• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The day I decided to get armed. A very near miss story.

Goingdef

I have had only one instance where I felt I needed to draw my weapon.......I was down at the va beach ocean front leaving the 1st street park with my two kids and my wife, well to anyone who knows the area it's a 25mph road as I was driving along there's a car in front of me and two "bikers" behind me who felt the need to fly up on my bumper and fall back all while revving well at one point they fly around me only to be stuck behind the car in front of me who has now stopped for the light:lol: well I stop a good 40' behind them not trying to start anything as my young kids are in the back and all windows are down, so one of them after a second turns around and starts yelling at me then proceeds to get off the bike! So as he does I tell him out the window nicely you might want to stay on your bike! well that just seemed to piss him off more so now he's walking up all the while calling my wife and myself some pretty foul words and verbally communicating threats of bodily harm! well by this time I have warned him several times to "re-think" his actions and I have already drawn my weapon as he got within striking distance to me and MY CHILD I had my weapon on him BUT the idiot was so worried about protecting his face/identity he had failed to lift the visor on his full face helmet so as he began to rattle off another threat I looked down at my gun and back up at him real fast he looked down and realized the position he had put himself in(looked like this):eek: but through a helmet!

well long story short he backed up with his hands in the air walked back to his bike facing me the entire time as I got to my phone and call 911, well after talking to the officer he told me I had done the right thing! and that the police support law abiding citizens of carrying and protecting themselves and there family! he never asked to see my weapon and did not hassle me what so ever! simply took my statement and I was on my way home!

CaptainHoneySmacks

As I new to owning a firearm, I have thankfully not had to draw mine. However, there are cases in the past where I wish I had owned one. My most recent example that I can think of: Remember when the rapture was suppose to happen? Well, here in Gastonia we had those road preachers everywhere. At the time, I had a crappy car with no AC. One muggy night, I was driving home from a trip to the movie store. I have my music going, windows down(remember, no AC), and I am coming up to a red light getting ready to turn. Obviously, the people in front of me had their windows up because the road preacher who was screaming at their cars didn't approach any. Then he spotted me. I had tuned him out and was jamming to my musics - enjoying my night off from work. Then, I am rudely introducted to the face of a person screaming that I am going to Hell and I had better repent to my sinful ways. Now, I do have a bit of a temper ( I am Irish after all) so I kindly, using unkindly words, told the preacher to get his head out of my window. He then grabbed my arm and started calling me a devil worshipper hethen seed of blah blah blah. Finally the damn light turned green, cars in front of my moved on and I just drove forward. He let go, I called the cops. I played Rugby with a cop and I talked to him about it. He said it wasn't uncommon when panics happen (Y2K, Rapture, 2012, etc) for the crazies to come out. He told me next time I should suck it up and rolls my windows up or have better situation awareness. He is right. Always be aware of whats around you. He could have been someone there to hit me upside the head and take my car and because of my music and tunnel vision - I would of never known he was coming until it was too late. Glad to know though after my incident the guy was removed(I assume arrested) from the sidewalk area where he was. He had also been slapping peoples cars with his Bible. o.o People can be really crazy when it comes to these end of the world things.

pyite

Self Repost:
Driving home late one night, bartender....its raining. I lived in downtown Hampton, Va at the time and take a shortcut through the ghetto (Shell road > Quash). The road takes a 90 degree turn and I see a big hooptie (caprice, town car, etc...) in the middle of the road. I immediately think "break down" but grab my pistol anyway (it was in the cup holders, yeah yeah it was a long time ago). An urban gentleman gets out of the passenger side of the vehicle and approaches my window. I had it open about 3 inches bc I had been smoking a cig. He pulls out a knife (no clue what kind - shiny - metal) and says "Get out the car." I point my pistol at his chest and say "No." I could think of nothing witty at the moment. He bolted, tripped over something, got in the car, the driver backed up and hit a chain link fence and took off. I sat there and was all , WTF, WTF. Then I sped home. Didnt report it to the police, didnt get the license plate number, there are many hoopties around hampton and I couldnt even tell what color it was. Oh well. Hopefully homey shat himself.

M

McX

these are from some time ago;

at work, door opens and 4 of the local princes come in, i'm in the bay, by my desk, they spread out before me. i go up to the apparent leader, and ask can i help you? he looks at me, looks at my gun, motions to his buddies, and out the door they go.

still at work, local gang leader stops in to see what influence he can exert on me. standing there talking to him, it was cold, so i had coat on and cc. he had 50 lbs of gold around his neck. must have pinched my shoulder rig, and the one i was carrying at that time releases it's mag. which drops down through my coat, hits my shoe, and clatters on the floor at 'our feet'. i calmly excuse myself, pick up the mag. open my coat, and smack it back in. guy never batts an eye, is polite, leaves, and never comes back.

again at work; a local has me do some work, then calls later to complain. threatens me with him and his buddy 'coming down there'. i say ok. they pull in, kid gets out of driver's side, sees gun as is just and is charming as could be, passenger never sets foot out of the car. they leave.

local gang member walking down street in front of me one day. Lady customer standing out by her car, blabbing on her phone, she doesnt see him, but he sure as hell sees her. gets the fresh meat look in his eyes, and stands there watching her. i see this and step out the door. he sees my gun, and stays put. Lady gets in her car, and leaves, and the local hood continues down the street.

nothing lately to report, i guess my name and reputation now preceeds me.

Last edited:

aa1911

remember one when I was about 12 years old with my folks on a month long vacation in CO, WY and MT; we stopped early morning in a deserted trailhead area in the national forest somewhere in CO to make breakfast before the day's drive. Couple guys in there mid to late twenties looking like less than desirable characters pull in next to us and get out, acting all shifty and eyeballing the three of us. My father is a retired LEO and while these guys were deciding how they were going to rob us or whatever, he calmly retrieves his snubby out of the truck cab and shoves it in his pants.

Suddenly the two wierdos decided it was time to leave... what a coincidence!

Houston Bear

First time poster here. My particular story is somewhat lamer than most of yours. Two guys in a pickup truck pull beside me in a parking lot in broad daylight. They then signal me to roll down my window; I wasn't extremely suspicious at this point, so I did. They then told me they had a $9000 LED TV they were willing to sell me for cheap. They wanted me to pull over and talk about it. When I said that I wasn't interested, they became irritated and almost insistent, asking me to pull over and "make them an offer". Now, I'm only 20, so I obviously can't carry a handgun, but I do have a decent knife with me. Anyways, after about the third time I told them 'no', the guys started looking around suspiciously. One of the guys yells OK, and they drive off. Here is what I concluded afterwards: 1. No TV that can fit in a truck bed costs $9000 2. Something about it just didn't feel right: I'm almost certain they were targeting me, thinking I was some kind of ignoramus. My guess is the tv was broken or stolen, and they were trying to pawn it off on me. Maybe they had something more sinister in mind?

bwiltgen2

New member and first time poster.
Back in Oct. 2011 my fiance and I were headed to my dad's house one night. Traveling through a part of down nick-named "The war zone". (Central and Wyoming for those who live in Albuquerque) Was around 2130. Came to stop light next to bus stop. Four druggies immediately come up to my car. Two of them stand in front and two on the passenger side where my fiance was sitting. They start hitting the window trying to break it. At the time I was unarmed. I called the police right away but I would've hated myself if they got into my car. Light turns green and I start inching my car forward letting the two druggies, in front of my car, know I had no intention on staying there. The next day I went out and purchased myself a P95 that I carry in my car or openly on my hip. Working on scheduling a CC class.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO!

.... I start inching my car forward letting the two druggies, in front of my car, know I had no intention on staying there. The next day I went out and purchased myself a P95 that I carry in my car or openly on my hip. ....

So you start out with 280,000,000 grains* at - what? - 42.33 fps** and are now dropping down to 124 grains at 1120 fps? Sure shows the compromises one makes for convenience, doesn't it?:D

stay safe.

* about 2,500 lbs.

** about 0.5 mph

Riana

Self Repost:
Driving home late one night, bartender....its raining. I lived in downtown Hampton, Va at the time and take a shortcut through the ghetto (Shell road > Quash). The road takes a 90 degree turn and I see a big hooptie (caprice, town car, etc...) in the middle of the road. I immediately think "break down" but grab my pistol anyway (it was in the cup holders, yeah yeah it was a long time ago). An urban gentleman gets out of the passenger side of the vehicle and approaches my window. I had it open about 3 inches bc I had been smoking a cig. He pulls out a knife (no clue what kind - shiny - metal) and says "Get out the car." I point my pistol at his chest and say "No." I could think of nothing witty at the moment. He bolted, tripped over something, got in the car, the driver backed up and hit a chain link fence and took off. I sat there and was all , WTF, WTF. Then I sped home. Didnt report it to the police, didnt get the license plate number, there are many hoopties around hampton and I couldnt even tell what color it was. Oh well. Hopefully homey shat himself.

I don't know - I think that was quite appropriate. I'm glad it had the reaction it did, too.

Jeffersoniantoo

Hmmm...

This was back in the early 80s. I was in the US navy and assigned in San Diego. I had taken a few days off to go watch the second landing of Columbia at Edwards Air Force Base. I had hitch-hiked up to Lancaster and had a motel room for the night. The next day I hiked and hitched out to the base entrance, I got a ride from a guy in small foriegn vehicle and told him that I had military ID an could get us to a closer public viewing area. The regular public area was about three miles from the strip. But the military and news media viewing area was only one mile from the strip. I got us in on my military ID and we watched a great landing. When we were getting ready to leave, I mentioned that I was going to catch a train to San Luis Obispo to meet a friend. He said that he could take me to Glendale and that I could catch the train there.

While in route we had some small talk, but then he started putting his hand on my leg. I moved it off several times, trying to be polite (I was tryiing to hitch to Glendale) and then told him that I was not interested and that I was hetero. He seemed to accept that and he took me to the train station. I went in and bought my ticket and noticed him hanging around in the back of the terminal. I was hungry and hadn't eaten much that day. I had about an hour before my train was there, so I asked if there were any fast-food joints around and someone told me there was a McDonalds a few blocks away. So I set off for a gnash, and this guy starts following me. I am carrying my camping backpack, which had a hatchet loaded last, at the top. After a few blocks this guy is closing and I really don't know what his intentions are. When he gets within about 20 feet he starts to talk to me. I turn around and tell him again that I am not interested. He continues to advance. I take the pack off of my back and pull out the hatchet, my only weapon. I explain that now he has crossed a line and that his only chance for survival is to walk away. (it was actually a little more crude than that, but memory fails me as to the exact wording). He makes a quick apology and does an about-face and heads back to the train terminal, where he left his car.

So far, that is the closest I have been to having to defend myself.

David

Jack House

First time poster here. My particular story is somewhat lamer than most of yours. Two guys in a pickup truck pull beside me in a parking lot in broad daylight. They then signal me to roll down my window; I wasn't extremely suspicious at this point, so I did. They then told me they had a $9000 LED TV they were willing to sell me for cheap. They wanted me to pull over and talk about it. When I said that I wasn't interested, they became irritated and almost insistent, asking me to pull over and "make them an offer". Now, I'm only 20, so I obviously can't carry a handgun, but I do have a decent knife with me. Anyways, after about the third time I told them 'no', the guys started looking around suspiciously. One of the guys yells OK, and they drive off. Here is what I concluded afterwards: 1. No TV that can fit in a truck bed costs $9000 2. Something about it just didn't feel right: I'm almost certain they were targeting me, thinking I was some kind of ignoramus. My guess is the tv was broken or stolen, and they were trying to pawn it off on me. Maybe they had something more sinister in mind?
You can carry a rifle, head over to the Texas subforum for more information if you're interested!

MKEgal

pyite said:
...it's raining ... An urban gentleman gets out of the passenger side of the vehicle and approaches my window. I had it open about 3 inches ... He pulls out a knife ... and says "Get out the car."
I wonder how many people that would work on?
I'm in a steel cage, door is locked, window is mostly up, he'll have a hard time getting to me before I can drive away, yet he thinks I'm going to abandon my safe place to get closer to a strange guy holding a knife on me?
He's an idiot, & anyone who would do what he says is a worse idiot.

I know someone who did basically the same thing, only leaving her house.
Two gals came to confront her about her putting her hands around their son/nephew's neck a bit earlier.
Tell her to step out on the porch, & like the idiot she is, she did.
They beat her up.
Then she called the cops.
I figure, if you're going along with the proposed plan when you could easily stay safe, you want to participate in the fight.

I point my pistol at his chest and say "No."
That works for me.
Despite what Hollywood would have us believe, there's no need to be witty (or coarse).
Clear concise communication gets the job done.

dudeman1

Thats why I never go walking in the neighborhood, or on a trail anywhere without my CC gun. NEVER! There is to many crazy people out there, and I have run across some.

dudeman1

As far as giving people the finger and cursing at them, I also have to watch myself, becasue I conceal carry all the time. It has become a lifestyle for me over the almost 5 years I have been CCW. Its hard for me to restrain sometimes, because people do get on my last nerve, when Im driving, cutting me off, on my bumper, etc. I cant stand it, but being a responsible CCW person, I must restrain from flipping people off, cursing at them, even though I really REALLY want to, I have to stop myself. If I do have to pull the trigger sometime(God forbid) I dont want any fuel to the fire so to speak. And flipping someone off is considered a confronting, confontational gesture, especially to a prosecuting attorney. They would have field day. Dont want that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thats why I never go walking in the neighborhood, or on a trail anywhere without my CC gun. NEVER! There is to many crazy people out there, and I have run across some.
Dudeman1 welcome to the forum.

Have to wonder why you start off with 4 posts to threads that are over 2 years old - that is severe necro posting and will not earn bonus points. Please stay more current.

