• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to visit in your state

KS_to_CA

I will be driving from Kalifornia to Seattle to visit family members. Recommendations regarding openly carrying? Open carrying in the vehicle? Thanks.

hermannr

You may open carry unloaded in the vehicle, or loaded with a CPL. RCW 9.41 Is the WA code on firearms and dangerous weapons. Easy read. Not cluttered at all.

You may open carry loaded everywhere as long as you are not in a vehicle, except those places listed in 9.41 Local goverments cannot go beyond state law. (you know, court rooms, jails, that kind of stuff. You can carry in parks etc.)

There is only one funny restriction...rock concerts, the rest make pretty good sense for these days.

1245A Defender

well,,,

cant carry in a bar posted as no one under 21, but you can carry and drink with your dinner in a restaurant!

when you get here, go to any county sheriff with 60 bucks and apply for
a washington state concealed pistol license,,, ID and finger prints is all required.
if you apply in silverdale in kitsap county, you will probably have it in your hand
when you walk out, otherwise it will be sent to you in up to 60 days.
be one of the only ones in california with a CPL, and it enjoys reciprocity
with 18 states!

be sure to tell us your plans before hand so someone can have a get together
with you while youre here.

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

......There is only one funny restriction...rock concerts.........

The law is does not restrict carry at "rock concerts". It is much more narrow then that.
It says "Outdoor music festivals"

RCW 70.108.150
It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival......

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=70.108.150

RCW 70.108.020
"Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.
(Caps in source)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=70.108.020

Lammo

I will be driving from Kalifornia to Seattle to visit family members. Recommendations regarding openly carrying? Open carrying in the vehicle? Thanks.

In addition to the other replies, please note that "unloaded" in WA means totally empty - - for revolvers, no ammunition in any chamber in the cylinder; for semi-autos, no ammunition in the chamber AND no ammunition in the magazine if the magazine is inserted in the gun. See RCW 9.41.010(10). Contrast Utah, where a semi-auto is considered "unloaded" even with a loaded magazine inserted so long as the chamber is empty. See Utah Code 76-10-502. Also, carry of loaded rifles in vehicles is prohibited in the Fish and Wildlife laws, RCW 77.15.460. Finally, don't listen if anyone in here tells you to duct tape your pistol to your forehead. Sorry, semi-private joke. :)

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Date?

When you getting up here? Maybe some of us can get together for coffee and or shooting. I just retired from the Army so I have some time to kill before I start working again.