• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone else OC while cycling?

fire suppressor

I'm not big into cycling right now like I would like to be. My brother has a nice road bike I use once and awhile to go around the block and I have open carried while riding. It's not that bad just get a good holster the cheap ones will rub on your hip as you peddle and chafe, once you find a way to lock your holster in its not that bad

bennie1986

I'm not big into cycling right now like I would like to be. My brother has a nice road bike I use once and awhile to go around the block and I have open carried while riding. It's not that bad just get a good holster the cheap ones will rub on your hip as you peddle and chafe, once you find a way to lock your holster in its not that bad

I use my serpa and haven't had an issue.

Tawnos

I believe Tawnos OC's on his bike quite a bit.

Yeah, though when training for the STP this year I switched to something that wouldn't put a weight on one side. I have a timbuk2 handlebar bag that perfectly fits my crossbreed + PPS. If I remember tonight I'll take a picture.

If you're riding a road bike in lycra and want to OC, you have to have a belt - the material is just too stretchy and thin to hold a pistol's weight. Obviously, for short jaunts to the store or similar this is not a problem, as you can do those in normal clothes without issue.

A couple other things to consider: if you're going up a long hill, you'll be going slowly and may be out of breath. It can drastically lower your awareness of surroundings, and people can generally run up next to you quickly. Also, you'll want to practice shooting one handed, unsupported, as you may need to hold yourself steady with the other hand (at least I do when wearing cleats - speedplay zero).

Fallschirjmäger

When I used to mountain bike in Aridzona, I would often OC (at the time it was the Only way to carry.) Never did I see such kind, courteous and considerate motorists. Quite often they would be completely in the opposite line as they passed me on my bike. Most times it was just a holstered Glock on my left hip against a light colored tee shirt to protect against the sun.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I have always carried when riding my bikes. On the diamond frame bikes I usually carried in my bike bag hanging on the top rail or on a belly band. [ way back before I knew about OC! ]

However, I now ride several times a month on the Centennial trail from Snohomish to North of Arlington and back on my recumbent.

I OC routinely, and since I am essentially laying down I carry my Kimber in my Safariland ALS. Has held it very well and I don't worry about it. I've not had any comments from other riders or pedestrians yet.

I always wear my cargo shorts with good gunbelt and the holster. Winter now and I wear my shorts over long Windstopper pants.

Lots of signs up warning of Mountain Lions seen on the trail LOL! I haven't seen any yet though. But I did just receive a box of Buffalo Bore 255 gr. 45 ACP. Those should be an experience to shoot.

fire suppressor

This may be a stupid question but is a cpl required to carry on a bicycle? Could some lawyer argue the bike could be considered a vehicle?

bmg50cal

Most cycles can not be ridden in, most are ridden on; one little two letter word in the RCW makes all the difference.

[h=2]RCW 9.41.050[/h][h=1]Carrying firearms.[/h]
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

[2003 c 53 § 28; 1997 c 200 § 1; 1996 c 295 § 4; 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 405; 1982 1st ex.s. c 47 § 3; 1961 c 124 § 4; 1935 c 172 § 5; RRS § 2516-5.]

FMJ 911

I have always carried when riding my bikes. On the diamond frame bikes I usually carried in my bike bag hanging on the top rail or on a belly band. [ way back before I knew about OC! ]

However, I now ride several times a month on the Centennial trail from Snohomish to North of Arlington and back on my recumbent.

I OC routinely, and since I am essentially laying down I carry my Kimber in my Safariland ALS. Has held it very well and I don't worry about it. I've not had any comments from other riders or pedestrians yet.

I always wear my cargo shorts with good gunbelt and the holster. Winter now and I wear my shorts over long Windstopper pants.

Lots of signs up warning of Mountain Lions seen on the trail LOL! I haven't seen any yet though. But I did just receive a box of Buffalo Bore 255 gr. 45 ACP. Those should be an experience to shoot.

You mentioned riding on the Centennial Trail? I thought Firearms were prohibited on the trail? If not, then I will start OC'ing when I go there.

Jayd1981

I got into cycling last year myself. However I wear either work out shorts or sweat pants when riding since jeans just aren't comfortable for 15 - 20 miles. But I wear a fanny pack (I know totally stylish) with one of my pocket pistols in it. I went to several bicycle stores and searched for a good solution for carrying while riding but a fanny pack is really about the best I found other than a bag attatched to the bike which I don't want since I do get off the bike to stop pick up lunch on my way to work and things like there. I did have several people at the bike shops act almost condesending to me when I told them what I'm trying to find. One guy actually asked why the hell I'd carry a gun while I'm cycling, I respond the same reason I'd carry a gun any other time. But thats the solution I went with. Hopefully this year me and my best friend will be attempting the STP also, hopefully.

fire suppressor

I got into cycling last year myself. However I wear either work out shorts or sweat pants when riding since jeans just aren't comfortable for 15 - 20 miles. But I wear a fanny pack (I know totally stylish) with one of my pocket pistols in it. I went to several bicycle stores and searched for a good solution for carrying while riding but a fanny pack is really about the best I found other than a bag attatched to the bike which I don't want since I do get off the bike to stop pick up lunch on my way to work and things like there. I did have several people at the bike shops act almost condesending to me when I told them what I'm trying to find. One guy actually asked why the hell I'd carry a gun while I'm cycling, I respond the same reason I'd carry a gun any other time. But thats the solution I went with. Hopefully this year me and my best friend will be attempting the STP also, hopefully.

If you have not looked at them yet company's do make nice leather conceal carry fanny packs. They have a low profile semi hidden zipper compartment witch doubles as a holster so your gun it angled in the right position when you go to draw it. I bought one a few years ago and still use mine once and awhile

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
You mentioned riding on the Centennial Trail? I thought Firearms were prohibited on the trail? If not, then I will start OC'ing when I go there.

FMJ,
Go re-read 9.41.300 for a list of prohibited places. That should help clarify for you where you can and can't carry a gun. Give me a pm anytime and we can get together for a ride. It's a great trail. I'm hoping they get it finished up to the Skagit county line soon.

Difdi

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bmg50cal
Most cycles can not be ridden in, most are ridden on; one little two letter word in the RCW makes all the difference.

Use of a fairing can blur the line considerably.​

These fairings likely would be considered as riding IN a bike/trike and would require a CPL.:p

http://www.bluevelo.com/Photo_Gallery.html

Lammo

Of course, over here on the dry side my thought was about "our" Centennial Trail which runs from the Idaho state line to Nine Mile Falls (the Idaho portion runs all the way to Coeur d'Alene).

Our trail over here allegedly has rules that prohibit firearms (http://www.spokanecentennialtrail.org/Page/Rules.aspx). Au contraire, bison bottom breath. This is public property and not listed as a prohibited or regulatable (regulable?) area in RCW 9.41.290, .300 or anywhere else in RCW 9.41. I suspect that the "wet side" Centennial Trail is also public property. If they are trying to prohibit firearms the law/ordinance/policy/whatever is just as void as the one in Spokane.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
LOL!
There are SO many Centennial trails in the US I couldn't believe it when I tried to Google the one out of Snohomish. The good news is that I have never seen any signs along the trail prohibiting firearms. So don't believe any action is needed on our wet one:)