Also stessing that you CC only is intended to convey what message? I'd rather prevent negative encounters w/BG than "surprise him.

PALO

As far as giving people the finger and cursing at them, I also have to watch myself, becasue I conceal carry all the time. It has become a lifestyle for me over the almost 5 years I have been CCW. Its hard for me to restrain sometimes, because people do get on my last nerve, when Im driving, cutting me off, on my bumper, etc. I cant stand it, but being a responsible CCW person, I must restrain from flipping people off, cursing at them, even though I really REALLY want to, I have to stop myself. If I do have to pull the trigger sometime(God forbid) I dont want any fuel to the fire so to speak. And flipping someone off is considered a confronting, confontational gesture, especially to a prosecuting attorney. They would have field day. Dont want that.

Imo, one has a moral duty to treat others with kindness and respect. Although some people certainly test my adherence to that principle. And granted given sufficent buttmunchery on the other's part, you can't fault too heavily the average job who gives in and devolves to their level of flipping somebody off or whatnot.

However, I strongly agree that WHEN CARRYING one has a much stronger duty to not only refrain from being a jerk towards others, but a duty to avoid confrontation if at all possible. If you can walk away, even if in the legal right not to, just wallking away from somebody who is trying to instigate is clearly the only policy when CCing or OCing.

Ime, most OCers/CCWers to a very large extent ARE exercising restraint when carrying. They are an incredibly responsible and low crime demographic I might add

dudeman1

Dudeman1 welcome to the forum.

Have to wonder why you start off with 4 posts to threads that are over 2 years old - that is severe necro posting and will not earn bonus points. Please stay more current.

Also stessing that you CC only is intended to convey what message? I'd rather prevent negative encounters w/BG than "surprise him.

I posted because did not pay attention to the date, and I will stay current from now on. CC=Conceal Carry. Anytime you can walk, drive away from a threat, its a very good thing,and I have many times. Concealed carry is just that, concealed, people cant see it. Open carry is just that, open. It can be seen. This can do one of three things, deter the situation, get your gun taken from you and used against you, or just get you shot when the criminal sees your gun on you if you walk in on a robbery or something to that nature. Concealed carry is said to be concealed, as it is named, and you surprize the criminal when you have to draw your weapon and stop the threat. :

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I posted because did not pay attention to the date, and I will stay current from now on. CC=Conceal Carry. Anytime you can walk, drive away from a threat, its a very good thing,and I have many times. Concealed carry is just that, concealed, people cant see it. Open carry is just that, open. It can be seen. This can do one of three things, deter the situation, get your gun taken from you and used against you, or just get you shot when the criminal sees your gun on you if you walk in on a robbery or something to that nature. Concealed carry is said to be concealed, as it is named, and you surprize the criminal when you have to draw your weapon and stop the threat. :banana:

I really don't care how a responsible person carries as it is a matter of personal choice. Still repeating urban myths will gain you no traction here.

These "could happen" scenarios have been thoroughly debunked countless times.

Show me/us one verifiable cite where an OCer was subject to a gun snatch, preemptively taken out or had his gun stolen as a primary factor anywhere in these United States in modern times - military, security & LEO excepted. Many have searched - none passed the test......none.

Will it likely happen sometime, someplace....sure, but when it does the resultant ratio will resemble something like .00001% I like those odds.

Then consider that a CCer looks just like a typical victim, zero deterrent value. I'd sincerely prefer to not have to "surprise" anyone and if the SHTF who amongst us is not faster at drawing from OC as opposed to CC?

Bottom line - don't spend much of your credibility trying to convince us that CC is better. It is an option, but it is not superior. That and personally I would never celebrate (dancing banana) at being put in the position of using lethal force.

DocWalker

Open carry is just that, open. It can be seen. This can do one of three things, deter the situation, get your gun taken from you and used against you, or just get you shot when the criminal sees your gun on you if you walk in on a robbery or something to that nature. Concealed carry is said to be concealed, as it is named, and you surprize the criminal when you have to draw your weapon and stop the threat. :banana:

I think you are on the wrong web site. This is OPENCARRY.ORG it is about open carry if you haven't guessed. I have my CCW cards from Idaho, Arizona, and Utah but I usally open carry. It is my choice and it usally gets a great response if they even notice.

If you could please site a case or two of a open carrier (other than a cop) that has had his gun taken from him and shot with it? Good Luck

As it was said why have to suprise the criminal when you can just deter him from starting crap in the first place. I know I have detered a crime as I was in our local liquor store a guy came and as he headed for the counter he seen me and my pistol. He stopped and quickly ran out of the store. 15 minutes later the guy robbed a gas station down the street. My OC prevented the liquor store from being robbed, he went and found an easier target.