• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not Showing ID=resisting. Lansing, MI

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Lansing-Man-Charged-for-Not-Showing-ID-to-Police-201558711.html

"I just wanted some quiet time, and came out to sit in my car."
He says he was sitting in his car in his driveway when a police officer walked up and demanded to see his I.D.
"I pretty much ignored him and asked him if it was a slow crime day," Riddle said.
Riddle refused to show his I.D. The officer eventually left, but that's not the end of story. 10 days later, Riddle received a warrant for his arrest. He's been charged with a misdemeanor of resisting an officer. From there, he pled not guilty, went to the pre-trial hearing this week and now he's waiting for a jury trial.

Fallschirjmäger

Assuming the warrant is for 750.479 Resisting or obstructing officer in discharge of duty; penalty; definitions.
(1) A person shall not knowingly and willfully do any of the following:
(b) Assault, batter, wound, obstruct, or endanger an officer enforcing an ordinance, law, rule, order, or resolution of the common council of a city board of trustees, the common council or village council of an incorporated village, or a township board of a township.

I would not that all of the above require a conscious, deliberate effort on behalf of the offender. I'd also note 'performance of duty', should it be that there is no reasonable articulable suspicion of a specific crime then the stop was unconstitutional and therefore not in the 'performance of duty' for the officer.

carolina guy

So...in MI a police officer can enter private property, approach a person doing nothing and demand ID? Why? If he suspected criminal activity and did nothing, the LEO needs to get a different career.

I have done it before myself...we have 4 kids and sometimes the car is just quiet, especially if I have a business call to make.

Baked on Grease

wow, i can't believe the city attorney let this leave his desk

The only way I could see it happening, assuming the attorney isn't in on the scheme, is if the officer flat out lied about what happened. This does beg the question of why it took ten days to issue a warrant if the suspect in question really did use violence or threaten violence against the officer (while the officer was committing his lawful duties) as outlined by the law he's been arrested for.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

FreeInAZ

The KGB eerrr... LPD need to get a life. It sounds like to me this guys has "somehow" possibly unknown even to him - offended the senses of someone with juice in the LPD or city Gov. So he's getting a spanking via the abuse of the "legal" system. Serf's who defy the king's men - must be taught their place. :rolleyes: This guy better pray he does not end up in front of judge rosie...:eek:

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

City attn. are contracted law firms that work at the beck & call of police. If they don't they lose their contracts. When it comes down to $ vs. law - $$$ almost always wins. :(

mastiff69

If I was sitting in my driveway & an officer came up to mt car in my drive way,
I would ask him what he needed, then inform him that he is on private property ,
& that he was not called nor welcome, & to leave !

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Probably ran his tags...

Wouldn't be surprised.

The wonders of the national ID standards with digital drivers licenses. Just run the plates for a name. Go to the drivers license database, type in the name, pull up the photo. If its the same guy, issue the citation. Of course, this raises the question as to whether there was really an obstruction since the cop was able to identify his victim on other channels.

carolina guy

Wouldn't be surprised.

The wonders of the national ID standards with digital drivers licenses. Just run the plates for a name. Go to the drivers license database, type in the name, pull up the photo. If its the same guy, issue the citation. Of course, this raises the question as to whether there was really an obstruction since the cop was able to identify his victim on other channels.

Sounds like Riddle might have a good chance at some $$$ if the story is true and accurate!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
That's why I filed my notice of trespass(es) with LEOs in my jurisidiction ... chk your state law to see about this ...

Yeah, yeah. We know all about your notice of trespass. And, your previous (three?) different reasons that were all "the reason" you got it.

Why not just say, "Filing a notice of trespass with your local police would cut down on this sort of thing, or at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position"?

If you just wrote that, and stopped telling readers to do dangerous stuff without telling them the dangers, your credibility would skyrocket.

Last edited:

carolina guy

That's why I filed my notice of trespass(es) with LEOs in my jurisidiction ... chk your state law to see about this ...

A fence with a locked gate across the driveway is more effective. Closest to our house someone can get without hopping the fence is about 30 feet.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Is anyone here privy to the conversation between this man and the officer? Although the scant facts presented in this report would indicate that this person's case is particularly strong in regards to a defense of the charges, oftentimes it is what is left out of the story that is most enlightening. I can think of a few ways the charges could be sustained... but until the evidence that the officer and attorney believe sustains such a charge is presented, I am afraid we really don't know what the outcome will be.

papa bear

i have a few questions;

why was the police there in the first place?

did they just see someone sitting in a car and wanted to know why?

did they get a call from the house? a neighbor?

what was the LEO's RAS?

inquisitive minds want to know

TheQ

Is anyone here privy to the conversation between this man and the officer? Although the scant facts presented in this report would indicate that this person's case is particularly strong in regards to a defense of the charges, oftentimes it is what is left out of the story that is most enlightening. I can think of a few ways the charges could be sustained... but until the evidence that the officer and attorney believe sustains such a charge is presented, I am afraid we really don't know what the outcome will be.

Care to name one or two?