• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Bank Carry

ADulay

All,

As this subject seems to come up on a few of the other forums with amazing regularity, I'll just add this small anecdote from today.

Had to go to the local bank to update some information on the account to add another co-signer.

As I was coming from the shooting range to the bank, I was open carrying on the motorcycle, of course.

When I got to the parking lot, I was parked next to one of the bank tellers as she was headed into work. She asked me "What kind of Glock was that?"

A female who asks "What kind of Glock is that"?? The fact that she knew it was a Glock was amazing enough.

I told her and as I was putting on my cover garment, we walked into the bank and had the meetings as needed.

She never mentioned the gun for the rest of the meeting or when I walked on down to another station to do some other banking business.

Concealed carry in a bank in Florida is legal of course but it's just that she just tossed me a curve ball when asking about the gun BY NAME!!

Another excellent open carry experience.

AD

Ironside

AD,

Maybe she is just a good ol' southern gal and to her its a "glock", not a Glock, just like any can of soda is a "coke" ?

Just sayin'

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
AD,

Maybe she is just a good ol' southern gal and to her its a "glock", not a Glock, just like any can of soda is a "coke" ?

Just sayin'

Wait up man, I'm the one who's supposed to make derisive misogynist statements... What the hell?

:p

A woman's guide?

journalists-guide-to-guns-1.jpg

FireStar M40

Open Carry In Florida..

"A Dulay" said in part..

"As I was coming from the shooting range to the bank, I was open carrying on the motorcycle, of course."

And then ended his post with..

Another excellent open carrying experience.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

I know it says here on this OpenCarry.org web site, ie: "Open carry of firearms is legal in while engaged in, or going directly to and from, Fishing, Camping, Hunting, or a target shooting range."

I thought open carrying in Florida was illegal unless, as stated in the law, one was "going directly to and from"... which I interpreted as being "directly without interruption" to or from the original place the firearm is being normally stored.

Please realize I'm NOT suggesting that the original poster did anything wrong, nor were they trying to cut a fine line when it came to the law, but wouldn't the fact that a "side trip" to the bank be "technically" breaking the law? As I read it, he didn't go directly to or from.

Thanks to all those who answer to clarify my understanding of the situation.

FireStar M40

shastadude17

He did specifically say that when he reached the bank he put on a cover garment, thus becoming CC. I see nothing wrong with what the OP did. However if he OC'd the whole time and didn't have a CCW permit and had a bag of weed on him, I still wouldn't see anything wrong with what he did. 'Merica.

notalawyer

"A Dulay" said in part..

And then ended his post with..

Am I missing something here? :confused:

I know it says here on this OpenCarry.org web site, ie: "Open carry of firearms is legal in while engaged in, or going directly to and from, Fishing, Camping, Hunting, or a target shooting range."

I thought open carrying in Florida was illegal unless, as stated in the law, one was "going directly to and from"... which I interpreted as being "directly without interruption" to or from the original place the firearm is being normally stored.

Please realize I'm NOT suggesting that the original poster did anything wrong, nor were they trying to cut a fine line when it came to the law, but wouldn't the fact that a "side trip" to the bank be "technically" breaking the law? As I read it, he didn't go directly to or from.

FireStar M40

The law does not contain the word "directly".....
790.25(3)(h)
A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

ADulay

FireStar M40
FireStar,

Thanks for taking the time to question my posts. This is always a good thing when discussing all things "open carry".

You may (or may not) have read of my ongoing 2 year experiment with open carry in Florida. I do it EVERY SINGLE DAY and do it on a motorcycle.

Luckily for me I have the time and patience to do this and so far, only a few "traffic stops" have interrupted the daily open carry and in EVERY stop, I was sent happily on my way still open carrying as the law is pretty black and white on this.

In this particular episode, I was coming back from the shooting range, open carrying, as I always do. I stopped at the bank, put on a cover garment and did my bank business. The key here is that I was coming FROM the shooting range TO the bank.

Now, if I then decided to open carry and ride the motorcycle home, this would not be technically legal as I was coming from the bank and not the shooting range.

Make sense?

However, I did take my cover garment off when I left the bank as I was then headed over to a local fishing pier so open carry was once again, the proper call.

Many people have asked me if I really do "fish and/or shoot" every day. The answer is a definite yes. With all of the excellent areas for fishing all over the west coast of Florida, you have to take advantage of it! As for shooting, I'm usually at the range every other day for one reason or another.

The bottom line is that I really do open carry every single day and have been doing this ever since I learned of FloridaCarry's Open Carry Saturday fishing events. (Shameless plug there).

AD (open carry advocate, full time)

Last edited:

Ironside

The law does not contain the word "directly".....
790.25(3)(h)

You are absolutely correct on that. What most seem to forget or ignore is the word "expedition" which implies a journey that includes stops or interludes to resupply provisions, fuel, meals, ammo or finances. Of course, in absence of case law, this might make someone a test case.

Had AD OC'ed into the bank he could have very well been just that ...