• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Missive To Propsective Microbreweries Across America

()pen(arry

Dear Upstart-Homebrewer-Who-Took-Out-A-Loan-And-Registered-A-Business-Name,

Your ****** pale ale is exactly as terrible as the ****** pale ale made by every other upstart-homebrewer-who-took-out-a-loan-and-registered-a-business-name and decided it would be super-duper clever to crank out yet another generic beer. That you only just recently discovered hops and flavor after decades of drinking watery swill does not mean there's anything original about using excessive hops in a "craft" beer with too little sophistication to develop decent flavor. You will be bankrupt within three years, so save us all the menu space and quit now.

Love and kisses,
Matthew

Author's Note:
There are absolutely a number of very well-made, delicious, and properly-balanced pale ales out there, many of which actually come from microbreweries in America. Has anyone else noticed, though, the astonishing number of pale ales that enter the market every year for the last decade, or so, nearly all of which are simply terrible? It's like several hundred 40-year-old frat boys with decent credit suddenly had their first real beer and decided they were going to get in early on this new actually-good-tasting-beer thing that hasn't already existed for several hundred years. Maybe it's just me :)

Tawnos

Dear Upstart-Homebrewer-Who-Took-Out-A-Loan-And-Registered-A-Business-Name,

Your ****** pale ale is exactly as terrible as the ****** pale ale made by every other upstart-homebrewer-who-took-out-a-loan-and-registered-a-business-name and decided it would be super-duper clever to crank out yet another generic beer. That you only just recently discovered hops and flavor after decades of drinking watery swill does not mean there's anything original about using excessive hops in a "craft" beer with too little sophistication to develop decent flavor. You will be bankrupt within three years, so save us all the menu space and quit now.

Love and kisses,
Matthew

Author's Note:
There are absolutely a number of very well-made, delicious, and properly-balanced pale ales out there, many of which actually come from microbreweries in America. Has anyone else noticed, though, the astonishing number of pale ales that enter the market every year for the last decade, or so, nearly all of which are simply terrible? It's like several hundred 40-year-old frat boys with decent credit suddenly had their first real beer and decided they were going to get in early on this new actually-good-tasting-beer thing that hasn't already existed for several hundred years. Maybe it's just me :)

I guess the breweries up here in the PNW are just better ;)

DrakeZ07

I have no intention on starting a micro brewery, however, I'll just take it as being true, most Micro brew IPA's I've had, are as craptastic as commercial IPA's.

Me? I'll stick to brewing my Apricot Mead, and Dark German Stouts :D <3

()pen(arry

There are an awful lot of beers I like drinking. My core repertoire, which can cover any mood, consists of (in no particular order):

Spaten Lager
Kostritzer
Guinness Extra Stout
Franziskaner Dunkel
Optimator
Smithwick's
Corsendonk
Harp
Celebrator
Paulaner 1634
Yeti Oak Aged Imperial Stout
Dogfish Head 90 Minute and Punkin Ale
Left Hand Milk Stout
Anything from Samuel Smith

I like good beer. Sometimes I like hoppy beers, but rarely, and the ones I do like have excellent flavor, not just hoppiness. These "clever" microtards can have their I-just-stopped-drinking-MGD lamefests together. I'll be over here, drinking good beer, much of which has been made for 100+ years.

But I'm overly-opinionated, and often a douchebag. :)

P.S. Once upon a time, Black Sheep Ale was distributed in Dallas. I miss that beer so much...

Tawnos

When I was last down in Texas (December), the beer selection was pretty bad. Have you found that to be the case?

()pen(arry

When I was last down in Texas (December), the beer selection was pretty bad. Have you found that to be the case?

There are some places you can go to get good beer, like The Flying Saucer, which originated in Fort Worth and has locations all over DFW and the country. In fact, I was at their Addison location when I posted this thread. The guy who picks the menu likes to bring in a lot of the ****** pale ales I was talking about.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Hawaii is similar, they have horrible selections in beer. They used to drink bud and have moved to Heineken give them another 30 years they might get some micro's going. (Not that they don't have a few, just not many and really don't compare to the PNW)

riverrat10k

Key West can be bad. One major distributor.

Legend Brewing Co. in Richmond, VA makes lager, pilsner, brown ale, golden IPA, and many others. Now distributed throughout VA and NC.

Best around.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Specs is like the WalMart of "lick 'er" stores down here. They have a decent selection even in their small town store like the one in Elgin. Bastrop is even better, and I'm told the ones in Austin are stocked well. Our local store carries at least a 100 different styles.

I started out drinking Weiss Beers about 10 years ago, but my passion now is IPA's. I still try the occassional Porter and Bocks. Very rarely do I actually get a beer I'd just never drink again. I tried a few Christmas Ales this past holiday, and thought they all tasted like Pine Candles. They sukt.