• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IL trooper encounter

cash50

Several people have mentioned a recorder. I am almost positive that IL has STRICT recording laws requiring both parties consent. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I would look it up and cite but I'm at the doctors on my phone, + I am lazy. :-D. Remember, just because it is legal in MO doesn't mean it is somewhere else.

It's a felony in Illannoy. There's a marquee case going right now that hopefully gets appealed and can overturn this.

HandyHamlet

It's a felony in IL to record audio. There are several high profile cases going through the courts right now.

NOT showing ID when stopped by a Trooper is a good way to meet your maker. Or having any kind of camera or recording device anywhere near them. IL cops do not care about your rights or the law. At all.

[video=youtube;LFOd5r9dU5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFOd5r9dU5w[/video]

lancers

?? If you have to ask them if you can record, do they have to ask your premission to be recorded?? If not, can you tell them to stop??

No. LE have exemptions in the law just like they do with just about everything else. They can text and talk on their phone when the public can't. They can whip their guns out without cause and not fear prosecution. The list goes on.

As for the stop, it would certainly be bad in MO if it happened like the OP says. There is one specific case here where a trooper stopped a women for what he thought was no license plate. Once he approached the car, he was able to see a valid temp tag. He continued with the stop, requesting ID, and eventually finding drugs. Our Missouri Court said that the evidence must be excluded as the officer should have concluded the stop as soon as he saw the vehicle was legal, having no other suspicion that a crime was being committed. No ID/license check, no search, nothing. Now I could see IL being the complete opposite because they care nothing about citizens' rights.

I actually turned down a great job because I would have had to move to IL. NO THANKS!

HandyHamlet

Just in case people think we are "over the top" with our criticism.

Here is a recent publicized case. The cop was actually found guilty.
[video=youtube;aqLrkDvFOUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLrkDvFOUg[/video]

Here is a famous case.
[video=youtube;gi_I8I8EPxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_I8I8EPxg[/video]

A Chicago police officer avoided jail time today for pummeling a woman who was tending bar, even though prosecutors produced a previously unseen video showing him beating someone else at the bar hours earlier.

Anthony Abbate was sentenced to two years probation for beating Karolina Obrycka in February of 2007. He could have gotten up to five years for the attack, which was captured by the bar's security camera and shown around the world.

Judge John Fleming said he decided against jail because he did not believe the crime was serious enough and throwing Abbate behind bars would not be a deterrent to others.

Last edited:

cash50

HandyHamlet - those are some rather disturbing videos.

I can't wait for the day, if it ever comes, that police will be treated (sentenced) on the same playing field as the citizens they have locked up.

HandyHamlet

Those are just a few vids. Don't forget, iL is so corrupt we are about to have two (oops, I forgot I successfully fled that state) Governors in prison. At the same time. The state is bankrupt. The court system is so corrupt they had to stop the death penalty. Something like 177 out of 250 death penalty convictions were overturned. Innocent men railroaded.

And Chicago...

"On June 28, a federal jury in Chicago returned a verdict of guilty on all counts against Jon Burge, a retired Chicago Police Commander who had tortured, and organized the torture, of Black men in Chicago for 20 years or more. Burge was found guilty of perjury and obstruction of justice—NOT torture. He was found guilty only of lying to cover up the torture in which he and men under his command engaged from at least 1972 to 1993—when he was forced into retirement with a generous pension. Burge will be sentenced on November 15, 2010 and faces a maximum sentence of 45 years in prison."

I'd like to see them treated equally by the Justice System but talk about an uphill battle.

And I guess my point is do not mess around with the cops in IL. Get in and get out.