• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

May I OC my wife's gun?

Jack_Ketch

I did search, I just couldn't find an answer fitting the variables, or one that is recent.

She has her CCW and I have been told by my County's Sheriff that he will never award me a CCW (I know that in many gun-friendly counties the Sheriff will simply rubber stamp these forms) going back to an incident 20 years ago between my family and the (not yet then) Sheriff over a land deal... so nothing ever involving me (I got a DUI in college, that's it for my career as a criminal and that was many many moons ago). So for Xmas, my wife gave me a S&W M&P .40 full frame, but it was purchased in her name, not mine; again, to avoid going through the Sheriff (who I hope is out of office soon as he has been a pr**k to many people for many years and loves to flex his "muscle"). I intend to apply for a right to purchase license for a private sale between she and I, but as of this moment where do I stand?

And should SHTF in a bad, bad way, I'll carry however I see fit to protect myself and our two daughters (my wife can certainly handle herself). But barring that, I've considered that she CCW her Glock 26 in an ankle holster and "my" S&W in a hip holster so as to equip me assuming the need, but that is an extreme situation and an extremely unlikely one at that. "May I OC my wife's gun?" is my question.

And if this is asked and answered, please simply point me there. Thank y'all for your time.

REDFIVE48

Has been asked previously and I believe the standard line is, as long as you are legally allowed to possess a gun, you can OC. As for the gun you OC, ownership is not an issue as long as it's not stolen. As for the CHP, it's not discretionary like the PPP, so you may want to go ahead and apply for it and then if denied, you can appeal.

Last edited:

paintman40

I'm with REDFIVE48, apply for the CCP. If the sheriff denies the request, he has to have an official reason. I'd be interested to see if "I don't like him" would hold up.

NC-Heel

She can permanently loan you the gun. As long as you can legally possess it there are no problems. N.C. is a shall issue state. If your Sheriff denies you without cause then you just appeal him at the state level.

Last edited:

Jack_Ketch

Thanks y'all; I appreciate the information and I am now neck deep in the PDF of North Carolina's gun laws. I also went and applied for a purchase permit today. We'll see how it goes. If he can't give me a good reason why I can have neither a purchase permit or a CCW, but denies me anyway, then I'll just work my way up the hog, so to speak.

firedog

Thanks y'all; I appreciate the information and I am now neck deep in the PDF of North Carolina's gun laws. I also went and applied for a purchase permit today. We'll see how it goes. If he can't give me a good reason why I can have neither a purchase permit or a CCW, but denies me anyway, then I'll just work my way up the hog, so to speak.

Florida issues Non-resident CCW permits which has reciprocity in NC. Not exactly sure the procedures for non-residents but I think if you have a gun safety course under your belt and submit the application with finger print card you should be able to get one. You would have to do some more research on your own but it's just a thought.

However, I've recently read that NC is pushing the elimination of recognizing non-resident permits. I hope your legislators don't let that pass. I carry in NC all the time on my Florida Resident permit.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Last edited:

rotorhead

Florida issues Non-resident CCW permits which has reciprocity in NC. Not exactly sure the procedures for non-residents but I think if you have a gun safety course under your belt and submit the application with finger print card you should be able to get one. You would have to do some more research on your own but it's just a thought.

However, I've recently read that NC is pushing the elimination of recognizing non-resident permits. I hope your legislators don't let that pass. I carry in NC all the time on my Florida Resident permit.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Florida will also accept a DD-214 in place of approved gun safety training certificates, if you have one.

REDFIVE48

Don't think I would have bothered with a PPP, that one he can deny at his discretion (stupid law), the CHP is 'shall issue' so must have legal reason to deny. May have wasted your time.

Jack_Ketch

Don't think I would have bothered with a PPP, that one he can deny at his discretion (stupid law), the CHP is 'shall issue' so must have legal reason to deny. May have wasted your time.

$#!t

Now you tell me ;-)

Well, we'll just hasfta see how this all shakes out from here.

WalkingWolf

$#!t

Now you tell me ;-)

Well, we'll just hasfta see how this all shakes out from here.

Well~~~if you get the PPP without hassle you won't have a problem with the permit. It is not money wasted, until you get your privilege card you can use the PPP for long gun purchases without messing with the insta check, or you can just use it to get a shiny new handgun to OC with until you get your privilege card.

RayBurton72

Despite the sheriff's words, he has no discretion in issuing CHP. He has complete discretion on whether to issue a purchase permit however (and there is very little you can do about it - Don't you just love the remnants of the Jim Crow laws?) .

If you meet the legal requirements for the carry permit, I would apply for that.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD