• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol grip shotguns?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Apparently, the ATF passed down an 'interpretation' that basically states that pistol grip shotguns aren't shotguns, but rather destructive devices.

Any other thoughts on this subject?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...on-on-pistol-grip-shotguns-creates-new-danger

I think the ATF, BATF, FBI, CIA, Congress, and many others needs to figure out the difference between:

1. Honest, law-abiding citizens of the United States of America

and

2. Those who break the law.

Sonora Rebel

It's not the pistol grip... it's the barrel length.

An October 27, 2010, letter from the Firearms Technology Branch ruled that such a firearm, with a 17" barrel and 26-1/4" overall length, was not subject to the National Firearms Act.

Minumum (legal) shotgun barrel is 18". My Rem 870 is 18.25". 28.5" overall length.

Attachments

• Remington 870 12 ga.jpg
    Remington 870 12 ga.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 556

6L6GC

they classify it this way

I think the ATF, BATF, FBI, CIA, Congress, and many others needs to figure out the difference between:

1. Honest, law-abiding citizens of the United States of America

and

2. Those who break the law.

1 Those they can manipulate/control and abuse
2. Those they can't

Soonerfan

What pistol grip shotguns are they talking about? The only one that comes to my mind right off the bat is the Mossberg 500, but they, according to the mossberg, have a 18.5" barrel. http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&section=products

Now someone could say that the overall length is not 26-1/4", but then you have to notice the word "and" in the quote "An October 27, 2010, letter from the Firearms Technology Branch ruled that such a firearm, with a 17" barrel and 26-1/4" overall length, was not subject to the National Firearms Act." The mossberg 500 doesn't have BOTH a 17" barrel AND an overall length of 26-1/4", so it doesn't fall into that category. It could if the word "and" was replaced with "or", but it wasn't. BTW, I don't know what the overall length of the mossberg 500 is, but it still doesn't fall into category because of its 18.5" barrel, according to mossberg.

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Take either one of the 'regular' shotguns... Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 series; Fit them with 18.5" factory barrels and an aftermarket pistol grip and they'll both exceed 26.25" by about an inch and change. The manner in which this BATF thing is crafted appears to be a deliberate attempt at re-direction of focus to make it appear that the pistol grip is the problem, when it's actually the barrel length. I know of no commercial barrel in civilian use under 18" in length. That's the minimum standard and has been for a LONG time. The barrel on my 870 was purchased in VA back in '82 or '83. It's stamped 'For Law Enforcement Use Only' on the top of he barrel (or words to that effect).

HeroHog

So, like I asked earlier, it IS Pistol Grip AND Barrel/Overall length, not JUST the pistol grip? In otherwords, all the Pursuader kits are still good to go.

Last edited: