• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Current State of ALOC & My Role In It

eye95

Your intentions notwithstanding, your site has become the OC movement in Alabama. If you respect that movement, you will accept that fact and do more than pay lip service to not being the leader, but in fact move toward subordinating your tool to the movement and truly making the movement grassroots.

You can see my criticism as a lack of respect. You, not I, are responsible for how you view things. But, my criticism will not stop until there is no longer a reason to criticize. You may exercise the power to shut my criticism up on your site, but, when you bring it here, every time you bring it here, I will respond with further criticism of the heavy-handed way you have tried to control the movement.

Please don't play the my-hands-are-clean card. They are not. You just had more power in the situation.

On edit: I would rather see an organization formally created and ALOC join that movement as an arm of it in a true grassroots manner. If the person who exercises control over the site is unwilling to have that happen, then I will lend support (time, money, and effort) to making it happen independent of ALOC. That would be a shame.

Last edited:

AirBear

Di,
My 2 cents worth.
If it were not for your devotion to the cause of promoting OC awareness, your inteligence to create the site, your drive to see it through, your time to guide its devlopment, none of us here on this site would be benefiting from it.
This site is well respected not only in Alabama but nationwide. It provides its intended purpose, of educating the public, and those inquiring about the laws of Alabama as they pertain to open carry of firearms.
You have succeded in your quest to see your thoughts of providing a venue for like minded individuals to come together and further the cause of open carry.
For the hard work and many hours you have devoted to this project, I can say nothing but thank you.
Your intent and methods are both honorable from where I stand.

Last edited:

Ruger .454

There are at least 47 references to self in the opening post of this thread. This is very revealing indeed, and stands as a guidpost to those who would understand the author's internal needs for writing it and the REAL current state of ALOC.

Last edited:

OC4U

There are at least 47 references to self in the opening post of this thread. This is very revealing indeed, and stands as a guidpost to those who would understand the author's internal needs for writing it and the REAL current state of ALOC.

There are at least 2 references to A$$holes after the opening post. :rolleyes: ROFL

SFCRetired

Personal opinion (and not addressed to any one individual): If, and I say "If", there's going to be a urinating contest, why are you putting it on OCDO for everyone, not just those in Alabama, to see?

My Dad told me a long, long time ago to keep the family's dirty laundry within the family. And here we have members of the ALOC family airing the dirty laundry in a very public manner. This should have been discussed, IMNSHO, via PMs or email.

No, I'm not a mod. Just expressing my personal opinion.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Okay, if you don't like "founder" or "president", why not call yourself what you see yourself as: The WEBMASTER!

That title, as I see your expressed intention in creating your site, would be the most accurate one available. Or, if that one doesn't quite suite, how about ADMINISTRATOR?

There ya go. Sorted for ya!
Hope all goes well for your endeavor.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

But, my criticism will not stop until there is no longer a reason to criticize.

Howdy!
Those who can... do! Those who can't, criticize!

Would that quoted line justify my criticism of your failure to provide documentation to another post (which you haven't) by following you around to ask why you haven't provided that information?

I will stop my criticism when there is no longer a reason to criticize your claim that members of the OCDO forum called for revolt against our government. Where is your proof? I'm calling you out on that point.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Kirbinator

Respectfully,

True "grassroots" is democracy, and that doesn't work too well. The Republic is a better form.

I think if anything, grassroots needs to be defined. Dictatorship has been defined. What does "grassroots" mean?

Daylen

Respectfully,

True "grassroots" is democracy, and that doesn't work too well. The Republic is a better form.

I think if anything, grassroots needs to be defined. Dictatorship has been defined. What does "grassroots" mean?

Successful organizations I've been a part of in the past have always had a Constitution, Bylaws, elected officers (direct election or by a directly elected board of directors) and maybe an elected board of directors for larger organizations. Also, the successful ones had a weak executive and a strong board of directors or such body; the least successful had less written organization and a strong executive.

eye95

Respectfully,

Grassroots means that power filters up from the bottom. Our nation was founded to be grassroots, but has fallen away from that to some extent. The State gained its authority to govern from the People. The federal government gained its limited power from the States' having agreed to give it some of their power through the Constitution.

Almost all other governments in the world are top-down. Some think France has a government similar to ours, since they have a central government, departments (the rough equivalent of our States) beneath that, and further political subdivisions under the departments. The difference is that, in France, the departments are subordinate to the central government. France is a top-down hierarchy. Power is vested in the central government. Yes, the people, through elections, choose most of the members of that central government. However, France does not recognize the individual as supreme, as our system was designed to do (but is moving away from).

The most extreme form of top-down government is the dictatorship, where one man has all the power. He may delegate some authority to others in a hierarchical structure, but he will not tolerate his underlings straying too far from his party line.

In organizations, the tea parties are probably the best examples of grass roots. Individuals may exercise leadership roles, but the power and the direction of movement comes from the masses of people who have banded loosely together and chosen to move in the same direction. The Brady Bunch are probably the best example of a top-down, non-grassroots organization. The people don't set the direction. The leadership does, and the people follow. The NRA is top-down to a slightly lesser extent. They use their massive membership. They are not moved by it.

On a scale of US as founded, US as now, France, and dictatorship, ALOC is probably at the France level and needs to move through US as now, all the way to US as founded, that is tea-partyish.

That was an awful lot to convey the idea of "grassroots." However, grassroots is not one man whose desires hold sway, even if he is willing to listen to the ideas of others. He MUST defer to direction from the masses. He MUST be open to unretaliated criticism of his actions. He MUST rely on the servant model of leadership, not a controlling model.

The movement of OC in AL has grown large enough that we need to form a grassroots organization, one that is capable of accepting leadership if it represents the desires of the masses, or rejecting it when it becomes arbitrary and capricious.

I would prefer that that grassroots organization grow out of the existing group of people at ALOC and that ALOC become the Internet arm of that group, even to the point where the two are indistinguishable. Alternatively, the group could be formed independently of ALOC, with ALOC signing on in a support role and adopting a bottom-up model. The least palatable, but still acceptable, option would be a separate group is formed, creates its own Internet arm, and works with an independent ALOC which can maintain whatever structure the person who chooses to maintain control over it desires.

Ultimately, any grassroots organization for OC in AL will be the effort of a group of people who draw others along who will select a leadership group that moves in the direction the group would have it move.

It is going to happen. It is just a matter of how it happens. I hope the membership of ALOC does it from within. That may or may not be possible.

eye95

Successful organizations I've been a part of in the past have always had a Constitution, Bylaws, elected officers (direct election or by a directly elected board of directors) and maybe an elected board of directors for larger organizations. Also, the successful ones had a weak executive and a strong board of directors or such body; the least successful had less written organization and a strong executive.

The most successful ones I have belonged to followed this model, with the executive handling day-to-day business, leaving navigation to the group of directors.

Again, I hope this move comes from within ALOC. If it doesn't, you would be a great asset in helping organize it from without. SFCRetired has expressed a strong interest in helping. Kirbinator has a good head on his shoulders, and we sure could use his level-headedness. It would be great if Dianosis came along; that just may not be possible.

There are many others I can think of whom I would love their support. Johathon is a get-it-done kind of guy who is obviously willing to take risks. Ruger is passionate, even if we don't always agree on methods. Ranger is an organization man. Hoss has heart and drive. McDonalk (Mystic) thinks things through, coming to thoughtful conclusions (again, not always in agreement with mine ;) ). There are lots of other good folks at ALOC and here. We can get it done through ALOC or not, but we can get it done.

All we need is a core of six to ten founding members.

Kirbinator

Well, regardless of whatever has happened, the past is past. We can't magic the schism closed and make the church whole again in one wave of a hand. Let's move past that and figure out a direction or several directions to move it and make this a positive point for the community, the state, and the "membership".

Therefore and forthright, I'm going to ask that anyone who has any ideas on organizing an organization step forward, throw out the bits that they know best and understand, the pros and cons, and what they want to see most in an organization and what goals it should accomplish. Try to keep civil, please do not use this as an open invitation to attack each other for faults real, imagined, and slights of the past. If you were organizing a group tomorrow, how would you do it?

eye95

See? Level-headed.

Let's start a new thread for those ideas. That has the best chance of a non-partisan start. It would probably be better if I did not start it. Would you?

Kirbinator

Again, I hope this move comes from within ALOC. If it doesn't, you would be a great asset in helping organize it from without. SFCRetired has expressed a strong interest in helping. Kirbinator has a good head on his shoulders, and we sure could use his level-headedness. It would be great if Dianosis came along; that just may not be possible.

There are many others I can think of whom I would love their support. Johathon is a get-it-done kind of guy who is obviously willing to take risks. Ruger is passionate, even if we don't always agree on methods. Ranger is an organization man. Hoss has heart and drive. McDonalk (Mystic) thinks things through, coming to thoughtful conclusions (again, not always in agreement with mine ;) ). There are lots of other good folks at ALOC and here. We can get it done through ALOC or not, but we can get it done.

All we need is a core of six to ten founding members.

Thank you for your kind words, but are we building an organization or following a yellow brick road? Who is going to wear the Ruby Slippers? :D

riverrat10k

Ok, I have something to add NOW

Don't know what personal beefs y'all in AL have with each other, but I think there are lessons to be learned from this board.

Contact the MI guys (I think), us in VA, and some PA guys, or dig into the threads. Why?

MI was using OCDO as their "official" organizational website for Michigan Open Carry and things got acrimonious to some degree. There are pages and pages of stuff, people leaving , bashing, all kinds of crap. Some of it was over the OC of an AR variant to a meet-up.

There is little action in the PA section of this board because folks up there do most of their posting through PAFOA, the Penn. Firearm Owners Association board. We always get their stuff later here. They post there first. PAFOA does rightous work.

In VA, the most politically active and successful 2A group is the VCDL, the Virginia Citizens Defense League. They are a dues paying membership deal, have their own website, send a newsletter and on-line updates, sometimes mesh with OCDO, and many folks move seamlessly between the two groups, but VCDL is not OC specific. As far as I know, we have no "Virginia Open Carry" group but use OCDO to do meet-ups and such. There is no open carry "leadership" except by example.

OCDO is a free message board owned by John and Mike. They are God here.

I guess my point is, there is a lot of room in the space. Start your own newsletter. Start your own website. Start whatever the hell you want. I am a free market guy. As the comic George Carlin said in one of his bits, "If you don't like the weather, MOVE!". Trying to mold something someone else set up into your vision is foolish, IMO, kinda like trying to reform a spouse.

Best of luck to all of you rights advocates in the great State of Alabama. Iron out your differences or not, but move our freedoms foreward. The cream will rise to the top.

Sic Semper Tyrannus,

Riverrat.

Packin'

Guys and gals! I don't know what happened, but I hate to see it aired out for the world to read... the same world that may already think we are nuts... now, they have confirmation. I have learned much from the ALOC site, but mostly from the posts that I read there, many of which were made by Ruger, Daylen, Ranger, and Eye. Yes, there are more, but these are some of the brightest that really stand out. And I admit I do have some extra respect for Dianosis for starting and managing the website; that is a daunting task, and I don't see how I could expect him to do more. We all want the same thing - our RKBA not to be infringed. I am not opposed to the formation of an organization if that is what it takes to make it happen. I will say that I don't want another leader, another boss, or another organization (public or private) to "tell" me what I can and can't do. We have so many rediculous rules and laws already that the people paid to enforce them don't know all of them. Most of us are tired of infringement of our lives, governmental or otherwise. We really want our freedom. It would be an impossible task to get this group all in agreement because, by our nature, we are open minded, out-of-the-box thinking, "show me proof," and freedom loving. Cookie cutter likely will not work. One more point: text is a difficult communication tool because you lose the personal parts: meanings get twisted, humor is seen as offensive, and frustration/advice gets confused with anger/demands. I think a meetup is in order to have face-to-face communication and move forward. Thanks to everyone for everything you have done thus far. Don't lose steam now.