• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paragould: Armed task force to patrol streets, stop and ID

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
anyone know the validity of this? anyone open carry in Paragould?
http://www.paragoulddailypress.com/articles/2012/12/15/top_story/doc50cbbb312e241511092932.txt

PARAGOULD, AR -- The Police Chief says his officers will be out in force, carrying rifles, questioning where people are going and demanding IDs. If they refuse, they will be arrested. Citizens will have to prove their innocence to walk around in public.

"[Police are] going to be in SWAT gear and have AR-15s around their neck," Stovall said. "If you're out walking, we're going to stop you, ask why you're out walking, check for your ID."

"We're going to do it to everybody," he said. "Criminals don't like being talked to." "They may not be doing anything but walking their dog," he said. "But they're going to have to prove it."

Should an individual not produce identification, Stovall said his officers would not back down. Individuals who do not produce identification when asked could be charged with obstructing a governmental operation, according to Stovall. "I'm hoping we don't run across [any] of that," Stovall said. "Will there be people who buck us? There may be. But we have a right to be doing what we're doing. We have a zero-tolerance. We are prepared to throw your hind-end in jail, OK? We're not going to take a lot of flack."

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If I'm not mistaken, the last* armed insurrection we had in this country occurred in Arkansas just after WWII.

Where ever it occurred, WWII veterans returned to find out the corrupt sheriff had moved up a couple notches in a small town or county, and one of his flunkeys became sheriff. The vets learned all about the corruption from friends and family. At the next election, they supported a cleaner candidate. This was in the day of hand-written ballots. At the end of the election day, the flunkey sheriff seized the ballot boxes to take them back to the jailhouse for counting up the vote, in violation of the law whereby the ballots were supposed to be counted at the polling station or some such.

The veterans got word of the ballot box seizure, properly smelled a rat, and when rebuffed by the sheriff, broke into the armory and started handing out guns.

They beseiged the sheriff and his boss in the jail all not long. Gun fire was traded--this was a hot seige, not just threats. In the end, the sheriff and his boss lost the seige and the election.

I wonder if the sheriff in Paragould is trying to stir up something similar.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Should an individual not produce identification, Stovall said his officers would not back down. Individuals who do not produce identification when asked could be charged with obstructing a governmental operation, according to Stovall. "I'm hoping we don't run across [any] of that," Stovall said. "Will there be people who buck us? There may be. But we have a right to be doing what we're doing. We have a zero-tolerance. We are prepared to throw your hind-end in jail, OK? We're not going to take a lot of flack."[/FONT][/COLOR]

What idiots ... when they are asking for this information how close will they be? If within 5 ft, then a person can easily disarm them and get a free AR ! Sweet!

This guy should leave ARs to folks who know how to use them w/o exposing themselves to hijack.

Everyone should learn how to get a AR off a person who is too close .. its not hard at all. And it will teach you not to get too close to someone when you are carrying one. The last thing you want is to have your AR swiped from you. I had this happen to me once in training ... man did I catch heck for it...and rightfully so now looking back on it.

Ken56

Must be nice that the city is well off enough to afford this dedicated task force. They surely had to hire more officers to staff it or it would otherwise take much needed resources off the streets (regular patrol) to accomplish it. Don't you feel safer now? Yeah, right.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
http://www.paragoulddailypress.com/articles/2012/12/15/top_story/doc50cbbb312e241511092932.txt

PARAGOULD, AR -- The Police Chief says his officers will be out in force, carrying rifles, questioning where people are going and demanding IDs. If they refuse, they will be arrested. Citizens will have to prove their innocence to walk around in public.

"[Police are] going to be in SWAT gear and have AR-15s around their neck," Stovall said. "If you're out walking, we're going to stop you, ask why you're out walking, check for your ID."

"We're going to do it to everybody," he said. "Criminals don't like being talked to." "They may not be doing anything but walking their dog," he said. "But they're going to have to prove it."

Should an individual not produce identification, Stovall said his officers would not back down. Individuals who do not produce identification when asked could be charged with obstructing a governmental operation, according to Stovall. "I'm hoping we don't run across [any] of that," Stovall said. "Will there be people who buck us? There may be. But we have a right to be doing what we're doing. We have a zero-tolerance. We are prepared to throw your hind-end in jail, OK? We're not going to take a lot of flack."

They have not posted any comments posted after the 17th. Anyone know how I can find them or anyone know if they have a limit?

Last edited:

OC for ME

I think, and certainly can not prove, that the Chief has likely informed the local media to stop posting anti-police comments. Since there seems to be no indication that anyone, well maybe one or two citizens, in that town like what the cops intend to do.

Here is a statement from that thug LEA. http://paragouldpolice.org/press_view.php?id=82&PHPSESSID=5b633fe9d8faf2a506a8588ac3d0de2d

here is a follow-up story regarding the PPD statement. http://www.paragoulddailypress.com/articles/2012/12/18/top_story/doc50d08e9fb2588217300183.txt

It appears that further comments are no longer accepted re/ the latest story in the Paragould Daily Press.

Well, it seems that the chief and the mayor are on the same page. One is not talking and the other is on vacation. The ACLU is near by and just waiting for the first client to pop up. The ACLU does come in handy.

Jeff. State

Banned
Too bad they are starting this after the New Year. I could use some extra money for christmas, all I would need is a video camera and a trip to Paragould.

Chief Stovall you ******** *** **** ***!

Last edited by a moderator:

HankT

State Researcher
4th grade level

Police Chief Todd Stovall could use a refresher course in the Constitution of the United States.

"To ask you for your ID, I have to have a reason," he said. "Well, I've got statistical reasons that say I've got a lot of crime right now, which gives me probable cause to ask what you're doing out. Then when I add that people are scared...then that gives us even more [reason] to ask why are you here and what are you doing in this area."

Interesting logical conclusions. About 4th grade level, I'd estimate.

"Stovall said he did not consult an attorney before announcing his plans to combat crime."

Imagine that. Who would've guessed that?

Packer fan

Police Chief Todd Stovall could use a refresher course in the Constitution of the United States.

"To ask you for your ID, I have to have a reason," he said. "Well, I've got statistical reasons that say I've got a lot of crime right now, which gives me probable cause to ask what you're doing out. Then when I add that people are scared...then that gives us even more [reason] to ask why are you here and what are you doing in this area."

Interesting logical conclusions. About 4th grade level, I'd estimate.

"Stovall said he did not consult an attorney before announcing his plans to combat crime."

Imagine that. Who would've guessed that?

HankT, I agree with you.

PFC HALE

i would be walking around with my one finger salute ready to fly and not stop while doing it...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
i would be walking around with my one finger salute ready to fly and not stop while doing it...

Tempting. I think you would do better to walk without wallet (no identity documents), taking along a cheap new trac phone (no call history).

Then, just in case they search the new phone's call history, from your regular phone text yourself into the new phone, "Enjoying your illegal search of my phone, Officer?"

Oh, and have the local ACLU as the only speed-dial entry--labeled as the ACLU.

punisherprice

If this happened here in Nevada, id open carry AND get together some law abiding citizens to confront these guys. If i were in the same city as this joker of a cop, and couldnt openly carry, id sit a lawn chair on my property and hang out with a 12ga. Can i see some id? GET OFF MY PROPERTY OR MY REMINGTON STARTS DOING THE TALKING!

EMNofSeattle

I only wish I lived in Paragould, I'd already be planning to buy a new car. Like a Lincoln navigator And a whole line of Dan Wesson revolvers, then I'd pack up the truck and move to Beverly, Hills that is.

And I think the rest of my settlement would be enough for a large enough campaign contribution to the sheriff to get an LA county carry permit