• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gander Mountain Academy Opening soon in Lacrosse WI

Elysium

La Crosse, WI - April 2011
Gander Mtn. Academy announces the opening of our second location in La Crosse, Wisconsin scheduled for the end of April.

I looked into this a bit. prices are kinda high. $40 for an hour of live fire indoor range or $40 for 1/2 hour of virtual range. $100-$150 for a 2 1/2 hour class. Also situational simulations for around $60 for a half hour.

This is why mandatory training would be bad. Imagine the costs that you would be forced to pay if the state required you take 5 of these classes along with 50 hours of range time. I can imagine that as training costs go this would be considered cheap! Not everyone can afford these costs to protect themselves and family.

Makes you think why they plan on opening their 2nd academy in WI. Do they plan on a huge surge of business when Wisconsin repeals the concealed weapons ban? Will they have a hand in writing the concealed weapons bill complete with mandatory training?

I am glad that they are opening this here. I would think that they are doing this because people want it, not because the state demands it. It does look really great. I think I will be visiting my brother in law in Lacrosse after April to check it out.

https://academy.gandermountain.com

skorittnig

No surprise here- Gander's prices are so out of line...I haven't bought a thing there in a few years. In fact, a good friend of mine recently ceased working at one---He grew tired of being the whipping post for customers who were disgusted with prices set by the idiot sitting behind a desk somewhere.

Luckily, we have some good gunshops in my area--and of course...Scheel's is 100 yards away from Gander.

skorittnig

Elysium

Yeah Im also looking at a pistol at Gander and at another place. Gander is quite a bit more. For instance a Ruger LCP(not what Im looking at) is 360 at gander and only 300 at a local gun shop. I think the Gander acadamey would be worth checking out once or twice, but at that price I cant afford to do that often.

johnny amish

Yeah Im also looking at a pistol at Gander and at another place. Gander is quite a bit more. For instance a Ruger LCP(not what Im looking at) is 360 at gander and only 300 at a local gun shop. I think the Gander acadamey would be worth checking out once or twice, but at that price I cant afford to do that often.

Interesting thing, Gander will price match on ammo but no way if you ask for the same on firearms.

CalicoJack10

This is just their big corporate push to try and get the unsuspecting gun owner to waste money on less than acceptable items. And with CCW in Wisconsin being such a hot issue, they think that this will get them more business.

Gander mountain has been trying for years to make "Fast Food Workers" out of firearms instructors and gunsmiths. Here, take a class, your certified, GO!!!! They have no concept of the fact that gunsmithing is far more than just replacing a broken part, and teaching is far more than reading a script.

YAY Corporate Greed!!!!