• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new guy here and i want to start oc'ing

slocav

Hey everyone what's going on? I really want to start oc'ing my gun here in Irvine ky. I especially want to coming up here at the end of this month. They have what's called the mushroom festival. It a public event outside downtown and want to know what I am limited to. Some states you can't carry a particular round etc. So far I haven't seen anything in ky laws that govern that. Someone said if someone doesn't like it the police may either tell me to put my gun up or arrest me for causing a scene. Also anyone have a link to those oc cards and pamphlets because the links are not working. Thanks guys and gals I'm glad I found this site its been very informative.

Last edited:

UnfetteredMight

Hey everyone what's going on? I really want to start oc'ing my gun here in Irvine ky. I especially want to coming up here at the end of this month. They have what's called the mushroom festival. It a public event outside downtown and want to know what I am limited to. Some states you can't carry a particular round etc. So far I haven't seen anything in ky laws that govern that. Someone said if someone doesn't like it the police may either tell me to put my gun up or arrest me for causing a scene. Also anyone have a link to those oc cards and pamphlets because the links are not working. Thanks guys and gals I'm glad I found this site its been very informative.

So strap it on and go. Seriously though, your smart to prepare yourself for the possibility of harassment. Just know the laws and stand your ground.

There is a law stepping up the class of the crime if you use hollow points in a crime, but for your purposes, no ammo limitations.

They may tell you to put it up, but just refuse, you don't have to. A disorderly conduct charge requires you to be doing something that serves no legitimate purpose, self defense is a legitimate purpose.

As a matter of technicality, be aware if your within 1000' of a school zone or daycare without a CCDW. Although this is a Federal law and no one knows of any local LEO arresting someone on this, best to be aware of the possibility as no one can say if they can or not.

Outside of that, no county or city can make laws against OC so don't let them tell you it's a city ordinance, because they are either lying or the law is illegal.

I don't really have links to those documents you want, but I'm sure someone who does will be along soon enough.

langzaiguy

Welcome! With a good search, you'll find some clarity on just about every issue. He's what I've got for you:

1)I believe hollow points are only illegal in KY if used in a felony. From what I understand, it's just another charge they can tack on if you murder someone.

2)If you're stopped, the burden of proof is on the officer.

3)If stopped, ask if you're being detained. If you're not, then go about your business. If you are, ask what crime they are investigating and ask how it relates to you.

4)There is no "disturbing the peace" in the KRS. As far as Disorderly Conduct goes, Unfettered is dead on. I would only add that DC only applies if you are INTENDING to disrupt.

5)Just be natural, respectful, and people will rarely notice.

6)No shrooms while you're carrying

slocav

Nice thanks guys. The school thing I'm good on the nearest is like 3 miles from town. The only thing in town that's school related is the main office. Hope I'm good with that part.

slocav

Thanks everyone. Now I gotta get the nerve to do it lol. My wife doesn't want me to but I will when she isn't with me lol.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Holland vs. Commonwealth. If u get stopped by an Leo just mention that case. I did and the city cop decided he didn't want a lawsuit I guess, it really helps to b informed of laws, attorney general findings, and past lawsuits when u r being harassed for a protected activity in this state.

CharleyCherokee

Same deal with my wife. :p She's afraid that if I had a gun it would magically start shooting by itself or something. However, I'll be buying a pistol sometime in the near future anyway. What'd be a good "first" pistol. Can't claim to know much about firearms, but I know quite a bit about blades. ;)

xmanhockey7

Same deal with my wife. :p She's afraid that if I had a gun it would magically start shooting by itself or something. However, I'll be buying a pistol sometime in the near future anyway. What'd be a good "first" pistol. Can't claim to know much about firearms, but I know quite a bit about blades. ;)

Get something that feels good to you and that you like. Id suggest getting a striker fire gun like a Glock or Springfield. Both are great, easier to learn to use and handle than say a 1911, and are inexpensive for the quality of gun you get.

langzaiguy

Great advice from xman! (does that mean you're no longer a man, xman?) I've got a Ruger SR9 that is striker-fired--I like it because it has a large capacity--17 +1. You really can't go wrong with Glock, Springfield, or Ruger. My CC weapon of choice is the Sig P238.

neuroblades

Personal EDC Choices. :)

I hear alot of people mentioning the Glock and Springfield XD or XDM are entry-level and I have to agree, those are good entry-level sidearms. Personally, of those 2 choices, I'd go with the XDM, I'm not much for the Glocks. *LOL* It's just a personal thing but Glocks are good.

My personal EDC choices are:

SIG Sauer P229 SCT - My Primary
SIG Sauer P229 Elite - My BUG
SureFire C2 - Light
Cold Steel Double Agent - Blade

Welcome to the forum CharleyCherokee. :)

Last edited:

CharleyCherokee

No ammo limitations?

Looking through the good book KRS 237.080 states

It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly manufacture, sell, deliver, transfer, or import armor-piercing ammunition.

While it doesn't state it's unlawful to possess it, it is unlawful for anyone to sell it to you within the state or for you to make it yourself within the state. Therefore if you have it on you take the 5th to keep from ratting out the person who sold it to you they could still make a case that you imported the ammo. First offense is class D felony second and after is class C. Maybe I'm reading into this too much?

UnfetteredMight

Looking through the good book KRS 237.080 states

It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly manufacture, sell, deliver, transfer, or import armor-piercing ammunition.

While it doesn't state it's unlawful to possess it, it is unlawful for anyone to sell it to you within the state or for you to make it yourself within the state. Therefore if you have it on you take the 5th to keep from ratting out the person who sold it to you they could still make a case that you imported the ammo. First offense is class D felony second and after is class C. Maybe I'm reading into this too much?

I was referring to it's use in SD, nothing there says you can't shoot someone with it.

....unless they consider that a "transfer" LOL

Last edited:

slocav

Possibly I just buy pre made ammo at a gun store. I have Remington golden sabers in it so I don't think that law applies to me on my ammo.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Glock 23 gen. 4 or rtf2 if u can still find one and a glock27 for bug or concealed carry. Smooth consistent trigger pull at 5 1/2lbs. No heavy double action first shot, so no 2 trigger pulls to get used to, thin, low profile slide and frame, and as reliable as u can get. when I open carry I use a Blackhawk SERpa holster, a galco king tuk for concealed carry, both r sum of the most comfy holsters I have worn. Both guns will work in both holsters. I carry one fifteen rd. Magazine for reload or malfunction clearing. And flashlight when dark. When I'm in that life and death situation I want the simplest gun I can find, and for me that is the glock.

KYKevin

The only restriction on ammo in the KRS, that I'm aware of, is the prohibition on committing a crime while using "flanged ammunition". Nobody knows what "flanged ammunition" is. This statute was passed a few years ago when everyone was peeing in there pants about Black Talon ammo. Winchester finally changed the name and magically everything was OK, again. I did a google search for "flanged ammunition" and got some nonsense about African big game ammunition, I doubt that is what was meant in the KRS. There is a definition in the law but it is useless. Just don't commit a crime and it won't matter what it is.

Flanged Ammunition: Kentucky prohibits the use of firearms loaded with flanged ammunition during the commision of a felony. Flanged ammunition is ammunition with a soft lead core and sharp flanges that are designed to expand upon impact. ky. rev. stat. ann. 237.060, 527.080.

neuroblades

From Massad Ayoob

As bad as it might sound, I'd never heard of this before this post, like many others. So, I did a little research and ran across this from the man himself, Massad Ayoob:

"You stumped me with that one, Caine. I had never even heard the term "flanged ammunition" until your post.

I consulted with Bren, a Glock Talk regular. Bren is an attorney who works in the criminal justice area in Kentucky, and I consider him Glock Talk's resident expert on Kentucky law. He confirms that the law exists.

I get the impression that it was a legislative knee-jerk reaction to the Black Talon controversy back in the Nineties. Bren's take is: don't worry about it. The law as written makes it an additional crime to use such ammunition while committing another crime, explains Bren, and does not prohibit the possession, carry, or use of this ammunition.

What it does do is piggyback another conviction on you, should you be wrongfully convicted after using your gun in self-defense. In that situation, of course, you'd have a lot more to worry about. For my part, I'll continue to carry Ranger-T in my 9mm, or Ranger-T or HST in my .45, when passing through Kentucky.

Many thanks to Bren for the consult and the wise advice, and thanks to Caine for bringing it up. I learned something here.

best to all,
Mas"

SOURCE: http://glocktalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1221593.html