• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no one even notices

Billy D

I read just about every post on here, I like the true stories of people open carrying, and I find that in most cases "people dont notice", I think that so many people have stuff on thier belt that a gun on the hip would just blend into the crowd. So many people have cell phone holders, and many of those are "smart phones" that are bigger.
I often "look" for people open carrying while im out and about doing my business, and very rarely see anyone open carrying, of those few people, I can see why no one would notice. You have a 50/50 chance of being on the right side, and even then most pistols/holsters are black and blend in with the persons clothing.
I read the stories of people open carrying for the first time and how nervous they are then they realize that no one even noticed, well it's no wonder. I consider myself pretty aware, I see alot of things most people wouldnt, I look around, always moving my head, I have caught the attention of many security people just becuase I have "that look", im aware. Maybe thety think Im scoping out the joint but im simply just paying attention to my surroundings.
Anyways to sum it up I think 90% of the time you open carry no one sees the gun and those that do assume your a cop.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Anyways to sum it up I think 90% of the time you open carry no one sees the gun and those that do assume your a cop.

A part of the reason the OC "movement" caught on was to do away with that sort of thinking.

You may or may not want to be part of the "movement" to normalize the open carrying of handguns for lawful self defernse but you are each and every time you do carry openly.

Unless folks think that Santa has joined the force as an undercover cop there is no way anybody is going to think I'm on the force. Yes, sometimes I use humor and tell folks that I need to protect all the toys from the bad people, but most of the time I'd rather bore them with an explanation of how my being old and physically handicapped makes me vulnerable. When I get asked just how many times I've been mugged I smile and ask them how many muggers they think are willing to take a chance against an old guy with a gun? They slowly smile as understanding washes over them like the incoming tide.

stay safe.

Billy D

A part of the reason the OC "movement" caught on was to do away with that sort of thinking.

You may or may not want to be part of the "movement" to normalize the open carrying of handguns for lawful self defernse but you are each and every time you do carry openly.

stay safe.

Im all for OC, thats why Im here, I dont OC myself.. yet, but in time, until then people that DO oc have my utmost respect and support... im just saying the average joe citizen just doent notice when someone is oc'ing. Call it tunnel vision, too wrapped up in thought, busy with otehr things on thier mind, but I prefer to be aware. I see all.. or at least try to.

carry for myself

it is very seldom that people notice or make a fuss. i took my car for an inspection today at VIP. only the manager noticed my glock and wanted to know "9mm or .40" haha i told him .40 and swapped gun stories. got my sticker and had no issues. most people are too pre-occupied with their own lives to notice. :)

RPGamingGirl

This has been my experience too; when i carry, no one seems to see it at all. My handgun doesn't exactly look like a phone on my hip, but i think i'm so nondescript otherwise that i blend into the scenery. And i don't think i would ever be mistaken for an off-duty LEO either.

My husband is a bit different; he's a big guy, much less the type to blend into a crowd. Sometimes he gets comments, and once he was stopped and questioned by a manager in Wal-Mart. Probably 80% of the time no one seems to notice him either, though. The ones that do will occasionally do something like glance at his holster and then change checkout lines, but that's about it, if they react at all.

DocWalker

I agree that people just don't notice or those that do don't care, here in Idaho it is more a norm than say Chicago. I have been asked if I was a cop a bunch and the TA gas station tried to give me free coffee as it is their local policy to give the popo free java. I laughed and paid for my coffee and told them I used to be a corrections officer and federal security officer but I'm just a retired military guy and paramedic now. I guess it is because I wear dress pants, shirt and tie and carry a black and nickle Tauras 24/7 40 cal in a black leather holster (It looks like police issue). The only people that seem to notice are the people that stop in Boise that are from Oregon or California. It freaks them out....lol