• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do Girls Need Guns?

SavageOne

A good interview from MSN. I have to admit I'm not crazy about the author's response of "like the good Old West" when referring to OC in AZ, but I think her heart is the right place.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/just-dreaming/article.aspx?cp-documentid=25767843&GT1=32023

Do Girls Need Guns?
A controversial new book says every woman in America should own a gun.

By Abigail Pesta

If self-defense expert Paxton Quigley had her way, every woman would be toting a gun around like the latest It bag or iThing. Why? Handguns are the best way for women to protect themselves from violence and rape, says Quigley, who has taught more than 7,000 women how to pull the trigger.

.................................--Please Note--
--Edited by Moderator--

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Sonora Rebel

What makes Ms. Quigly an expert? Just 'cause she wrote a book?

Q: Forty states allow people to carry concealed weapons, and a few towns let you carry a gun openly, yes?

A: Yes. I once went to Paulden, Arizona, where you can "open carry." You could go to the market, or gas up, wearing your holster. It felt like the good old Wild West. It was kind of a neat feeling.

No! 37 states are 'Shall Issue. 3 States are no-permit Constitutional Carry. 2 States are Discretionary Issue. A 'few towns'? LOL! Ohhh... she went to Paulden! AZ has been OC (by Constitution) since statehood in 1912. VT and AK also. I s'pose this is what passes for a gun expert in Manhatten tho.

Women should carry guns for the same reason as men. Self-defense. That's what the 2A was intended for.

Dreamer

Don't go too hard on Ms. Quigley. Shes done a LOT of very good work reaching out to women with regards to their RKBA, and has been one of main forces behind the growing popularity of armed self defense of women...

She did sort of drop the ball on the OC thing though... Heck, most of the Eastern States are OC--NC, VA, PA, WV, VT, NH. I imagine her lack of knowledge about OC is due partially because:

1) she's a woman, and the gun industry and self-defense industry have primarily been marketing CC to women for the last decades. Plus, many women are "fashion conscious" and the idea of OC is just a little too "confrontational" for them,

2) She lives in CA... nuff sed...

3) the VAST majority of other (male and female) professional self defense instructors in the US are CC advocates, and because of their self-interest, they tend to talk ONLY about CC options, and either ignore, or outright badmouth the idea of defensive OC. She just needs to get out more and find some new friends... ;)

I think the Owners of OCDO should issue her a formal invitation to join our fine forum, so she can learn about OC, and it's deterrent factors. The world needs more strong, se;f-confident OCing women! Let's see if we can get her on-board.

An OC endorsement from Paxton Quigley would be a HUGE feather in our cap!!!

HvyMtl

"Do girls need guns?"

Yes.

Boys, too.

Here you have a not poorly, but uninformed journalist. It showed in the article. But, it was not bad.

Q: You believe that guns prevent rape. But what if the rapist has a gun, too?

A: Then you better be the first to shoot. You have to know you will shoot. If you don't truly believe you can shoot, then you shouldn't have a gun.

Hmm. Good answer.

Ruby

Ms. Quigley is about Ms. Quigley and selling her books just as Masad Ayoob is about Masad Ayoob and selling his books. I've read them both and I am not impressed. I've learned more from my firearms instructor and this forum than I have from either one of them.

And yes, I carry for the same reason a man does, for self defense. And I do my best to educate other women to protect themselves.

Dreamer

Ms. Quigley is about Ms. Quigley and selling her books just as Masad Ayoob is about Masad Ayoob and selling his books. I've read them both and I am not impressed. I've learned more from my firearms instructor and this forum than I have from either one of them.

I agree with you on ALL counts, but I think that Ms. Quigley has been very effective as a "gateway" for many women who would have otherwise never considered a handgun for self-defense, and in THAT capacity, I think she deserves praise.

That first step is the most difficult for MANY people. Ms. Quigley is accessible, presents well, is articulate, and doesn't come across as some sort of man-hating militant femi-nazi, and that makes her message much more accessible for many women who would otherwise never consider owning, carrying or using a firearm.

Once someone like Ms. Quigley "sets the hook", I think it's safe to say that any reasonable person would seek out proper, face-to-face instruction in self-defense, and would do their own research...

Ruby

I agree with you on ALL counts, but I think that Ms. Quigley has been very effective as a "gateway" for many women who would have otherwise never considered a handgun for self-defense, and in THAT capacity, I think she deserves praise.

That first step is the most difficult for MANY people. Ms. Quigley is accessible, presents well, is articulate, and doesn't come across as some sort of man-hating militant femi-nazi, and that makes her message much more accessible for many women who would otherwise never consider owning, carrying or using a firearm.

Once someone like Ms. Quigley "sets the hook", I think it's safe to say that any reasonable person would seek out proper, face-to-face instruction in self-defense, and would do their own research...

I agree.

nobama

I get tired of the left and people who dont know any better asking if we really need something. Its none of their DAMN business!!!. If I need it or not, but if I want it I WILL get it. You can ask that question all day long to anybody about anything. I used to fall for that BS, not anymore.

GWbiker

Do Girls need guns? Damn right they do for personal protection. HOWEVER today's girls are being brain washed in College into believing all guns are bad, or evil instruments of death that should be banned.

Many of my neighbors are UOA students who are absolutely scared of the mere sight of a gun.

Tribunal Power

Women need guns for personal protection more than men do, because they are more common targets. In general, women don't put up fights when confronted bt assailants. They are physically smaller and generally more timid. Furthermore, it goes without saying that if a rapist is on the loose, guys are generally not the targets.

There's a lot of bad news out there for ladies these days. However, while I believe that it is a necessity for a woman to carry, I also believe that a woman must be very, very ready for all kinds of bullsh*t from guys who act stupid because she's different. I also believe it would be irresponsible and dangerous for a women to OC if she is not capable of fighting off a foe while the gun is holstered. OCing while not knowing how to defend your gun can be a quick ticket to handing your attacker a firearm. Since women are targeted more commonly, this is even more important for them. I say this for men also, but if one cannot actively defend his/her weapon, one should consider CCing.

Also, I couldn't agree more on the statement quoted above about being ready to fire. If you are afraid or incabable of using a weapon, do not carry the weapon.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Quigley has the same bias as many gun owners that "carry" means "concealed carry". Recognize that bias, and work from there.

This article, however, is the "journalist's" impressions. It is the writer, not Quigley, asking why women need to carry. Quigley maintains, and has for a long time, all should carry. The writer asserts the new book is controversial, with nothing to back up that assertion.

In all, I think Quigley answers the questions factually and attempts, albeit mildly, to rebut the assertions the writer espouses. The "wild west" comment is also typical of that "concealed only" mentality, but note she also said "It was kind of a neat feeling." I took that to mean she had simply never thought of it before and had no frame of reference from which to voice her exhilaration with exercising that right openly.

SFCRetired

One dumb question here: With all the knowledgeable women on this forum, why don't either one of you write a book or all of you collaborate on a book?

I do what I can to preach armed self-defense to women, but I'm a man; what do I know? I refer women to "TheCorneredCat" website, but there is still something lacking. This subject needs a knowledgeable, well-informed woman's touch. I firmly believe that a woman is far more likely to listen to another woman than she is to listen to a man.

For what it is worth, GWBiker, the brainwashing starts when the child enters public school and continues on through college.

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
For what it is worth, GWBiker, the brainwashing starts when the child enters public school and continues on through college.

I agree 100%. That is why my young daughters have been exposed to guns their entire lives, learning safety, shooting and the consequences of shooting something. I know that they are already sharing their experiences with other children and teaching them that guns don't kill people. People kill people.

We just had this go through the Wisconsin threads, and I agree that women need guns just as men do. Whether it is OCing or CCing we all need to know how to defend ourselves and our families. The police respond after a situation has unfolded, while the carrying person can deal with the situation at hand.

MamaLiberty

One dumb question here: With all the knowledgeable women on this forum, why don't either one of you write a book or all of you collaborate on a book?

I HAVE written a book - for what it's worth. It was written as a supplement to my firearm/self defense classes, and I am still working to improve it for a stand alone volume. At this point the supplemental is available free to ANYONE who will send me their email in PM. It will come as a pdf file. All I ask is that the reader send me their comments, suggestions and any questions. The more feedback I get on it, the better the stand alone book will be.

The first chapter is the story of the man I had to shoot to save my life. I encourage everyone to share that booklet with every woman in their lives.

Last edited:

XD40coyote

Anyone can write a book, but finding a big name publisher to publish and promote it heavily ain't always easy street.

In any event I have 2 I'd like to write:

The Hay Set ( trapping manual- but needs much more field time so I can analize it 73 different ways and bore most trappers to sleep LOL)

Growing up Weird ( autobiographical of my oddball childhood and into my college years- aspergers books seem to be hot right now)

A woman and guns book with a slightly different way of things than Paxton Quigley- would be nice to see, but how "different" or "better" would/could it be? If I wrote it, would anyone notice? LOL

XD40coyote

Women need guns for personal protection more than men do, because they are more common targets. In general, women don't put up fights when confronted bt assailants. They are physically smaller and generally more timid. Furthermore, it goes without saying that if a rapist is on the loose, guys are generally not the targets.

There's a lot of bad news out there for ladies these days. However, while I believe that it is a necessity for a woman to carry, I also believe that a woman must be very, very ready for all kinds of bullsh*t from guys who act stupid because she's different. I also believe it would be irresponsible and dangerous for a women to OC if she is not capable of fighting off a foe while the gun is holstered. OCing while not knowing how to defend your gun can be a quick ticket to handing your attacker a firearm. Since women are targeted more commonly, this is even more important for them. I say this for men also, but if one cannot actively defend his/her weapon, one should consider CCing.

Also, I couldn't agree more on the statement quoted above about being ready to fire. If you are afraid or incabable of using a weapon, do not carry the weapon.

A determined man will ALWAYS be stronger than a woman, even if she gets retention training. I don't know stats on lone female LEO's having to fend off an attempted gun grab by a man- anyone? How often do female LEO's practice retention training after graduating the academy? What is the average holster retention level of uniformed LEOs, all across the USA?

Now whenever I discuss this type thing with this buddy of mine, he always tells me that I doubt myself, that I would be a savage beast if attacked, and am stronger than most women( he has known me since I was 19 and I am now 38). I don't refute that last bit at all, I am all farmgirl, but that still doesn't make me stronger than the average male.