• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shari's Long Standing Policy on "no guns"

jt59

I picked up on this discussion from the Idaho thread and since I occasionally frequent Shari's, thought I'd just pick up the phone and give them a call....

This may be old news on our WA thread, but am just giving you what I was told.

"Shari's Does NOT allow weapons in their stores, it is private property and they have a fully implemented policy on this incorporated into their employee handbook prohibiting guns as is their right in all the states they operate in."

I just personally spoke to Shari's Corporate:

SHARI'S CORPORATE OFFICE

9400 SW Gemini Drive

Beaverton, OR 97008

tel: (503) 605-4299

fax: (503) 605-4260

EMPLOYEE RELATIONS

Mike Bennett

Vice President of Human Resources

email: mbennett@sharis.com

He told me that Shari's policy regarding "No Weapons" (employee's or customers) has not changed for the nearly 20 years that he has been there. It is not a written "stand alone" policy, but is incorporated into the Employee Manual.....

bennie1986

I picked up on this discussion from the Idaho thread and since I occasionally frequent Shari's, thought I'd just pick up the phone and give them a call....

This may be old news on our WA thread, but am just giving you what I was told.

"Shari's Does NOT allow weapons in their stores, it is private property and they have a fully implemented policy on this incorporated into their employee handbook prohibiting guns as is their right in all the states they operate in."

I just personally spoke to Shari's Corporate:

SHARI'S CORPORATE OFFICE

9400 SW Gemini Drive

Beaverton, OR 97008

tel: (503) 605-4299

fax: (503) 605-4260

EMPLOYEE RELATIONS

Mike Bennett

Vice President of Human Resources

email: mbennett@sharis.com

He told me that Shari's policy regarding "No Weapons" (employee's or customers) has not changed for the nearly 20 years that he has been there. It is not a written "stand alone" policy, but is incorporated into the Employee Manual.....

Good to know thanks! I will take my business elsewhere when considering that type of restaurant. Too bad to because I liked that place.

SpyderTattoo

I go to two different Shari's in the Kent area, always open carrying. One on 180th, up the hill from Valley Medical, and the other on Kent Kangley and 132nd, kinda' between Kent and Covington. I've never had any issues at either restaurant.

amlevin

A policy that is contained only in an employee handbook by definition does not apply to customers.

Ditto! Just goes to show you how some companies survive IN SPITE of the quality of employees their hire at their corporate offices. As far as Shari's, the one near my house has been closed for as long as I can remember. They can't even lease out the empty building to either a mexican or chinese restaurant.

jt59

Don't know if I agree with this limitation, Bob..... the employee handbook may include information or direction to the employee's around key issues and how to handle them according to company policies, it depends largely on how corporate HR disseminates information and policy to their employee's. This may be their way....

....and accordingly the gentleman that I spoke with made pains to say he had been a criminal investigator (don't know why) prior to his current assignment with Shari's and supported the policy.

Good news is that their handbook (and policy) are not quite firing on all thrusters....bad news is that if you do get asked to leave and it turns into a treaspass complaint, I would expect the corporate policy will likely prevail in their decision to press charges or not (although, if the employee is ignorant of the policy or can't demonstrate he was trained during his incubation, you might make a defense).

He was quite clear in his communication and was also quite aware of our missives on the Opencarry.org site.

Anyway, this is simply just a word to the wise....I'll be taking my grandson to the I-HOP for pancakes...

Anyone with experience there?

A policy that is contained only in an employee handbook by definition does not apply to customers.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Haven't there been OC meets at Sharis before? If it's in the EMPLOYEE handbook, that tells me that such policy only applies to EMPLOYEES. Nothing new there, no employer permits their employees to carry far as I've heard.:banghead:

daddy4count

It only applies to employees until they put up a sign...

Employee manual has nothing to do with patrons. Would they not need a corporate policy extending beyond employees which would include a WRITTEN corporate policy and visible signs at all entrances?

I have never OC'd at a Sharis but I've CC'd at many of them (been many years) and I have never once seen "No Weapons" or "No Firearms" signage.

jt59

Hmmm, that's a good point...Where did I read that in the RCW....posting at reasonable intervals...or was that only for federal bld'gs, courthouses and restricted areas of jails and airports?
I may need to give Mr. HR a follow up note on his deficiency....:lol:

It only applies to employees until they put up a sign...

Employee manual has nothing to do with patrons. Would they not need a corporate policy extending beyond employees which would include a WRITTEN corporate policy and visible signs at all entrances?

I have never OC'd at a Sharis but I've CC'd at many of them (been many years) and I have never once seen "No Weapons" or "No Firearms" signage.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

this is a perfect example of why we never ask for permission!!!

Hmmm, that's a good point...Where did I read that in the RCW....posting at reasonable intervals...or was that only for federal bld'gs, courthouses and restricted areas of jails and airports?
I may need to give Mr. HR a follow up note on his deficiency....:lol:

calling and asking is just the excuse some places use to tell us were not welcome
with our fire arms!!!
now it sounds like you want to school him on how to trespass us, and legally bar us from entering!!
we have had many meets at sharis, they act just like dennys, welcoming us with open arms and menus!!!

NEVER call and ask!

jt59

Err,....You started at the top of the thread, right?

I wasn't asking anybody for permission...I was answering a question from one of the OC'rs in Idaho, who got tossed from one of their company stores when they stopped for a meal, and challenged the local employee to "prove up" on the policy when they were told to leave....which they couldn't do....and kinda put a call out if anyone knew what the deal was.

Regardless, the result was the same in the end, and they were still required to leave, and spoiled up until that point what had been a pretty good day....lot's of confusion ensued...with several posting of "well, I been here (or there) " and never had any problems"...and no real answers, just speculation on what the "real" policy is....and a few other random experiences where they didn't get the boot....Is that because the other joints are friendly to OC"rs or just ill trained employee's....

I simply went straight to the top of the pile to ask the question: Policy? No Policy?...Turns out he wasn't looking for an excuse...they do have a policy.

...I got an answer and then shared it....

This certainly doesn't limit your choices of where to get some moons over my hammy, but if you get asked to leave, you'll know the deal.

We can get mired down in the details, and maybe that's my bad...(Well, if they don't have signs posted, then it doesn't count.... if it's in the handbook then it only apply's to the (ill trained) employee's)?....it may get you a little further in the door, but, if they ask you leave, then that's it....

...and I don't mind educating the HR guy a little more....since I've already engaged him... if he is going to have some restrictive policies, fine, but he should follow the rules to get 'er done........and if that includes the cost of posting signs, spending $$ and losing my business, I'm ok with that too!

My personal interest was as I said. Since I go here once in a while, I don't end up in there with my family or friends and a bunch of confused employee's and everyone freakin out trying to order pancakes 'cause I'm wearing a sidearm.

Since I only get my grandson every other weekend for Sunday morning breakfast.... If I can avoid a hassle, then I'm a pretty happy guy.

They're off my top 10 eatery's, I mean it's barely 1 star dining ....and I'm going to boycott 'em...

....and go to Denny's......so....(fade off into the sunset).

calling and asking is just the excuse some places use to tell us were not welcome
with our fire arms!!!
now it sounds like you want to school him on how to trespass us, and legally bar us from entering!!
we have had many meets at sharis, they act just like dennys, welcoming us with open arms and menus!!!

NEVER call and ask!

Squeak

jt59; C'mon over and I'll go for coffee with you and your grandson. I don't recall that I've met you. I'll buy the coffee if you promise not to tell anyone. I have a reputation, such as it is.:banana:

jt59

Thanks for the invitation Squeak,

I haven't actually met many folks at all yet, so I look forward to it.....I'll PM...

JT

jt59; C'mon over and I'll go for coffee with you and your grandson. I don't recall that I've met you. I'll buy the coffee if you promise not to tell anyone. I have a reputation, such as it is.:banana:

Jeff Hayes

I OC in Shari's Wandermere every so often never had a problem.

Please do not try to educate the HR guy, please dont even call him back just let it drop. You got the Human Resorces guy he hires people, helps set company policy for employees, he may even figure out the employee's benifits package. Most likely he dosn't have any say in what their customers can or can not do. This guy evidently did not understand your question or he would have refered you to someone that actually has some authority to set customer policy.

A no firearms sign has not weight of law in Washington State, they can only trespass you if you refuse to leave.