• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just ordered Gun #2!

Bellum_Intus

Here's some more information on Duracoat.

The reason I'm looking into it is I have a couple of metal pieces at my folk's house that are outside and exposed to the elements. They keep rusting, so it's time to sandblast them again, only this time I'm going to use Duracoat.

I swear by the stuff.. EXCELLENT coating for new and old firearms. remember its all in the prep.. I spent 4/5 hours prepping the shotgun before spraying, and didn't fire it for about 20 days after.

--Rob

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have the same 10/22, except mine has a stainless barrel (discintinued). Amazing little rifle!

--Rob

I got a Henry lever action for cheap shooting but I haven't sighted it in yet ... I've had it for only 15 years...the 10/22 is also a fun little rifle..

You can get some AR's chambered in 22 too ... but I think a 10/22 would be better

mobiushky

I got a Henry lever action for cheap shooting but I haven't sighted it in yet ... I've had it for only 15 years...the 10/22 is also a fun little rifle..

You can get some AR's chambered in 22 too ... but I think a 10/22 would be better

My only beef with the AR's in .22 is the price. I looked at the Mossberg M422. It's dirt cheap and 100% plastic. Ok, maybe 90% plastic. But the point is, it's apparently a real pain to clean. Oh and the upper/lower is all one piece. So if you want a more realistic AR that functions like a real one, it's $500+ from what I've seen. Which is a lot to pay for a .22 plinker. That's not to knock them. I'm just saying you can get your little 10/22 to be pretty darn close to a tactical rifle for a whole lot less. And for a 9 yr old, less it better. LOL.

Hamans-gallows

I finally got my order in for our 2nd gun. We wanted to get something everyone in the family could "play" with if you will. So I ordered a Ruger SR22PB. It's a lot like the Walther P22, but with a few things I liked more. Should be able to pick it up next week. The kids are gonna love this little pistol.

Oh and I'm borrowing a friends Ruger 10/22 for the summer. So we're gonna have some plinking fun in a couple weeks.

I live right close to you. If you ever want to annoy your neighbors by walking your neighborhood, I'll be glad to join you.

mobiushky

It's a boy! LOL no wait... It's here!

My Glock has a new baby brother! I just got my SR22PB tonight. It's a tiny little thing! LOL! I LOVE it already. Unfortunately, it will be 2 weeks now before I can shoot it...:banghead:

I'll post some pics later. The is a very sturdy little pistol. Looking forward to having the kids shoot it.

Hey Hamans. I don't really do a lot of walking around the neighborhood. Not because I won't carry, just because I'm lazy and my wife is not really able to get out much right now. So I'm a bit of a home body these days. But if I ever get up the desire, I'll let you know.

mobiushky

Size wise it's actually really close to the Glock 19. It's about the same height as the Glock without the magazine in it. It's about 3/4" shorter along the slide/barrel. But it's a good 1/4" thinner. So it feels small. IT's listed at 17.5 oz empty compared to the Glock at 20.99 oz empty. But really, that 3.5 oz is not much to the hand. The Glock is heavier loaded, but they are remarkably close in weight.

Man, I wish I had a range in my house right now.

mobiushky

Yesterday got even better! I got a phone call from DougCo Sheriff. My CHP is ready and I just need to pick it up. So now I'm legal no matter where I go in CO! Not that I'll be rushing to Denver now.

mwaterous

Very nice. I'm thinking of putting aside the money I was going to use to buy 500 rounds of .40SW and instead buying one of those and 500 rounds of 22!! hah. Funny how that works...

She is a pretty lookin plinker though. How is the takedown on it, the barrel is part of the frame if I recall correctly?

GTShooter

Post up some reviews when you get to use it. A friend of mine is thinking of picking up the one of those.

mobiushky

Very nice. I'm thinking of putting aside the money I was going to use to buy 500 rounds of .40SW and instead buying one of those and 500 rounds of 22!! hah. Funny how that works...

She is a pretty lookin plinker though. How is the takedown on it, the barrel is part of the frame if I recall correctly?

Take down is really simple. There is a take down lever in the trigger guard just in front of the trigger. Flip that down and you draw the slide all the way back. It comes off the top and then just slide it forward to clear the barrel. The recoil spring is not captive, but it's really easy to handle. The barrel is attached to the frame, but it's not exactly "part" of the frame. IT's held to the frame by a hex screw that is accessible from the top of the trigger guard. You can unscrew that and remove the barrel if you want. Which means there will be aftermarket barrels like some threaded. That's about it. Pretty similar to the Walther P22.

Post up some reviews when you get to use it. A friend of mine is thinking of picking up the one of those.

I will. I'll give you a first impressions. I love it. I looked at the Walther P22, but I don't like that the Walther has to have premium Ammo. And the Walther has a zinc alloy slide (read pot metal), which I hear has been cracking on some people. The Ruger has an aluminum alloy slide. Plus the Walther isn't made by Walther. It's actually made by Umarex.

It's very small in the hand. Physically it's not super small, but it's got a very small grip, which makes it feel tiny. I don't have huge hands, so that's ok. Even with the larger grip installed, it just feels small. I still get a good grip on it though, so that's not a problem. It's very well built. Feels very solid and sturdy. Most of the weight appears to be in the frame. I weighed it with the magazine full and it came to 1lb 2.75oz. My G19 full is 1lb 14.5oz. So the G19 only weighs 12 oz more. Which isn't a whole lot. I guess to sum it up, it feels good in the hand. Light and sturdy. But feels like a "play" gun, not a solid gun if that makes sense. I'm not saying it feels like a toy. Cause it doesn't. It feels like a gun to play around and have fun with.

The magazine does not seat like I expect. For instance. It's very tough to fail to seat the G19 magazine. If you don't seat it, it falls out. So you have to seat it or it won't stay in the gun. On the Ruger however, it's actually pretty easy to insert the magazine without fully seating it. And it will stay there. You really have to give it a good smack on the bottom to seat it fully. So that's good and bad. If forces you to "tap" the magazine every time you insert it. But then, if you forget, it won't seat properly. Just something I noticed.

Other than that, I'll have to shoot it. I am impressed by what you get for the money. I paid $310 on line, then added $40 for the FFL fee. So $350 all said and done. By comparison, the Walter P22 was $369.99 plus taxes and fees at Bass Pro. With the Ruger you get 2 grips (small and large), 2 magazines, and 2 mag base plates. I had to add the mag base plates and the large grip to make it feel right in my hand. I doubt that's an issue for kids. Plus you get a cheap soft sided pouch that zips up and the obligatory lock. Actually the lock is pretty nice. It's not a cable lock. IT's like a long master lock. I might use that for something else... LOL. The Walther only gives you one magazine and that's about it. Something to consider.

I'm not down on the Walther btw. I'm just more impressed with the Ruger for those P22 owners out there.

Last edited: