• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chalk one up for the good guys in Madison

Motofixxer

After reading the report...which is always biased. And contemplating the assumptions of the facts, I too believe it was handled fairly appropriately. By the citizen and the responding officers.

hermannr

The report was interesting the BG says the woman pulled a knife..police report had no mention of a knife??? I think BG is (righly) hosed. Under the circumstances, Yes, I think the police acted properly.

I would not have appreciated being handcuffed myself, but at the point of first encounter, the responding officers had no reasonable way to know what had happened/was happening.

This does illustrate one thing though. If you call 911, try to give as much information as possible, so the first responders have a clue what is going on.

smithman

If you call 911, try to give as much information as possible, so the first responders have a clue what is going on.

Be careful...the 911 call may be used to determine if charges will be filed against you. My advice is to only give information on the immediate situation (you are having a defensive gun use, are holding the perpetrator at gunpoint, and that the responding officers MUST know that you, the good guy, are armed). If the operator tries to get you to talk about what led up to the situation, DONT say anything. If the 911 call doesn't match a statement you make after the event you could be in big trouble. And don't make a statement the same day as the gun use you are liable to mess up some detail that may come back to haunt you later on.

M

McX

i wonder if they (illegally) detained him, forced him to produce i.d. and then ran him to make sure he wasnt a felon, i have heard this has been done before.

AaronS

*waits for a response from the antis*

The man did well to intervene.

Yea, I would love to see what WAVE thinks about this one...

The best part of this story is that no shots were fired. Without so much as one round fired, a gun (in the hands of a good guy) stopped a crime in it's tracks. Again, I would love to see what WAVE thinks about that.

hermannr

Remember, the GG did NOT make the 911 call. The dispatch was told that one man was holding another man at gun point. When the poilice arrived, none of the First responders had any clue who was in the right, and who was a BG.

Do I think they NEEDED to handcuff the GG? Not really. It should not have taken that long to figure who was in the right. You have heard it before...they secured the situation first, for their own safety (ever heard that before?) then started asking questions.

MKEgal

I was surprised by the positive tone the police report took toward the LAC.
And I had to laugh at this:
"The citizen was cooperative, the suspect not so much."

So to a 'what's the right move' discussion...
It says he put the pistol in his pocket (dunno if it was before the police entered the building, or after they saw him pointing it at the other guy).
WWYD?
Holster? Lay it on the ground & step away? Pocket? Unload & put it on the ground...?

I think setting it on the ground & moving away would reassure the cops.

Not sure about the manipulation of unloading, but they're going to want to do it anyway, & if it's a gun they're not familiar with better me than them.
(On second thought, this has too much potential for me getting shot.)

Holster or pocket both leave it too close to you for their comfort.

Last edited:

TyGuy

As the hero wasn't the one to call 911, and the 911 caller said one man was holding another at gun point I am ok with the police disarming and securing the hero. I know I know, I'm a big government liberal commie, but the police didn't know the situation.