• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Russian warship Viktor Leonov docks at Havana

wimwag

Moscow managed to sneak a warship with electronic eavesdropping technology past a negligent Obama administration and docked in Havana harbor.

If there are weapons aboard or even control systems for weapons systems being smuggled or already present, Russia will have gained a definite first strike capability.

http://likeomggunsareforlosers.blogspot.com/2014/02/russians-docking-in-havana.html

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

beebobby

Having been in the Navy, I'm sure we have been tracking that ship since it left its home port, but if you want to be afraid, go for it.

SFCRetired

Non-story. She's an intel trawler and those have been docking in Cuba ever since Whatsisname-with-the-beard took over. And, if you think, and they think, she sneaked in there totally unobserved, both of you have another think coming.

Back in the sixties, pre-intelsat days, we had the capability of tracking such ships almost anywhere in the world. I would venture to say that surveillance now is even more sophisticated.

WalkingWolf

Non-story. She's an intel trawler and those have been docking in Cuba ever since Whatsisname-with-the-beard took over. And, if you think, and they think, she sneaked in there totally unobserved, both of you have another think coming.

Back in the sixties, pre-intelsat days, we had the capability of tracking such ships almost anywhere in the world. I would venture to say that surveillance now is even more sophisticated.

That is what Fat Albert was used for...

wimwag

You do know that the Soviets have a first strike capability already.....right?

If you call improperly maintained ICBMs "capable." If you call 70 constantly crashing computer systems controlling the arsenal "capable." Maybe. But having it in Cuba makes it that much closer and allows them to literally strike first, destroying some of ours as they are being launched. It's an advantage the world cannot afford them to have. Our technology is at least 10 years ahead of theirs. We have first strike capability. The USSR collapsed because of the fact that communism could not keep up financially with capitalism and they bankrupted themselves.

No money means mid 90s computer technology is the norm, maybe a few places with a few modern pieces of equipment. Take it from a guy whose bills are paid selling that junk online to former eastern bloc satellite states. Its why they tried putting bases on Cuba in the past.

wimwag

You do know that the Soviets have a first strike capability already.....right?

Soviets are history. They call themselves the Russian Federation now. They are also much more hardline and sadistic than before. Look at their not president President.

Fallschirjmäger

They "snuck it past", did we have a blockade of Havanah Harbor? Of Cuba? Did it sneak in under cover of darkness?
"Warship" has (2) AK-630 30 mm/ Gatling guns and (2) SA-N-8 surface-to-air missiles.
BfQnX9oCMAIAgWX.jpg:large

TheOptimisticConservative The [Lenonov] is not a fighting platform; certainly not for projecting military power ashore. She has two 30mm guns and a pair of launchers for short range anti-air missiles (the SA-N-8 “Gremlin” system, the naval version of the SA-14). Her presence in the region is not a military tactical advantage for Russia’s clients.

Last edited:

Bernymac

Moscow managed to sneak a warship with electronic eavesdropping technology past a negligent Obama administration and docked in Havana harbor.

If there are weapons aboard or even control systems for weapons systems being smuggled or already present, Russia will have gained a definite first strike capability.

http://likeomggunsareforlosers.blogspot.com/2014/02/russians-docking-in-havana.html

If you call improperly maintained ICBMs "capable." If you call 70 constantly crashing computer systems controlling the arsenal "capable." Maybe. But having it in Cuba makes it that much closer and allows them to literally strike first, destroying some of ours as they are being launched. It's an advantage the world cannot afford them to have. Our technology is at least 10 years ahead of theirs. We have first strike capability. The USSR collapsed because of the fact that communism could not keep up financially with capitalism and they bankrupted themselves.

No money means mid 90s computer technology is the norm, maybe a few places with a few modern pieces of equipment. Take it from a guy whose bills are paid selling that junk online to former eastern bloc satellite states. Its why they tried putting bases on Cuba in the past.

Soviets are history. They call themselves the Russian Federation now. They are also much more hardline and sadistic than before. Look at their not president President.

So...are you worried that the Russians have docked a piece of crap, outdated, unreliable, uncapable ship that looks like it has been made for some sort of warfare in Cuba? How can they be capable of eavesdropping when you allude to the fact that they have (according to you) a not so "capable" tech? Or are you just bragging that you sold Russia or some former eastern bloc states pieces of crap? Or you worried that they are hardline and sadistic and now they are after you for selling them said crap?

Mixed messages, here, mixed messages! :dude::dude::dude:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://ruptly.tv/vod/view/9992/cuba-russian-intelligence-ship-docks-in-havana

The Viktor Leonov CCB-175 is a Vishnya-class intelligence ship currently crewed by 200 servicepeople. The vessel measures 91.5 metres (300 feet) long and 14.5 metres (48 feet) wide. Built in Gdansk, Poland, the Viktor Leonov was commissioned in 1988.

It can travel up to 7,000 nautical miles at 16 knots speed, with a maximum speed of 16.5 knots, and can operate autonomously for 45 days. The vessel’s surveillance gear includes the Profile-N, Rotor-N and Prokhlada systems. It is armed with 30-mm AK-630M closed-in weapons systems, and launch systems for 9K38 Igla missiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K38_Igla

The 9K38 Igla (Russian: Игла́, "needle") is a Russian/Soviet man-portable infrared homing surface-to-air missile (SAM). "9K38" is the Russian GRAU designation of the system. Its US DoD designation is SA-18 and its NATO reporting name is Grouse; a simplified, earlier version is known as the 9K310 Igla-1, or SA-16 Gimlet. The latest variant is the 9K338 Igla-S NATO reporting name SA-24 Grinch. It has been fielded by the Russian Army since 2004.[1]
There exists a two-barrel 9K38 missile launcher called Djigit

The ship looks old and decrepit. So do I, that does not make me less dangerous. The "missiles" are MANPADS that will not fly from cuba to fla. The ship has been there before.