• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kel Tec Firearms?

Mainsail

As for Critical Thinking skills, I've honed them for years, starting with an Engineering Degree. Made enough with those skills to be able to retire before most of my class as well. Thank you for the offer though.

...and yet you post an opinion based only on something you read on the internet? ;-)

I hope you at least see the irony; your avatar being a Glock which has volumes of misleading and misinterpreted internet stories circulating, and now you’re posting rumors about a gun you’ve never seen (much less fired) with no basis in fact.

EDIT to correct: The blogger references a KelTec carbine, but doesn't appear to have ever held or fired one.

Last edited:

Mainsail

I am a huge fan of the Bullpup design and the only worry I have is the trigger. In a lot it is just a "chain" running from the trigger to the rest of the internals. I don't see that as the best way to do it, but it gets the job done. I love the shorter design and hope to one day own many Bullpups. Namely a Steyr Aug, Tavor Tar-21 and KelTec RFB. I would also love to own a PS90 if there were any legal way to convert it down to the P90's barrel length in Washington. =\

As for KelTec firearms, I have no prior experience with the but I haven't heard anything bad about them except from gun stores.

That’s true in some cases, and was a concern when I looked at the RFB, but I dry-fired it in the store and was amazed at what good design can do. In the past, standard rifles and shotguns were retrofitted to become bull-pups, and the triggers were horrible. I remember some company pushing a bull-pup kit for the Mossberg 500 series shotguns, and they received overwhelmingly terrible reviews. Modern bull-pups are designed to be that right from the first drawing, and it then becomes a matter of who executes the design better. I believe there are a couple NATO members that equip their soldiers with a bull-pup, and I would trust their judgment more than some internet hero presenting his theory as fact on his blog. KelTec wouldn’t have dumped tons of money into product development if they didn’t believe they could make the trigger right, and in my humble opinion, they did.

amlevin

...and yet you post an opinion based only on something you read on the internet? ;-)
That's an assumption on your part. Incorrect I might add. I've shot the Steyer and have closely examined every bullpup design that I've seen in the local Dealer's shops. I don't see one in the future of my "collection".

I hope you at least see the irony; your avatar being a Glock which has volumes of misleading and misinterpreted internet stories circulating, and now you’re posting rumors about a gun you’ve never seen (much less fired) with no basis in fact.

Opinions are not necessarily rumors. Some are just that, opinions, and just like you, we are all entitled to them. All Opinions are not rumors and all rumors are not necessarily false. Just because it's on the Internet doesn't automatically make it unfounded.
BTW, the only reason my Avatar shows a Glock is because I couldn't find a similar one using a Sig which is my choice for a Carry Weapon.

EDIT to correct: The blogger references a KelTec carbine, but doesn't appear to have ever held or fired one.

And he admitted so. His "opinion" is based on his personal views.

As I said, my opinion is just that. Others share it and some don't.

Did you read way down in the article where the main reason behind a bullpup design was to be able to use a longer barrel with limited OAL?

He showed several examples where the difference is only a matter of a couple of inches, and still maintained all the ergonomics of a standard rifle. One that is familiar to most in the dark, in the heat of combat, etc.

Again, just like you are entitled to your choice of firearm, people are entitled to their opinions---even if they don't agree with yours.

Enjoy your rifle, I'll enjoy mine.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I have a PF9, and love it. The quality for the price is great. Maybe not the pretiest gun on the market, but I will stand behind one and not in front of one.
My experience with the PF9----

If I am not extremely careful with thumb placement I will inadvertantly hit the mag release on recoil and drop the mag out turning this weapon into a single shot, insert 2nd mag, take a shot, insert next mag,...

Also, using cheap wolf ammo... not my defensive carry rounds I will get as many as 5 FTF per magazine. Each of the FTF rounds has a significant dimple on the primer and they all fired without problem first time through my XD9 tactical.

So, while it is very easy for me to conceal in a pocket holster or possibly to ankle carry (haven't done this), do to the particular problems I have with the mag release I will not be using my PF9 as a primary tool or a back up tool.

Mainsail

Again, just like you are entitled to your choice of firearm, people are entitled to their opinions---even if they don't agree with yours.

Enjoy your rifle, I'll enjoy mine.

I don't have a problem with your opinion, however, you did not present it as opinion but as fact:

All "Bullpups" suffer this as the trigger is remotely mounted relative to the actual hammer/sear location. Lots of extra mechanism that's not there in a Mini-14 or conventional AR.

No question it has the "cool" looks but in function, there's lots of compromise that a video doesn''t show.

The OP is trying to make a decision about a KelTec handgun, and he's looking for something more authoritative than what he heard in a gun store. That isn't helped by presenting opinion as though it were fact. I can speak to the RFB because I own one, have fired it, and found the rumors, about bull-pups and about the RFB, to be untrue. Hopefully the OP can separate fact from opinion and make an educated decision.

amlevin

Also, using cheap wolf ammo... not my defensive carry rounds I will get as many as 5 FTF per magazine. Each of the FTF rounds has a significant dimple on the primer and they all fired without problem first time through my XD9 tactical.

Some inexpensive ammo can cause some small pistols to not go fully into battery. Just enough to release the disconnector and have the trigger release the sear, but the slide is back a couple of thousandth's and prevents the primer from getting a FULL strike. Next time this happens, try rechambering the round, firmly hit the slide on the rear with the heel of your hand, and see if it then fires. If so, that is the problem. One possible cure that will allow your firearm to function with a wider range of ammo is to take some 2000 grit sandpaper to the chamber area and smooth any machine marks out. Get a piece of 1/4" dowel, cut a slit across the end, and thread enough 2000 grit Wet/Dry sandpaper through it to make the dowel fit just barely snug in the chamber area. Either turn by hand or in a variable speed drill just until the machine marks are smooth. The 2000 grit is more "polish" than "grind" so you won't enlarge the chamber. The Kel Tec's I own have had this same problem until the feed ramp and chamber were polished like I described. They now shoot ANYTHING I put through them. ( proper caliber of course)

This is one of the steps that is often left out in the assembly and finish of lesser expensive firearms. Anything that takes time also costs money so they "tumble polish" a lot of parts to merely take off the sharp edges. Anything beyond that is only addressed if the weapon fails the initial firing test which on most pistols doesn't exceed 10 rounds.

G20-IWB24/7

BTW, the only reason my Avatar shows a Glock is because I couldn't find a similar one using a Sig which is my choice for a Carry Weapon.

I'm just wondering when amlevin is going to finally reload that thing. That GLOCK has been going for a while now without running dry.... ;) Another reason I like them!

amlevin

Or, the person off frame below the grip is very good and consistently able to time the replacement of the magazine in sequence of the action of the firearm.... LOL

Been wondering if one could design a "chain gun" adapter. That way the ammo could be fed out of a giant bin of bulk ammo. Might limit it's effectiveness as a carry weapon though.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Pf9

My experience with the PF9----

If I am not extremely careful with thumb placement I will inadvertantly hit the mag release on recoil and drop the mag out turning this weapon into a single shot, insert 2nd mag, take a shot, insert next mag,...

So, while it is very easy for me to conceal in a pocket holster or possibly to ankle carry (haven't done this), do to the particular problems I have with the mag release I will not be using my PF9 as a primary tool or a back up tool.
I have not had a problem with the mags dropping on me. For plinking I shoot the cheapest Russian Herters ammo ($8.50 for 50). I've never had a single FTF. I want to get a SUB-2000. I will happily carry my PF9 as a primary weapon.

cougfan

I bought my first Kel Tec, a PF9 a couple of weeks ago at NW Ammo and Arms in Lakewood. Paid $260 and feel I got a great deal. It functioned flawlessly and is even a bit more accurate than expected (certainly better than my LCP). I polished the barrel a bit with a dremel, added a side clip for easy and incredibly thin carry and refinished it with Lauer Durabake and am really happy with it. Fit and finish are lousy out of the box, but function is great, parts are cheap on their website (I got 2 new front sites shipped ot me for $1) and I hear their customer service is pretty good.

Tomas

Or, the person off frame below the grip is very good and consistently able to time the replacement of the magazine in sequence of the action of the firearm.... LOL

Been wondering if one could design a "chain gun" adapter. That way the ammo could be fed out of a giant bin of bulk ammo. Might limit it's effectiveness as a carry weapon though.

For some reason that made me picture a huge "snail" magazine sticking out the bottom of the grip. :lol: