• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proud to See OC knows no age limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbientCorpse

Banned
The other day I was at a local grocery store doing some light shopping. As I was coming out of the aisle I almost collided with an elderly gentleman who was looking the opposite direction I was coming from. Obviously, he and I came to a sudden stop just short of hitting each other. As I began to apologize for almost mowing him over, I noticed he was OCing, and it was obvious that he noticed I was as well (I could tell by the slight twinge of a smile when he looked up from my holstered firearm). A short and I might add pleasant conversation ensued, regarding OC and how it would be something if more people would start doing it. His firm belief, as is mine, was that if more firearm owners would open carry, a couple of things could happen, 1st being exposing people to the fact that there are a lot of good people out there who carry firearms, and the second being that by seeing someone responsibly carrying might actually provoke some good conversation with others who might be fearful of the gun because they know nothing about them.

We agreed that a lot if people might tend to become more gun friendly if they had an opportunity to speak with a firearm owner who was willing to talk about it. Educating the masses, in my opinion would probably help turn many of those who are unsure about guns to our side.

As the conversation was coming to an end, I asked the gentleman if he had served in the armed forces, to which he responded that he did two tours of duty in the army. I thanked him for his service and for taking time to stop and chat with me at which point we parted ways.

That sure made my day a little brighter.

Just wanted to share that little encounter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

AmbientCorpse

Banned
Not sure what that statute has to do with this post since I'm not from Wisc, none the less who is the mod to contact and I will request the posts removal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Presume the OP information pertains to Washington state - will move this thread there.

solus

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your OC'g adventures in the Evergreen state.

ipse

AmbientCorpse

Banned
Question: This post was originally posted in tge general discussion section. It had no specific detail to where the event took place so why did it not qualify for general discussion? Last time I looked, general was just that, general, encompassing a wide variety of things.

Just asking.

Last edited:

solus

whittle it down to a finer granulation from 'general' to particularly Washington state general interest...

ipse

AmbientCorpse

Banned
Sorry, not quite following. I tried to find the forums concept of general but found nothing specific. This post was based solely on an encounter that could possibly have happened anywhere OC was allowed. Figured general didn't really apply and that others from all over might have enjoyed something on the positive side things.

AmbientCorpse

Banned
I probably titled that wrong, I was simply implying it was pretty awesome to see an elderly gentleman proudly Open carrying and felt confident in his right to bear arms.

AmbientCorpse

Banned
Also, although I'm not versed in the firearm laws of every state, I'm pretty sure Wisconsin is not alone in when it comes to age limit.

AmbientCorpse

Banned
I disagree. As when speaking face to face, most people are capable of understanding context and subjective speach so the title was not written in error. It was written with the assumption that readers would understand the context of the post as related to the title. My mistake for assuming people would understand the intent of the post. If carriers are familiar with their state laws and can read that I was speaking specifically about an elderly gentleman then I'm sure the post would be taken as it was intended. But for the sake of not speaking subjectively or contextually, I will dumb down all future posts so the title will clearly reflect the subject matter and my intentions.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So your statement that " ... OC knows no age limit" was in error.

You saying me giving that toddler a S&W 500 was a bad thing?

Rights do not have age limits or requirements....so I'll have to agree with the OP's thread title.

Parents ... we all had them at some point in time.

stealthyeliminator

So your statement that " ... OC knows no age limit" was in error.

It was plenty clear from the post and context what was meant. Obviously it was meant there there is no upper age limit. While the title alone might not be enough to understand, it doesn't need to be. That's why there are Original Posts in threads, and threads are not started with titles alone.

I agree this belongs in General Discussion, it is not state-specific in the least.

It is amazing that a thread like this can be started about a pleasant story and occurrence, and the majority of the posts are ridiculous attempts to correct nuances in speech, cites to irrelevant laws, and suggestions for moving the thread around the forum like a hot potato. IMO, Grapeshot should move it back to General, and any more off-topic posts questioning the phrasing of the title, or thread placement, etc, should be deleted.

OP, thanks for sharing your story. I really enjoyed reading it. Thankfully I saw it in the side bar, otherwise I would have probably never found it, since I rarely venture into state specific forums outside of the one for Texas.

AmbientCorpse

Banned
Thanks for the support guys. Not trying to stir the pot just trying to understand other people's ....... perspectives? I love forums about gun topics and totaly enjoy getting into topical discussions. There is a lot to learn from the wide knowledge base and experiences on these kind of sites. But in the end, I'm the kind of guy who would leave a forum rather than banter back and forth with someone who just doesn't get it, or doesn't want to get it. It just isn't worth the hassle.

qednick

Welcome to OCDO AmbientCorpse and thanks for posting your experience! Please share more as and when they occur. :)

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...His firm belief, as is mine, was that if more firearm owners would open carry, a couple of things could happen, 1st being exposing people to the fact that there are a lot of good people out there who carry firearms, and the second being that by seeing someone responsibly carrying might actually provoke some good conversation with others who might be fearful of the gun because they know nothing about them.

We agreed that a lot if people might tend to become more gun friendly if they had an opportunity to speak with a firearm owner who was willing to talk about it. Educating the masses, in my opinion would probably help turn many of those who are unsure about guns to our side.

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from (usually :uhoh:) sunny, dry Arizona AmbientCorpse! Thank you for the post, I quite enjoy reading non-eventful OC encounters, but your encounter was one of the rarer "great encounters". :) Hope you stick around and continue to post.

AmbientCorpse

Banned
I appreciate your posts, welcomes and positive outlooks. I plan on sticking around and enjoying good quality discussions. Thanks again. It's good to see others out there who appreciate upbeat postings beyond the typical banter most subjects induce (although some of those can be quite entertaining as well).

solus

so OP, care to take a moment to share the locale and establishment so others might visit and reward the establishment with our financial contributions towards their services/goods?

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Question: This post was originally posted in tge general discussion section. It had no specific detail to where the event took place so why did it not qualify for general discussion? Last time I looked, general was just that, general, encompassing a wide variety of things.

Just asking.

You used the first person, singular personal pronoun "I" throughout the OP. Conclude that you are the "I" in that report.

General Discussion
Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else. Topics should still be related to the focus of the forum and all other rules of behavior still apply here.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forum.php

So I will ask the question - In which state did this event take place? Accordingly, I will move the thread there.

Never mind - I cracked the egg. Repeat double registrant appears to be trollng us......again.

cmillo728 = cmmiller0728 = AmbientCorpse

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.