• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting guns from California to Oregon

TylerFromOregon

Hello everybody, I will be visiting from Oregon visiting my grandmother who doesn't have too much time left. She has a few .22 rifles that she wants to give to family back in Oregon. My questions are what are the laws regarding transporting firearms in California? Would I have to have a FFL transfer ownership to me? Is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Hello everybody, I will be visiting from Oregon visiting my grandmother who doesn't have too much time left. She has a few .22 rifles that she wants to give to family back in Oregon. My questions are what are the laws regarding transporting firearms in California? Would I have to have a FFL transfer ownership to me? Is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

You will need an FFL. If you lived here in California, it would be possible to do an interfamilial transfer- But you reside in another state....

mjones

I don't know the appropriate state laws in Oregon. They might be more restrictive then federal law.

Federal law declares that all interstate transfers must go through an FFL in the recipients state (there are some extremely narrow circumstances where an FFL is not needed) So, somehow the current owner needs to send them to an FFL in OR. I would recommend you check Oregon centric firearms sites as I don't have a clue what the process might be on the Oregon end of the transfer.

Last edited:

mjones

Nope. Federal law declares that insterstate transfers of other than rifles and shotguns must go through an FFL in the recipient's state. Interstate transfers of rifles and shotguns must go through an FFL, but that FFL may be located in any state, so long as the state laws of both the recipient and the FFL are followed. In this case, it is California law that prohibits a California FFL from transferring the rifles to the Oregon resident. In this case, the rifles must be shipped to an FFL in a state that is less restrictive than California...such as Oregon, for the transfer to the Oregon resident. If the recipient lived closer to an Idaho or Washington FFL, it would be perfectly legal for the Washington or Idaho FFL to transfer the rifles to the Oregon resident.

I absolutely concur with your details. The end result is that for handguns they must be sent to an FFL in Oregon. For non NFA rifles/shotguns they must be sent to an FFL outside of CA which is capable of transferring to an OR resident.