• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anything and everything - getting a gun, carrying a gun, age to carry...

Thomasmcnlt6

I know that this isn't really the place to be asking this, but I hoped you nice people could help me out.

I am interested in getting a gun. I wanted to know everything that I have to go through in order to legally carry it around. I live in Virginia obviously, but in Arlington County, way up north, not really Virgina compared to the rest of the state.

To be clear:
What is the minimum age?
and what permits do I need to own and carry a gun?

I am also confused on what "preempted" means. Specifically "Virginia is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is increasingly common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality." What the hell does that mean?

Hope to hear from you
Tom

zoom6zoom

Welcome, Tom. Preemption means that while Arlington may be out of line with much of the rest of the state with it's political philosophy, it has to operate under the same rules as every other jurisdiction when it comes to gun laws. Google "Dillon Rule" for a full explanation of preemption.

You can own and open carry a handgun at age 18. No permit is required for OC. You can't purchase a handgun from a dealer at this age, but may in a private purchase or as a gift. There is no registration of guns or their owners in Virgina.

Concealed carry requires a permit which you can get at age 21. You will require proof of training as part of the application process; there are several instructors on the forum. Virginia is a "shall issue" state, so as long as you have no reason to be denied, you will get your permit.

Last edited:

architect

What is the minimum age?

18 to possess. OC, or buy privately, 21 to buy from an FFL, or CC

None. To conceal in public you need a CHP (concealed handgun permit).

I am also confused on what "preempted" means. Specifically "Virginia is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is increasingly common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality." What the hell does that mean?

It means that localities, e.g. Arlington Co. are precluded from making and enforcing laws that restrict ownership, possession, and carry. Localities still have the power to regulate discharges. However, self defense is an affirmative defense to discharge limitations. Fairfax is like Arlington, it is illegal in both counties to fire a firearm, but if you legally defend your life, you cannot be prosecuted for the discharge.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I know that this isn't really the place to be asking this, but I hoped you nice people could help me out.

Sure it's the place to ask stuff like this and welcome to the forum. Most here are friendly and know quite a bit. The best thing you can do to learn is read the other posts... also use the search function to get familiar with what has been asked and answered.. that will help you alot as well.

Ed

The Wolfhound

First answer

If you are 21 years of age or older and not prohibited by prior convictions or mental health commitments, you may purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer. This much is Federal law. In the Commonwealth of Virginia, you may carry openly most places. To carry concealed, you need a permit issued by your County Clerk of Courts. Virginia is a "Shall Issue" state which means you can only be denied a permit for actual cause, unless there is something in your background check to prevent it, they must issue you a permit, once you satisfy the requirements (application, fee, proof of ID, perhaps fingerprints depends on the County.)

Others more versed in the specifics will now chime in on the places you may not carry.
Darn it! they were faster than I was.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

If you are over 21 and want to buy from a FFL you will need two forms of ID to show that you are a state resident. This little piece of info caused me another half hour of driving to go get the 2nd piece.

Usually a state drivers license is #1 and a utility bill with your name on it and your address, matching your VADL should work. If you are new to the state or military you can talk to the FFL about what other forms of ID are acceptable.

Once you get the CHP, it counts as a form of ID so I usually show my VADL and CHP. Shopping for and researching a new firearm purchase is one of the most fun things to do. It can be a bit overwhelming with all the good choices out there but learning about all the different aspects is fun. This forum is a great place to ask questions and get peoples "opinions" take all with a grain of salt. :) The selecting a handgun thread is a good place to start reading and posting questions. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?82-Selecting-a-Handgun

Read up a bit first and use the search function to see if people have already talked about the gun(s) you are interested in. If you don't some users become snarky. :)

Thomasmcnlt6

Usually a state drivers license is #1 and a utility bill with your name on it and your address, matching your VADL should work. If you are new to the state or military you can talk to the FFL about what other forms of ID are acceptable.

I'm guessing a passport would be fine as well

tdbarge

FFL?
CC?
And how would I possess without buying?

Federal Firearms License. Basically someone who is licensed to sell firearms. Think gunshop. The good ones are around here are NOVA Armament in Herndon, VA Arms, and Guns & Ammo both in Manassas, those are my favorites anyway, there's a few others in the area.

CC = concealed carry

Possess without buying: via gift, etc etc

Welcome to OCDO! There are quite a few of us here in the northern extremities of the state ;)

Last edited:

t33j

Federal Firearms License. Basically someone who is licensed to sell firearms. Think gunshop. The good ones are around here are NOVA Armament in Herndon, VA Arms, and Guns & Ammo both in Manassas, those are my favorites anyway, there's a few others in the area.

CC = concealed carry

Possess without buying from FFL: private sale - the federal government can't regulate intrastate commerce... supposedly. Buying a handgun from a private seller is very common, and I'd venture to say how most 18-20 year old OCers obtain their first guns. Many people over 21 still get their guns via private sale. http://www.vaguntrader.com as an example.
Thomasmcnlt6 said:

Requiring a permit for something enumerated in the Bill of Rights is a bit paradoxical no?

Last edited:

VApatriot

I would highly recommend getting a copy of The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide http://www.gunlaws.com/vgog.htm. It covers all of the guns laws in Virginia that you need to know, as well as a few of the Federal gun laws that affect us, and it is written so that it is easy to understand. There might be one or two laws that have changed since the last edition was published, but most of the important information should be current. It should be pretty easy to find for sale online, and you can also get a copy at many Virginia gun shops and gun shows.

TFred

Here's a pretty thorough thread on the ID requirements:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?69501-IDs-accepted-to-purchase-firearm

Virginia code cites a passport as an acceptable ID, but I really don't understand why. US Passports do not have an address, and since the issuer is the US State Department, they don't fall into the primary ID category. As User noted later in that thread, the Virginia statute is poorly written. Very.

TFred

Thomasmcnlt6

Here's a pretty thorough thread on the ID requirements:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?69501-IDs-accepted-to-purchase-firearm

Virginia code cites a passport as an acceptable ID, but I really don't understand why. US Passports do not have an address, and since the issuer is the US State Department, they don't fall into the primary ID category. As User noted later in that thread, the Virginia statute is poorly written. Very.

TFred

Yeah, I read it thanks.
What are the rules on motorcycles? Do they qualify as vehicles?
And when somebody is arrested for carrying a concealed handgun, do they not have a CHP?

MSC 45ACP

I would highly recommend getting a copy of The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide http://www.gunlaws.com/vgog.htm. It covers all of the guns laws in Virginia that you need to know, as well as a few of the Federal gun laws that affect us, and it is written so that it is easy to understand. There might be one or two laws that have changed since the last edition was published, but most of the important information should be current. It should be pretty easy to find for sale online, and you can also get a copy at many Virginia gun shops and gun shows.

+1!!! (I agree wholeheartedly)

I have a well-worn copy of this book and reference it quite often. I carry it with me everywhere I go, too! You may also want to ask Ed for some of his "OC CARDS" {Ed, how about you PM this person and tell them how you work the card deal, please :) } I got my copy at a gun show, but I've seen it in most gun shops I've visited. I've considered buying a couple copies to donate to my County libraries.