• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident to NH, lamenting the 5X raise in concealed carry licensing costs

ShooterMcGavin

I have had a NH non-resident license to conceal carry in the past, but to renew it now is $100 instead of the previous $20!!! I have family there and I don't visit often, but $100 is a lot for me these days. I expect that I will probably be traveling in cars when I'm there (duh). I have no problem carrying openly, but the loaded magazine in a car question does not seem to be tested and clarified in NH. Upon entering or exiting a vehicle during my stay, I am not yet sure if I am willing to unholster, concern myself with a possible brandishing charge while handling my firearm in public, and worry about bullet setback every time I reload my semi-auto sidearm. Then, there are the concerns with avoiding being within 1,000 feet of school property without a concealed carry license.

I open carry all the time in my home state but I am seriously considering leaving my gun home for my trip. The difficulty in remaining safe and lawful is really upsetting.

nhsig220

It is what it is. Either deal with it or don't. Bitching about it here does no good what so ever. Just leave it home.....

tattedupboy

That's why I didn't renew mine when it expired. Besides, my state's permit is honored there anyway, so I'm not adversely affected by it at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ldsgeek

Two things come to mind, neither of which is truly helpful to you unfortunately.

First, there have been some attempts to put the fee back to $20 for non-residents, but even if they can get it through the House and Senate our current governor never met a fee she didn't like.

Second, be glad they don't live south of the border in the People Republic of Massachusetts. There the fee for non-resident is $100 per YEAR, with up to a six month wait for the first one to be issued, should they decide you are worthy.

ShooterMcGavin

Two things come to mind, neither of which is truly helpful to you unfortunately.

First, there have been some attempts to put the fee back to $20 for non-residents, but even if they can get it through the House and Senate our current governor never met a fee she didn't like.

Second, be glad they don't live south of the border in the People Republic of Massachusetts. There the fee for non-resident is $100 per YEAR, with up to a six month wait for the first one to be issued, should they decide you are worthy.
Thanks lds. I have seen the bill to return the non-resident fee to $20. It almost seems too good to be true :) I feel that the "Live Free or Die" state should allow Constitutional Carry or lose the misleading motto.

On your second point, I am very glad that I can mostly avoid dealing with Mass.

doobie

Thanks lds. I have seen the bill to return the non-resident fee to $20. It almost seems too good to be true :) I feel that the "Live Free or Die" state should allow Constitutional Carry or lose the misleading motto.

On your second point, I am very glad that I can mostly avoid dealing with Mass.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of liberals moving here....it was our last governor who was famous for saying, "Live free or die, it's just a silly slogan."