• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rifle Team missing from HS Yearbook

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://tinyurl.com/p33pzpl

EMMAUS, Pa. -
Some parents in Lehigh County want to know why Emmaus High School’s championship rifle team was not included in the school’s new yearbook.

Parents said Andrew Moxey, the high school’s yearbook advisor, suggested that Herb did not turn in the picture on time. They said that angered Herb, who told one of them: “I’m really upset. I feel like I got thrown under the bus.”

The parents said Herb told them the rifle team photo was one of the best he took for the yearbook. He’s offered to send it to all rifle team members for free.

Donatelli said some families purchased the yearbook even though their children have not yet graduated, because they fully expected the rifle team’s accomplishments would be in it.

He said parents trying to find out what happened first contacted Dennis Ramella, the high school athletic director, “who claims no involvement. Mr. Herb says he fulfilled his requirement and Mr. Moxey, to date, has not come back with a satisfactory answer.”

He asked the school board for the name of the person who oversees Moxey’s position as yearbook advisor.

Donatelli suggested that everyone who gets a yearbook should receive a supplemental page showcasing the accomplishment of the rifle team.

“This issue, if not addressed, will only fester,” he warned the school board.

“I’m not going to let it lie,” said Donatelli after the meeting.

“Me either,” said parent Lorraine Husack, whose son Jonathan, an EHS junior, is on the rifle team.

Husack said she was shocked that the team’s photo was not in the yearbook.
Rochelle Bachman said her daughter Siera also is a junior on the rifle team.

Bachman said Moxey told her he never received the photo of the rifle team to include in the yearbook. She then contacted Herb, who assured her the picture had been sent. ....

##############

I do not think this is going to turn out well for the school or the school board. But then I could be wrong - it might turn out to be an unmitigated disaster instead of merely not well.

stay safe.

OC for ME

Based only on the title of the thread I was gunna ask ya..."Whatcha do withem skid?" Then I actually read the op and think that the real screw-up was not giving the parents of the rifle team members a glue stick to more easily affix the supplemental page into the yearbook.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Based only on the title of the thread I was gunna ask ya..."Whatcha do withem skid?" Then I actually read the op and think that the real screw-up was not giving the parents of the rifle team members a glue stick to more easily affix the supplemental page into the yearbook.
There is a zero tolerence on glue sticks - snif, snif :rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is this a new rule for OCDO or are you referring to the school? ;)
That is a tough question which will require considerable research.....first, what do you mean by "Is"?

I do note that you think the parents should share a single glue stick - strange restriction :lol:

OC for ME

That is a tough question which will require considerable research.....first, what do you mean by "Is"?

I do note that you think the parents should share a single glue stick - strange restriction :lol:
Firstly, define the "is" that you is referring to, then I will define the "is" that I is referring to.

Secondly, sharing is good, and it is also a cost reduction measure. Education budgets is razor thin these days. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Firstly, define the "is" that you is referring to, then I will define the "is" that I is referring to.

Secondly, sharing is good, and it is also a cost reduction measure. Education budgets is razor thin these days. ;)

Then I would be accused of not is being moderate enough and threatened with being reported - is so.

Co-ed rifle teams? Obviously I missed something.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dear Grapeshot -

Gluesticks should not be sniffed - they will close up your noseholes and cause you to talk funnier than you already do.

Your attempt at humor was just that - an attempt. Something you did that did not quite measure up to the mark, or missed the target, or however you want to express that you failed.

Finding the missing photo will not solve the problem, nor will mailing an errata sheet with the picture to every student and other recipient of a yearbook. That might have worked if the person in charge had just gone with "Oops, my bad. I'll try to fix it." But since there was not even a write-up, there is an indication that someone made a decision not to publish anything.

I have no idea if any of the members of the team were even thinking of applying, but the lack of yearbook coverage might be the difference in getting a scholarship or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_rifle_programs

OC for ME - thank you for not lettinmg Grapeshot get away with that pun.

stay safe.

bbMurphy

Co-ed rifle team.

... Co-ed rifle teams? Obviously I missed something.

Why not? My high school rifle team was co-ed even back in the early 70's.

Back on topic. If it is found out that the picture and accomplishments where submitted on time then I think that the yearbook advisor should immediately loose that position and be demoted to sanitational engineer.

OC for ME

On a more serious note; not sure there is any recourse at this juncture. I guess it is a effort to mitigate a future occurrence at this point. A photo to keep with the yearbook is better than nothing.

I would request the photographer have the team name/skrool name embossed/printed on the image with the year and accomplishment. Then the name of the team members on the reverse, suitably framed of course.

2OLD2W8

Budget constraints???? Sarcasm ON!!

/S I'm positive,after a year long investigation has been completed......The school board will undoubtedly find that a shortfall in school funding ultimately led to this unfortunate result.......

The position of "assistant yearbook adviser" was not funded this past school year. It is now quite apparent to LCSB,that the loss of this position adversely affected the over worked and extremely underpaid Yearbook Adviser. Hopefully we can prevent this from happening in the future by adequately funding the schools in the future. /S