• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crabtree Valley Mall - Shots fired

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"No one allowed out of the mall." ??

I have to wonder by what authority. Such action would seem to be highly illegal IMHO.

solus

well, after hundreds of shoppers were evacuated by police and directed across the street to the Marriott hotel where they were left outside for hours in 90+ 75% humidity and as the news reported casually...told they couldn't leave.

video showing large black man dancing has the 'sounds' everyone excited about and are calling 'sounds of gunfire'
http://abc11.com/news/police-no-suspects-in-custody-after-crabtree-lockdown/1468724/

mall cams not released

at least a hundred LEs, armed to the hilt w/vests and long rifles, swarmed the mall have not found any casings or other evidence of a shooting.

what i find interesting the entire mall's 'campus police' are BLET accredited sworn officers with arrest powers and normally armed w/minimum sidearms. ND by one of those?

ipse

solus

712905-15f28.jpg

712907-33c4e.jpg

good Samaritan showed up dressed in camo w/his long rifle to 'help police' during the mall situation...

seems the police didn't want his help...what so ever as shown in the photo...

ipse

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

what i find interesting the entire mall's 'campus police' are BLET accredited sworn officers with arrest powers and normally armed w/minimum sidearms. ND by one of those?

ipse
(An) ND by one of those = singular shot. There were multiple sounds heard.

Could it have been that someone threw firecrackers or used an amplified recording to simulate the sound of gunfire?

solus

(An) ND by one of those = singular shot. There were multiple sounds heard.

Could it have been that someone threw firecrackers or used an amplified recording to simulate the sound of gunfire?
the video only presents one sound not multiple

ipse

WalkingWolf

the video only presents one sound not multiple

ipse

Well there would be damage somewhere in the mall from gunshots, nothing has been said about property damage. Seems that LE may have over reacted to either fireworks or sound system.

My problem is with muzzle sweeping hundreds of people, which normally bring out the Fudds, and forcing people into the heat, and humidity for hours. I do not believe they had the authority to do that. But if they did there were better options.

Va_Nemo

good Samaritan showed up dressed in camo w/his long rifle to 'help police' during the mall situation...

ipse

Source of article, info, pics? Citation please.

Va_Nemo

solus

Source of article, info, pics? Citation please.

Va_Nemo

uh, hummm, did you miss post five's fotos i posted.

seems ABC11 (link in my preceding post on the initial subject matter) changed their story and deleted the commentary on camo dressed LG carrying individual who showed up to assist the police.

however, al gore's invention is alive and well and several keystrokes later, lo and behold: http://wncn.com/2016/08/13/armed-ma...tained-at-crabtree-valley-mall-witnesses-say/

ipse

WalkingWolf

Saw the video of the gun shot sound. :lol: That clearly was something banged, or dropped. I suspect someone kicked one of the vending machines.

Good lord, these people should stay away from trains, and docks. Shame on Raleigh police for their over reaction.

solus

wncn evening news stated the police cannot find any evidence of shots fired and have no idea what caused the loud noise mistaken by some as a gun shot.

eight injuried during chaotic departure by patrons..
ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

wncn evening news stated the police cannot find any evidence of shots fired and have no idea what caused the loud noise mistaken by some as a gun shot.

ipse

I am pretty sure it was one of the vending machines. I have heard that sound before when people get ticked, and kick them. That was not the crack of a small bore pistol, or the boom of a larger bore pistol, not even close. That was a thud.

Considering they found no victims, no property damage, they look like Keystone Kops. Until a shooting is confirmed, they do not need 100 officers, and probably not even if there was an actual shooting. Poor use of resources, danger to civilians in the hot afternoon heat, plus real criminals will probably pick up on this.

Want to rob a bank? Have somebody go kick a vending machine in the mall, no police left to respond to a bank alarm.

solus

while authorities are still extolling no evidence of shots fired exists, WRAL news today states, quote: Sources told WRAL News that there appeared to be two bullet holes in the ceiling inside the mall.
Antonio Richardson said he was standing at the entrance of Casanova, a clothing store near the mall food court, when he saw two men who appeared to be in their early 20s arguing. As he was running away, he says he heard as many as four shots in all. As police went store to store to clear the mall, shoppers waited in the hot sun for permission to leave and access to their cars. unquote
http://www.wral.com/police-gunshots-fired-in-crabtree-valley-mall-no-suspects-in-custody/15926525/

WITN's perspective, quote: William Byland, the assistant principal at Havelock High School, tells WITN he was inside the mall at the Gap store with his wife when he heard a "popping sound" this afternoon.
"We were in Gap standing in line," Byland says. "I heard a popping sound and then a sound like heavy wet cardboard hitting the ground on the floor beneath us. unquote.
http://www.witn.com/content/news/Ra...ed-inside-Crabtree-Valley-Mall-390082812.html

thinking out loud for a moment ~ could this have been a staged training scenario as the nice LEs arrived rather quickly and dressed ~ just thinking out loud mind you!!

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No shell casings found?

Aaah, revolvers don't spit out empty shell casings the last time I checked.

solus

quote: On Monday, ABC11 spoke with a Fayetteville man who was at Crabtree on Saturday and said he saw a man with a gun. Investigators have interviewed him. He said they told him that the gunman he and others saw was a man with a conceal-carry permit who pulled his weapon after hearing the noises. It appeared police may have found the man with a gun and talked to him. unquote.

http://abc11.com/news/questions-remain-after-weekend-chaos-at-crabtree/1469672/

now that's what i would do in a mall, hear noise(s), draw my firearm, and....?

but the nice investigating LEs didn't see said individual w/drawn firearm on the cams which have been described and seeing every square inch of the interior.

the smell from crabtree mall is getting strong...

ipse

MontanaResident

ipse

Psych ward for these "good Samaritans". Honestly, is there a single floating and functioning brain cell in the vast gassiest space between his ears? :uhoh: