• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just say no when the TSA asks you to 'chat'

PistolPackingMomma

Hey, we may not catch terrorists, but at least revenue collecting is up!!!

The "chat down" program has been a failure, by the way, at least according to a recent editorial published in USA Today. TSA officials interviewed about 725,000 travelers at Logan International Airport in Boston over the course of one year, and none of them turned out to be terrorists. A small percentage were arrested on outstanding warrants for other crimes, but that's not the purpose of the (sic)

To make matters worse, some TSA agents have told civil rights attorneys that they were instructed to target minority passengers at airports, to increase the odds of finding criminals and build justification for the program.

EMNofSeattle

People still fly on commercial aircraft? I gave up on that a few years ago.

Most cases it's cheaper to drive anyway. even with gas at 4/gallon.

I would never fly to a destination less the 1500 miles away anyway, If I can make it in a day's drive I don't think it's worth the extra $$$$ to fly there. and to honest, flying scares me anyway. I'll take Amtrak before riding the friendly skies, and at least I get to keep my dignity

since9

Campaign Veteran
Most cases it's cheaper to drive anyway. even with gas at 4/gallon.

I live in Colorado. My son lives in California, 1,263 miles distant. The round-trip cost of driving starts at around $500, and that doesn't include hotels, meals, and lost time. Total comes to around $900.

Cost of flying is usually around $300, one-third the price.

EMNofSeattle

I live in Colorado. My son lives in California, 1,263 miles distant. The round-trip cost of driving starts at around $500, and that doesn't include hotels, meals, and lost time. Total comes to around $900.

300 one way it appears from looking at Travelocity. I'm sure special deals might come into play but I'm nowhere near savvy enough to time those right. And I can drive 1200 in 22 hours. As long as I get coffee I can do that one without needing hotels and the food I require is dollar cheeseburgers from McDs

or maybe youdo get round trip for 300 I don't fly do I'm just quoting you travelocity

Hef

What is a "few years ago" for you?

Me it was 2001. Except when I had to fly home from Korea at the end of 2001.

Five years ago. Flew from SC to NH for my sister's wedding. Airline lost my luggage, including my firearm, and then acted like it wasn't their problem until I threatened get my face on the news to talk about how they don't care about keeping firearms secure.

Since then the airlines have really gone down the toilet. I refuse to fly. If I can't drive there I'm not going.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Gotta get a better MPG vehicle ... mine would cost 252 - assuming $5 gas. No hotels, its a 1 shot trip.

$300 round trip is good, but you still need a car at your destination? Add 200-300 ... so a $600 trip v 250 driving.

Meals? Ya gotta eat anyway, so its a wash. Lost time? You can save time driving ... ever been stranded at an airport?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Gotta get a better MPG vehicle ... mine would cost 252 - assuming $5 gas. No hotels, its a 1 shot trip.

$300 round trip is good, but you still need a car at your destination? Add 200-300 ... so a $600 trip v 250 driving.

Meals? Ya gotta eat anyway, so its a wash. Lost time? You can save time driving ... ever been stranded at an airport?

Renting a car can be pretty pricey, and you can be refused for a rental at the whim of the company. I don't think food is that expensive for a long strip, I just buy a a couple pounds of apples and a candy bar and a six pack of coke classic and those hold me over for a 1000 miles at a time.

VW_Factor

Maybe 3 tanks of fuel (round trip) in the TDI with fill ups (to the neck) being around $50 bones or so.

Estimated cost of travel by car round trip maybe $150 to $175 with a margin for error. I think you are driving the wrong kind of car.. :p

cabledawg

I'll drive, bus or ride a train before I fly again. Unfortunately, work doesnt let me pick one so if I'm on official business I have to fly. And it has nothing to do with cost (in most cases for me anyways), I just hate TSA and the airlines that much.

bigdaddy1

Back to the OP, can you simply decline to "chat"? Not that I fly anywhere anyhow, the last time I flew was in 1990 for my honeymoon.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Maybe 3 tanks of fuel (round trip) in the TDI with fill ups (to the neck) being around $50 bones or so.

Estimated cost of travel by car round trip maybe $150 to $175 with a margin for error. I think you are driving the wrong kind of car.. :p

I used 4$ gas,,, since9 would be planning on 20.2 mpg...
David used 5$ gas,,, planned on 50 mpg...
VW factor has a supper car,,, at 4$ gas he plans on 57.7 mpg,,,5$ gas he is planning on 72.1 mpg!!! wow!

I,, would plan on 4$ gas,,,374$,, 27 mpg..
I would still drive...

carolina guy

Unless you are REALLY cost concerned...I would consider the following as quite "valuable":

1) not catching some weird cold from flying and breathing so much recirculated air while in a little metal tube with a few hundred other people

2) not having to pay and leave your car unattended for days

3) not needing a rental on the other end of the trip

4) not having to drag your luggage all over creation multiple times

5) not worrying about government "criminals" pawing through (and possibly stealing things) from your checked luggage

6) being able to bring as much food, drinks, and shampoo (or other liquid items) you wish...not limited to 3 oz or less and having to buy from an airport shop

7) no flight cancellations, bumped seats, etc....although this is balanced against traffic jams and breakdowns.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

VW factor has a supper car,,, at 4$ gas he plans on 57.7 mpg,,,5$ gas he is planning on 72.1 mpg!!! wow!

72mpg is a reach. Can attain low to mid 60mpg on the highway keeping around 65mph.

TDI stick shift ftw! (This is the earlier model 00's diesel btw)

Last edited: