• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

By Golly, the Barney Fife Solution - I think it could work!

Maverick9

I was sitting here talking about the rampage in Stockton where a gang of thugs killed a hostage and shot up the city, when I blurted out:

"We've been talking about disarming the police, eliminating the asset forfeiture without conviction law (license to steal), and removing the military vehicle upgrading that's been occurring, they really ought to just issue all LEOs two bullets"

Suddenly, it occurred to me that this might, indeed, be a viable solution. If every cop is given a firearm which can only shoot two bullets (or three, whatever), then they'd be A LOT less likely to go Rambo on us. Still possessing enough deadly force to deal with, oh, what is it, 95% of armed confrontations being solved with 2-5 rounds, and allow self-protection, but not nearly enough to use the 'spray and pray' method of crime interdiction, it might start a trend of arms de-escalation.

Now, of course cops could carry back up, they could carry extra bullets, they could get a shotgun out of the trunk, heck they could carry handgrenades. But the idea of having only 2-3 bullets is a reasonable and workable alternative to disarming them which both sides might be able to accept.

Of course it will take a tragedy of epic proportions where cops kill innocent children by shooting them in the head or throwing a grenade into a baby's crib...oh wait, they've already done that... :uhoh:

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Before the proliferation of hi cap semi autos to the market most police carried six shot revolvers. They did there job, and as far as I can remember a lot less innocent casualties.

The real solution is EVERYBODY is held responsible for their actions. Including police.

After a few lose all they own, or go to prison the trend will reverse.

Last edited:

Maverick9

Before the proliferation of hi cap semi autos to the market most police carried six shot revolvers. They did there job, and as far as I can remember a lot less innocent casualties.

The real solution is EVERYBODY is held responsible for their actions. Including police.

Eloquently put, and I agree to some degree, but that's not the solution. It has to come from the top, it has to be tied to the finances, there has to be disincentives to using a firing solution, and incentives to using deescalation.

Even if it's so mundane as to institute a fine and a very uncomfortable investigation and mandatory transfer for anyone using firearms on the force (except for designated snipers, etc.), and a bonus for solving things by negotiation.

Yes, like the idea of returning to 5-6 shot revolvers. Harder to quickly reload, less firepower less false bravado. A change in hiring practices and perhaps a ban on top officers being able to transition to political careers.

Start at the top, work down, iow.

OC for ME

When thugs use only wheel guns then the cops will not be able to claim that they are being outgunned. :rolleyes:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Yes, there's always been corruption, roadside justice, but that's not news. Do you have any thoughts on a solution to what's happening now.

First off you have to have management that cares and transfers that care to the rank and file. Corrupt management brings the whole organization down.

To get good management one needs honest elected officials that care about up holding the constitution.

Once we get away from constitution we get away from the basis rights and responsibilities.

Making individuals responsible for their own actions replacing your not responsible drugs, alcohol, my up bringing

I am crazy cause me to do it.

The government well solve all are problems and make things better mentality instead of I am responsible for myself and my actions.

Doing away with the war on drugs, all firearm laws, with all the federal agencies not spelled out in the constitution BAFTE,FBI, NSP, NFS, BLM and many others.

is a good start

Batousaii

THIS

+1

Did I say +1? ... +100.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
When thugs use only wheel guns then the cops will not be able to claim that they are being outgunned. :rolleyes:

So you are saying that it's OK to send a $2Million cruise missle halfway around the world to take out two or three guys in a $5Thousand pickup truck?

OK, that's hyperbole.

Cops are a reactive force and IMHO have no business getting into a knock-down fire fight with criminals, except in rare cases. Hollywood bank robbery, maybe. Miami FBI shootout, no. Contain the criminals and get/keep the general public away from danger. How long was it until the Cardinal of Panama begged for mercy and agreed to give up Noriega if we would just shut off that awful music?

Just this week shots were fired at cops responding to a 911 call about a "domestic situation". They closed down a major thoroughfare and several side streets, locked down many businesses that were in the "potential line of fire" and pretty much stood/sat around waiting for the guy with the gun to kill himself, kill someone else forcing them to feel the need to bum-rush the place, or give up. BG chose Door #3 after about 4 hours.

As opposed to 33 (or was it 66?) cops in California shooting at a car that they knew contained a hostage, because someone decided they needed to "contain" the situation and "prevent further violence". 300 rounds later the hostage was dead after being hit 10 times (several hits considered fatal) and two of the three BGs were wounded.

If our street really were a war zone like the cops and politicians claim, the battle would have been over long ago. And in case anybody wonders, the BGs would have been the losers.

But the Barney Fife solution needs more than a limit of just one bullet that is kept in his shirt pocket until Sheriff Andy says it is OK to lock and load. First Barney needs to know everybody and most of their business and personal life. Second, people need to agree with Barney that whatever "it" is that needs to be nipped in the bud really does need nipping. Back when I was young (some time between the extinction of the dinosaurs and the Great Chicago Fire) cops walked their beat and did in fact know everybody and everybody's business. Maybe with the changes the world has gone through we can no longer get by with just beat cops, but we would be a lot better off if it were an "us" relationship instead of an "us cops vs everybody else" one.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

I was thinking, isn't that what England's police are unarmed and armed for? Only armed police are called out when lethal force is supposedly needed?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Cops are citizens too, and should think of themselves as citizens first and cops second (that "civilians" thing from cops irritates me) and as such, I have no issues with them being armed how and where the citizens they serve can be armed. No more and no less, with at least the same level of accountability and in many instances, moreso as they are an enforcement arm of gov't. The problem IMO is cops having a different set of rules as to what and where they carry. If cops weren't exempted from so many of the same firearm laws citizens must follow, we'd have constitutional carry nationally in a week (why yes, I am feeling a bit hyperbolic today).

papa bear

Cops are citizens too, and should think of themselves as citizens first and cops second (that "civilians" thing from cops irritates me) and as such, I have no issues with them being armed how and where the citizens they serve can be armed. No more and no less, with at least the same level of accountability and in many instances, moreso as they are an enforcement arm of gov't. The problem IMO is cops having a different set of rules as to what and where they carry. If cops weren't exempted from so many of the same firearm laws citizens must follow, we'd have constitutional carry nationally in a week (why yes, I am feeling a bit hyperbolic today).

I agree police are civilians. i have made a lot of LEO mad because i pointed that out to them. but as long as they are on government duty they should not be armed with lethal force. once they are not on government duty then the 2ndA applies. no government employee should have lethal force