• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bite of Seattle: No firearms allowed at this event

DoomGoober

Anyone else see the giant "No firearms allowed at this event" signs at all of the entrances to Bite of Seattle?

I was a little miffed, so I looked into it: Bite is run by private companies (sponsored by Comcast mainly) so I guess they have the right to restrict carry. However, it was on public land (Seattle Center) so that seemed a bit off. Anyone else know the legal details of this?

As an aside, I did notice a couple people in NRA hats and one guy with an awesome shirt: It said "Freedom" underlined with two crossed rifles. But of course, nobody was open carrying.

Lemmiwinks

I was there on Friday and saw the signs. They appear to be the same exact signs used during Bumbershoot and Folklife. They're probably owned by the center grounds facilities folks and put up for all their campus-wide events.

The "no firearms" signs came down from the doors entering the center house itself after the Seattle parks ban was shot down in court.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Can Someone Help Me Out Here?

It's my understanding, and I may be wrong, that in order to obtain a lease from the city for any event held at Seattle Center the Lessee must agree to have a "No Firearms" clause in the lease.

If the city owns the land and REQUIRES that a "No Firearms" clause be part of the lease isn't that a violation of state preemption?

sudden valley gunner

It's my understanding, and I may be wrong, that in order to obtain a lease from the city for any event held at Seattle Center the Lessee must agree to have a "No Firearms" clause in the lease.

If the city owns the land and REQUIRES that a "No Firearms" clause be part of the lease isn't that a violation of state preemption?

Good points and something I have been wondering about, I think of it like this.....
Could a the city order the lessee to ban, specific ethnic backgrounds, gay folks, disabled?

daddy4count

Doesn't state law allow for firearms ban at outdoor festivals?

This would certainly qualify...

Also, I am curious if state or city owned land is still subject to preemption if it is under private control. Seattle Center is leased from the City and run by a private company, unless I am mistaken...

Bob Warden

"Doesn't state law allow for firearms ban at outdoor festivals?"

That ban is for outdoor music festivals, which the Bite is not:
RCW 70.108.020
Definitions.

For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer

Last edited:

amlevin

Just a couple of points to ponder. First one is that the whole "Parks Ban" issue in Seattle got real traction in Seattle after the incident at the folklife festival. Seems that someone saw a gun and decided to make it an issue. A fight ensued and shot(s) fired. Second point, Seattle is loaded with people that have an abundance of hate for guns and a shortage of brains. With this in mind, expect a lot of those described in my last sentence to be at the "bite". Expect them to make a big issue if they see a gun, perhaps even to the point of starting a fight just as happened at "folklife".

I am not defending the actions of the gun owner that was involved a "folklife", just suggesting that things could be learned from that incident. The "bite" might be a good time to conceal if one plans on attending while armed. Otherwise, be prepared for some dumbass Seattle idiot to make an issue. If I were inclined to attend, I'd rather spend my time chowing down rather than spending it with SPD officers that, while knowing that OC is legal, are required to respond to all complaints (re: SPD Training Bulletin).

daddy4count

"Doesn't state law allow for firearms ban at outdoor festivals?"

That ban is for outdoor music festivals, which the Bite is not...
Thanks for the clarification, Bob

Personally, I would conceal at the Bite... only because of the close proximity of so many people. I would spend more time worrying about my gun and less time enjoying the delicious food.

OC at an event like that would have to be my main purpose for attending...

I am cautious at the grocery store where there might be 5 people within 15 feet... at the Bite it is more like 15 people within 5 feet.

Not that I expect anybody would ever grab the gun... but it only takes that one idiot.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I carried at...

the Tacoma Freedom Fest and so did at least 4 others. We all carried OC and had no issues with the 20,000 people or 200 or so officers.

Of course I had a video camera running and was with another person.

I would personally do the same at the Bite. This is exactly the crowd that needs to see guns in public on a LAC with no issues. And what better place to be if there is an idiot, a LEO within 60 seconds to assist. While it might be better to be in a group of 2 people and to have your SA at full tilt, I would think that this would be an ideal place to OC>

Aryk45XD

Big +1 for careful carry

These are the best to carry freely. The main thing would be to have support with you. Events like this and a pocket full of pamphlets would be an awesome way to get the truth out. You don't want to go this alone though. Being prepared for anything that could come at you would raise with the amount of people there. Even if they are CCing or not at all, it would be better to have a group with you. If they are OC, more people can see them too.
I will not be attending cause I'm a M&P kinda guy and hate crowds. That's just how I roll.
just my thought.

Last edited:

KrautBurner

folklife festival

I'm on my way now to the Seattle FolkLife festival 2011
The people I'm meeting turf just called me to inform me of these signs.

Because I'm a bit unclear on these rules,
I decided to leave my Xd357 and my Kholster in my car at the ferry terminal. :(
(i don't open carry in seattle)

sudden valley gunner

I'm on my way now to the Seattle FolkLife festival 2011
The people I'm meeting turf just called me to inform me of these signs.

Because I'm a bit unclear on these rules,
I decided to leave my Xd357 and my Kholster in my car at the ferry terminal. :(
(i don't open carry in seattle)

I open carry in Seattle with no issues.

jddssc121

KrautBurner

I open carry in Seattle with no issues.

I don't Open Carry often,
but I wouldn't open carry in Seattle unless at some sort of political rallye (more likely in Olympia)

btw,
I saw a SPD officer at this festival carrying in an interesting fashon,
he had a LARGE wheel gun in a front cross draw position
the pistol was Staneless/Nickle and had one of those huge wooden grips (with the counterballance at the bottom)

looked kinda like this (but was decorative wood)
Webley-Alectro-Left-Pistol_Grip.jpg

wanted to ask him about it, but he looked like he was responding to some dope smokers or something.