• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat 5/19/12 9:30 AM River City Diner Parham @ I-95

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
To those I met last saturday. Do you guys go to the same place every time or a different location???

Sometimes the same, sometimes different. I expect
I'll come back this weekend and go to River City. There's a gunshow.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It seems someone is eager to meet for breakfast, so we'll go ahead and set the place so he does not get lost.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?102965-Same-place-same-time

Hope he brings hid jumper cables again, just in case they are needed again.

And it looks like at least a few of us will ne heading to the gun show afterwards.

stay safe.

ETS - So I cannot read a calendar - make that 5/19. Picky folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Peter's bears will be glad to get their woods back in time for their Saturday picnic.
Now if he could only induce them to eat snakes.

Will be there, maybe with jumper cables, definitely with an appetite.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
should I bring boxing gloves?

Not unless you are planning to ship something by UPS or FedEx.

Besides cranky ol' men don't fight according to Marquess of Queensberry rules - how do you think they lived long enough to be cranky ol' men?

scouser

I gotta miss this one (and a lot more of them), although you can tell Courtney that me & L might stop by for coffee, milk & a couple of biscuits on Monday.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
We're going to try to get up early enough to make the trek, since there's a gun show too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
14 brothers and sisters gathered to share the latest news at RCD before the gun show. As usual a bit of business was conducted on the sidewalk outside the front entrance, as well as some show-and-tell in the parking lot behind open doors.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It was good seeing everyone, even met Tanner...kinda:uhoh:
Went to the show and bought a new swiss army knife, jousted with Skidmark, then OC'ed at Cold Harbor Restaurant. It's a regular stop so no issues. Then I had to go to the coast to do some work and squeezed in some test time.

I'm not especially happy. I transcoded an MTS file to DnxHD, then edited it in After Effects, transcoded again then one more time into H264 to go to a French host. I see Artifacts and can't figure out why:uhoh::banghead:

Anyway...great to see everyone!

[video=dailymotion;xqxw0j]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqxw0j_3rdtimeout-for-upload_travel[/video]

Last edited:

Tanner

I assume that video was from that recorder you had on you. If so it is a great picture. Why do you edit in after effects? That program was ment for special effects like rotoscoping. Try editing with a program called AVID. It is great for quick editing and still has things you need like color correction.

p.s after breakfast I OCed at my parents then went home......no problems <-----still about OC

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I assume that video was from that recorder you had on you. If so it is a great picture. Why do you edit in after effects? That program was ment for special effects like rotoscoping. Try editing with a program called AVID. It is great for quick editing and still has things you need like color correction.

p.s after breakfast I OCed at my parents then went home......no problems <-----still about OC

No, it's not from the Q3, it's from my Panasonic and I used a Nikon 55mm prime on it.
I have Several Avid NLE's and they're OK for cutting and posting on You Tube, but I don't know any videograpers that still use any of their products. The DNXHD Codcs are Avid and work well but their software has gotten progressively worse over the years.

I generally edit using Adobe Premier Pro with Plural Eyes Plug in to sync the secondary audio, Adjust the audio in Audition, cutting the clips to length then move the project files with AD over to After Effects with the Color GHears plug in and Neat Video to reduce noise. Color Grading and Correction are done there as well as any other adjustments, then transcoded into whatever format I need for the finished product.

Whoever told you any AVID NLE's were the thing to use, doesn't know what he's talking about!

The problem with the video isn't in the video itself, it's in the heavy compression that host site put on it. Not much I can do about that except host it elsewhere that uses less compression and embed it where I want.

This has a reasonable amount of compression even though I'm not a fan of Vimeo either. At least they don't ball my Videos up.

[video=vimeo;39239010]https://vimeo.com/39239010[/video]

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is the same area without the compression butchers:

[video=vimeo;39120552]https://vimeo.com/39120552[/video]

Tanner

Yea premiear is good to. And I totally agree that AVID is out dated. Every since mac came out with final cut AVID has lost the market. You must do this for a living. That or you are a super hobbiest. Thats awesome that you use audition for sound. Audio is the most under appriciated part of video production. I interned for the Carolina Panthers weekly tv show and panthervision they had all this fancy equipment and none of it was for audio.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yea premiear is good to. And I totally agree that AVID is out dated. Every since mac came out with final cut AVID has lost the market. You must do this for a living. That or you are a super hobbiest. Thats awesome that you use audition for sound. Audio is the most under appriciated part of video production. I interned for the Carolina Panthers weekly tv show and panthervision they had all this fancy equipment and none of it was for audio.

Funny you mention audio. Most people neglect it like you said, but I do mostly Doc's and while you can get away with average to poor video in them, audio is king and also the hardest part to get right. I can video from a hundred yards with my 800 mm lens but I have to be within 4 feet to get good audio into the H4N, even using a good mic on a boom. Gets kind of interesting for a 1 or 2 man crew.

ToggleSwitch

... Every since mac came out with final cut AVID has lost the market. ...

I too have been doing motion graphics, visual effects and video production for the past 8 to 10 years or so. After Effects is fine for editing if you only need to make a quick cut or two. Opening up a whole new project just for a short clip is a waste of time and space. Also Final Cut is though now that they have FC-X (a joke of a program). Adobe is going to take the headway and destroy what apple had with CS6 and CS6.5.

Last edited: