• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1,000+ Ex and Current Green Berets Announce Pro-Second Amendment Statement

ODA 226

Many of my Special Forces Brothers risked their careers, their families and themselves when they drafted and signed this statement. I signed also.

Press Release

Professional Soldiers Announces Second Amendment Statement

"Protecting the Second Amendment – Why all Americans Should Be Concerned"

Over 1000 Current and Retired "Green Berets" Sign Statement Regarding the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States Professional Soldiers.com today has released a statement signed by over one thousand current and retired United States Army Special Forces Soldiers (aka the "Green Berets") concerning the recent events and pertaining to the possible banning of certain firearms. The statement addresses many aspects of the topic, offering historical correlations as well as potential solutions, among other subjects.

For release: (29 Jan/ 0900 Pacific Standard Time)

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40772

Last edited:

sharkey

I enjoyed this letter.

I'd like to see it sent to MSM opinion pages, they'd need a whole spread for all of the signatures though.

Robin47

Many of my Special Forces Brothers risked their careers, their families and themselves when they drafted and signed this statement. I signed also.

Press Release

Professional Soldiers Announces Second Amendment Statement

"Protecting the Second Amendment – Why all Americans Should Be Concerned"

Over 1000 Current and Retired "Green Berets" Sign Statement Regarding the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States Professional Soldiers.com today has released a statement signed by over one thousand current and retired United States Army Special Forces Soldiers (aka the "Green Berets") concerning the recent events and pertaining to the possible banning of certain firearms. The statement addresses many aspects of the topic, offering historical correlations as well as potential solutions, among other subjects.

For release: (29 Jan/ 0900 Pacific Standard Time)

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40772

That's good to hear, There are 17 Sheriffs in Northern California who are not going along
with more gun control either. And many other states to.

Check out the list !

http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-guns-rights/

Robin47 :)

Last edited:

shastadude17

I thought this was great until I got to "5. Recent social psychology research clearly indicates that there is a direct relationship between gratuitously violent movies/video games and desensitization to real violence and increased aggressive behavior particularly in children and young adults (See Nicholas L. Carnagey, et al. 2007. “The effect of video game violence on physiological desensitization to real-life violence” and the references therein. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 43:489-496). Therefore, we strongly recommend that gratuitous violence in movies and video games be discouraged. War and war-like behavior should not be glorified. Hollywood and video game producers are exploiting something they know nothing about. General Sherman famously said “War is Hell!” Leave war to the Professionals. War is not a game and should not be "sold" as entertainment to our children."

Pretty stupid to talk about freedom and gun rights, and then regurgitate some liberal crap about video games being bad. Video games have already been regulated for years.

Aknazer

I thought this was great until I got to "5. Recent social psychology research clearly indicates that there is a direct relationship between gratuitously violent movies/video games and desensitization to real violence and increased aggressive behavior particularly in children and young adults (See Nicholas L. Carnagey, et al. 2007. “The effect of video game violence on physiological desensitization to real-life violence” and the references therein. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 43:489-496). Therefore, we strongly recommend that gratuitous violence in movies and video games be discouraged. War and war-like behavior should not be glorified. Hollywood and video game producers are exploiting something they know nothing about. General Sherman famously said “War is Hell!” Leave war to the Professionals. War is not a game and should not be "sold" as entertainment to our children."

Pretty stupid to talk about freedom and gun rights, and then regurgitate some liberal crap about video games being bad. Video games have already been regulated for years.

Video games aren't regulated by the government as far as I know. I know that the console makers voluntarily regulate the stuff (hence why you never see any AO (adults only) games), but as seen in the Cali case, the government can't even say "you can't sell Mature games to minors" as it is viewed as an infringement upon the First Amendment. And while I don't fully agree with this statement, it does bring up the bigger point that parents need to actually be parents and know what their kids are doing/playing and watch them to make sure that it isn't leading them down an improper path (you know, parents need to actually be parents).

eye95

There is nothing wrong with pointing out research that links use of violent media resulting in increased violent behavior.

The problem comes in if the feds try to regulate them as a result of the study. The information should be put out there so that parents can make informed decisions about the environment in which they want their children to develop emotionally and morally.

We-the-People

There is nothing wrong with pointing out research that links use of violent media resulting in increased violent behavior.

The problem comes in if the feds try to regulate them as a result of the study. The information should be put out there so that parents can make informed decisions about the environment in which they want their children to develop emotionally and morally.

+2

shastadude17

(you know, parents need to actually be parents).

It's this simple... I'm not suggesting you pre-order GTA 5 for your 2nd grader, but I see about as much of a correlation between violent games/movies and violent behavior as I do with guns and crime. Blaming video games and Hollywood for the actions of someone who is mentally ill or just pissed off is a cop out, just like blaming the guns. If you want to blame something, blame your legislators for legislating you out of the right to defend yourself in gun free zones. Blame the individuals who commit these heinous acts. Hell, I guess you can even blame the immediate family members who saw the warning signs and failed to take action. Get real and stop being hypocrites guys and gals...we're all smart people who have the right to speak our opinions, even when we don't always agree, but let's catch ourselves before we fall into the trap of the double standard...

>Gets mad at people for blaming inanimate objects for violent and unpredictable human behavior
>Blames other inanimate objects for violent and unpredictable human behavior

ODA 226

It's this simple... I'm not suggesting you pre-order GTA 5 for your 2nd grader, but I see about as much of a correlation between violent games/movies and violent behavior as I do with guns and crime. Blaming video games and Hollywood for the actions of someone who is mentally ill or just pissed off is a cop out, just like blaming the guns. If you want to blame something, blame your legislators for legislating you out of the right to defend yourself in gun free zones. Blame the individuals who commit these heinous acts. Hell, I guess you can even blame the immediate family members who saw the warning signs and failed to take action. Get real and stop being hypocrites guys and gals...we're all smart people who have the right to speak our opinions, even when we don't always agree, but let's catch ourselves before we fall into the trap of the double standard...

>Gets mad at people for blaming inanimate objects for violent and unpredictable human behavior
>Blames other inanimate objects for violent and unpredictable human behavior

None of us are "blaming" video games or Hollywood. All we suggested was that gratuitus violence should not be encouraged.

Last edited:

ODA 226

The information should be put out there so that parents can make informed decisions about the environment in which they want their children to develop emotionally and morally.

And this was exactly what we meant by putting this in the letter. We don't advocate censorship or goverment action...only making parents aware of gratuitous violence so THEY can make educated decisions on material that THEIR children are exposed to.

beebobby

The fact that these exact same video games and movie are available worldwide would suggest that something other than video games and movies might be responsible.

davidmcbeth

Banned
No of us are "blaming" video games or Hollywood. All we suggested was that gratuitus violence should not be encouraged.

Most folks don't mind seeing be-headings, 100 rds being put into a bad guy, etc.

I like Japanese movies .. "need another bucket of blood here!" splash!

I encourage the movie makers to continue to show violence in movies ...

Everyone should watch the movie Azumi .... a recommended one by me.

What you want all violence to be like the A-Team TV series .. 1000s of rounds, no injuries? That's on the other end of the spectrum ...

ODA 226

Most folks don't mind seeing be-headings, 100 rds being put into a bad guy, etc.

I like Japanese movies .. "need another bucket of blood here!" splash!

I encourage the movie makers to continue to show violence in movies ...

Everyone should watch the movie Azumi .... a recommended one by me.

What you want all violence to be like the A-Team TV series .. 1000s of rounds, no injuries? That's on the other end of the spectrum ...

I had two guys that I worked with in Iraq get their heads sawn off on the Internet back in 2004. It's not so funny when you know someone to whom it happened.

Last edited:

zack991

The fact that these exact same video games and movie are available worldwide would suggest that something other than video games and movies might be responsible.

Yet too many parents who let extremely violent movies and video games to babysit their kids for them when the kid is certainly not mature enough to handle the entertainment much less understand it. There is certainly something to it being why kids act out the way they do today. Simply it is piss poor parenting that allows kids to think this is normal and they certainly can't tell the difference from what is real and what is fake.

Last edited: