contained both the Stand Your Ground law and a provision which would have allowed permits issued in other states to be recognized in Minnesota as well. This legislation was vetoed by Gov. Dayton. Although the legislature is adjourned for the remainder of this year, I do hope that reciprocity agreements will again be considered an passed by the legislature next session.

Best regards,

Kurt

Speaker Kurt Zellers
State Representative, District 32B
463 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155

office phone: 651-296-5502
office fax: 651-296-5378
email: rep.kurt.zellers@house.mn

Didn't I say that in post 8?