• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie Gun owner introduction with a question

Jimmy12

Hello, I just bought my first gun a 1911 G.I. .45 ACP two weeks ago! At age 30 I had never owned or shot a gun before as I had never felt the need to own a gun. My reason I bought a gun is b/c I have wanted one ever since an unsolved home invasion and murder that happened in my neighborhood about 7 years ago It really shock me and others to the core:cry:. Anyway, right now I am just using my gun for range practice and learning my way around my gun. I'm yet to open carry but I have bought a holster and my extra magazine is in the mail..:rolleyes: I plan to buy an smaller open carry gun in the future. My question is if I am wearing shorts would a leg holster be consisted open carry?

Thanks Jimmy...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Welcome aboard and to the fascinating world of firearms. You are going to learn a lot here as there are a bunch of knowledgeable people willing to help you along with your questions and concerns. And the Tidewater has a good amount of folks on this site.

If the gun is not hidden from common observation, then you are carrying it openly. I use a belt with both shorts or jeans and carry a simple friction retention holster for my carry guns. If that guns is visible and identifiable as a firearm, then it is considered to be openly carried.

If I might be so bold, do yourself a favor and get some quality training. Both in the use and handling of your gun as well as in the laws of our commonwealth. You will be well served if you do this.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't think training should be a requirement to carry; if it is -- that's another ?

But I think that an exposed holster and gun would be "open carry" IMO.

Last edited:

scouser

I don't think training should be a requirement to carry; if it is -- that's another ?

No one is saying training IS required, SB is merely offering the advice that the OP (who stated that he had never owned or shot a gun before) would be helping himself if he were to get some training. For someone with no experience surely it's a good idea to get some help from those who have it. Not everyone was given a firearm safety lesson by their dad, uncle, older brother, etc when they turned 8 years old. I don't support mandatory training in order to carry but I certainly wouldn't state that a 'newbie' should refuse to seek out training, and so long as it is NOT mandatory I would recommend good quality training.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- do yourself a favor and get some quality training. Both in the use and handling of your gun as well as in the laws of our commonwealth. You will be well served if you do this.

No one is saying training IS required, SB is merely offering the advice that the OP (who stated that he had never owned or shot a gun before) would be helping himself if he were to get some training. For someone with no experience surely it's a good idea to get some help from those who have it. Not everyone was given a firearm safety lesson by their dad, uncle, older brother, etc when they turned 8 years old. I don't support mandatory training in order to carry but I certainly wouldn't state that a 'newbie' should refuse to seek out training, and so long as it is NOT mandatory I would recommend good quality training.

Welcome to OCDO Jimmy 12. The best way to get good answers is to ask appropriate questions.

A holstered handgun recognizeable to common observation is openly carried.

No one should be required to have a particular level of training to exercise the right of self-defense; however, some training is good and more training is better. Methods, laws, and tactics - evolve/improve hopefully.

BTW, buying a 2nd gun is great - small one's make great BUGs. A 1911 is a superb primary carry.

va_tazdad

What he said just about covers it.

+1. Welcome and I hope you learn to enjoy carrying as much as we do.

I never fired a gun until I joined the military and I would also recommend getting training from a knowledgeable and reputable company or organization.

The Wolfhound

Welcome

Since the gang forgot to remind you........Be sure to join VCDL. I also recommend training as soon as you find an instructor you trust. The NRA is one place to start. The sooner you train, the fewer bad habits (usually learned from TV and Movies) you will need to unlearn. My usual carry is open, in an inside the pants holster; the pistol grip is clearly visible as a pistol above the belt. This qualifies as open carry. It is not hidden from common observation.

mpguy

Hello, I just bought my first gun a 1911 G.I. .45 ACP two weeks ago! At age 30 I had never owned or shot a gun before as I had never felt the need to own a gun. My reason I bought a gun is b/c I have wanted one ever since an unsolved home invasion and murder that happened in my neighborhood about 7 years ago It really shock me and others to the core:cry:. Anyway, right now I am just using my gun for range practice and learning my way around my gun. I'm yet to open carry but I have bought a holster and my extra magazine is in the mail..:rolleyes: I plan to buy an smaller open carry gun in the future. My question is if I am wearing shorts would a leg holster be consisted open carry?

Thanks Jimmy...

Welcome, what part of Va. are you located? If you can, I highly recommend a friend to carry with you on your first trip out. It's not required, but its nice to have someone with you on your first time out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SouthernBoy

Others already corrected you about what I said regarding training. As for 'But I think that an exposed holster.... would be "open carry"', this is not true. Just because you have a holster on your person does not imply that it is filled with a handgun. Unless that handgun is visible, in part or in whole, you are not carrying a handgun. There is case law on this one, but I don't have the time to find it as present (sorry skidmark). I have enter post offices many times with an empty holster (left gun in car) and that is perfectly legal.

Blk97F150

Hey,
I bought a S&W MP15 Sport for my first AR. Then I can decide what I like and dont and make a custom one.I have zero knowledge of Ar15's . Went to the local library and their selection of informative books is garbage. Anyone advise on a good beginner book to help me decide how to build one out and what the best part selection criteria would be. I am fairly savvy working with all sorts of hand tools.

Welcome. I suspect that building AR15's may be beyond the scope of this forum (although there are many very experienced people here in that regard...). A couple places I might refer you to: OCDO forum sponsor www.VAGunTrader.com has a few AR15 based folders... for sale, trade, general conversation, etc. www.AR15.com is also a very popular forum.

You don't mention where you are located, but you could also attend a few of the gatherings (usually posted at the top of this forum as a 'sticky') and speak to folks there.

I might also suggest signing up for the free email alerts from VCDL http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert . They are a great way to keep up with gun rights in Virginia. If you like the alerts, considering supporting VCDL as a member.

SouthernBoy

An update to my above (#10) post. I wrote;

"Just because you have a holster on your person does not imply that it is filled with a handgun. Unless that handgun is visible, in part or in whole, you are not carrying a handgun."

One would be wise and prudent not to tempt the tail of the dragon with this. Best to use common sense and go with that. Hope I didn't send the wrong message in my previous post.

thedevilrobyjohn

8yrs old? got mine at 4

ClumsyCandy

8, I didn't fire a gun until I was 27, and now out shoot most people I shoot around. I don't shoot around my husbands co workers for that reason. They are almost all ex-military and I, well, I'd rather not emasculate the guys my husband works with :lol: But on topic, please don't carry until you are comfortable with your firearm, and feel you can control where you shoot if the need arises. ProShooter is a good teacher. I've taken his class. The most important thing you can do is ask questions and practice, practice, practice. Being comfortable with your firearm is far more important than how or if you carry.

(On a side note, that dancing banana is dancing in perfect time to the Flo Rida that is currently playing on my iTunes...weird...:banana:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Others already corrected you about what I said regarding training. As for 'But I think that an exposed holster.... would be "open carry"', this is not true. Just because you have a holster on your person does not imply that it is filled with a handgun. Unless that handgun is visible, in part or in whole, you are not carrying a handgun. There is case law on this one, but I don't have the time to find it as present (sorry skidmark). I have enter post offices many times with an empty holster (left gun in car) and that is perfectly legal.

Didn't I just read on here somewhere that firearms are prohibited on PO "property," i.e., parking lots included? Not sure . . . . .

At least in the 4th Circuit guns are now legal in vehicle on USPS public parking lots (warning this is an anti cite)
http://smartgunlaws.org/extreme-dis...s-guns-in-post-office-parking-lot/#more-22670

va_tazdad

Now just hold on there a minute!!!!!

Thanks Jimmy...

I see nothing wrong with the 1911 for open carry. Why, without one, Grapeshot would not be able to hold his ground against the terrible 5 mph winds we have around here. He also gets regular comments about his "purdy gun" from admirers. (Me being one of them)

Stop on by for one of the weekly breakfasts or monthly dinners. The conversations and people are wonderful.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jimmy12 --snip--
I plan to buy an smaller open carry gun in the future. My question is if I am wearing shorts would a leg holster be consisted open carry?
A 1911 is the purr-fect gun to OC :)

If the gun is visible to common observation, it is not concealed = open carried.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
At least in [strike]the 4th Circuit[/strike] Colorado guns are now legal in vehicle on USPS public parking lots (warning this is an anti cite)
http://smartgunlaws.org/extreme-dis...s-guns-in-post-office-parking-lot/#more-22670

FIFY.

Federal District Courts generally cover only a part of a state (occassionally the whole thing like in RI and De).

You have to forgive Grapeshot. There are days when he forgets stuff - like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
FIFY.

Federal District Courts generally cover only a part of a state (occassionally the whole thing like in RI and De).

You have to forgive Grapeshot. There are days when he forgets stuff - like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

stay safe.

Didn't forgets anythings - point was that this decision was made in the 4th Circuit and that the major impact/benefit is restricted primarily to that area (greater Denver) Another Circuit has handed down an opposite decision - the 11th Circuit I think.