• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cash IN HAND to become 501c(4)

Lepine1

All good points worth consideration. The leadership as of right now is anyone that is willing to be involved. We have long way to go, but the good news is we have lifetime to get there.
As you state flood the internet? How do you suggest we do this?
MOCA, anyone who reads newspaper in Maine is aware of the work we've done. (Short on funds there are other idea's on table that deserve at least consideration).
Are you coming to bowl? We'll have chance to meet and exchange idea's.
Please send your email to mainecarry@hotmail.com (This list is being compiled for the future you may not recieve email for months or years but when the time is right I will make contact)

It's easy to flood the internet. We are all part of Forums and we all have friends that read our face book and tweeter post. We need to firts agree on what we want to say then each and every one of u starts posting daily. Before you know it we have hundreds of post on peoples pages. It does work I've done it before

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
It's easy to flood the internet. We are all part of Forums and we all have friends that read our face book and tweeter post. We need to firts agree on what we want to say then each and every one of u starts posting daily. Before you know it we have hundreds of post on peoples pages. It does work I've done it before

we're trying to find a way to get our message out to the people who don't use social media or perhaps even have internet.

jonjon_jon

In my opinion we are to small and the members in our forum are to inactive (sorry guys) for this to work. I agree with Shane growth must come from the outside. I believe we should use the internet where and when we can but it's not exciting the Maine citizen the word isn't getting out. We were a small group out of the gate and we're getting smaller. We need a different approach! This isn't easy, each one of us has a different opinion of what should be done and how to be successful. Shane and I have been working on some projects and agree on nothing except we both have the same goals for MOCA. It's a easy to tear friendships apart on internet web sites. Each one of us needs to show other members respect and step back for few minutes when we recieve email or post that p*sses us off. This is my message to each of you. I beg you not to engage web wars especially on public forums where we should all be joining as Brothers and Sisters! None of us have all the answers but hopefully in the new year we can together move MOCA forward.

Last edited:

sraacke

Jon,
I want to jump back in here and hopefully give you some low cost ideas to get the word out and hopefully grow your group.
First, take a look at the posts and photos I put in these threads at Bayou Shooter which is a very popular Louisiana specific gun forum.
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?59533-Open-Carry-question-to-Shreveport-PD
and
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?58385-OC-laws-in-ebr/page2 See my posts and photos on page 2 and 3 of that thread including posts # 31, 32, 34, 47, 51, 63, 75 and 99 in that thread.
Those threads have examples of what we (La Open Carry Awareness League) have done. By posting to that forum we are spreading the word to other gun owners in our state. Some are Law Enforcement. Some are CHP instructors. Others work different jobs which allows us to get out message out to many different people and network.
As you see, we printed up our pamphlets and got them to CHP instructors to hand out in class, we posted them on corkboards outside stores and other public places and we place our pamphlets at news stands or in doctors waiting areas. We sent out hundreds of mailings to LE agencies and media.
We Post regular meeing announcements not only here in OCDO but many other gun forums such as The High Road, USA Carry, Defensive Carry and local forums such as La Sportsman (which has a forum and sell magazines at stores all over the State).
We mentioned Facebook. You can find the LOCAL Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Louisiana-Open-Carry-Awareness-League-LOCAL/124751677535026 . We can post messages at other peoples Facebook walls wich others will see and follow back to our webpage which gets our message out further.
Oh, speaking of posting meeting announcements, sometimes those posts start conversations regarding Open Carry. One such thread is going on right now at http://forum.nolatac.com/showthread.php?505-LOCAL-meeting-Wed-1-4-2012-LaPlace-IHOP&p=2192#post2192 . There you will see a Progun guy deride OC and I step in and give my views of the pros of OC. I then posted lots of photos to illistrate my points.
How else can you get the word out to the masses? Have a meetup and invite the media. Here's one that happened before LOCAL was even formed but several people in this clip went on to be founding members of LOCAL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEkx4sOLuT0
Try anything to get your face or name in front of the media and thus the public. Here is a short news segment on the Baton Rouge morning news cast where the morning crime reporter asks questions of a State Trooper and we got our name mantioned while asking a OC related question...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEHDq5Jpx1E&context=C3f5c716ADOEgsToPDskK8Auv84FQjc4VfovGVrL_J
Get out and put out fliers at gun shows or events at sporting goods stores like I did at Bass Pro. Have a banner made and make a frame to hold it to put over your table at gun shows.
localbannera.jpg

LOCALbannerframe1.jpg
Look for other gatherings where you can get a table or put out your pamphlets/fliers. For instance, I put out a bunch of pamphlets at a Ham Radio show last year and hope to get a table at the Ham Radio fest this year. This gets me in front of a group of people who may own guns but aren't part of the "gun culture" such as shooting clubs or internet forums like this.
hamfest2011d.jpg

Think outside of the "gun" box and see who else is out there and how you can get your message to them. Is there a festival or fair where you can set up a table and put up your banner or hand out pamphlets? Is there a hunting or gun safety seminar you can participate in?
Get together over pancakes and brainstorm ideas. I'm sure you will come up with many other ideas on how to reach others in your area.
I hope this helps some. The best I can do is point out what we have done but also caution you as I have before that you need to be realistic with your desires to grow and get the message out.
Sorry to throw so much at you but I wanted ot give you as much info to work with as possible.

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

The biggest point I got out of Yale's post is they managed to bring a small group of dedcated people together, all without a doubt had different backgrounds and idea's for one common goal. Though small in numbers their dedication has paid off. They have come up with some great idea's and have put in countless hours in to create LOCAL. We support their effort and thank them for their input for our cause. We now can do the same in Maine with your help.

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

I stated in earlier post I didn't think internet support at the moment was the way to go. I have reconsidered my statement over the evening and know I was wrong! Shane and I have been working on a open letter to greet new members and send to people that respond to ad's in Uncle Henry's This is still a work in progress it hasn't been easy. To your point lepine, I think after this letter is completed we should ask all members and friends to do just as you suggest. We'll use our own personal email to forward this letter to friends and family and ask their support by also emailing it.

scott58dh

3/03/12 Meeting minutes ?

Hi all, I was just curious how the last meeting turn out was and what issues/business was discussed ?

Hope all is well and can't wait for spring to get here.

Stay in touch ! Peace & Love !!! ;<)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Hi all, I was just curious how the last meeting turn out was and what issues/business was discussed ?

Hope all is well and can't wait for spring to get here.

Stay in touch ! Peace & Love !!! ;<)

Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you (been sick) We voted on officers to facilitate meetings better. We discussed membership fees. Talked about the bylaws and mission statement. It was a very productive meeting all in all. Hard to get into details online though, ya know ;-).

scott58dh

Bangor GO-ME Home Show Display ?

:cool: Hi ! I'm just kinda thinkin out loud here but was curious if anyone thot it might be possible to set up a " Home Defense " Display table at the Bangor Home show?

Not really sure of Vendor fees etc, but could possibly generate some interest in the new GO-ME group.

Make public aware of CCW Permits, Local Area Shooting Ranges, LEO relations with OCers & CCW citizens, Gun smiths/Sales stores (FFL Dealers),,,, reloading,,,

i guess the list is whatever others are interested in ?

Not sure of date right now, will do some research.

Thanks for puttin up with me & my random thinkin. ;<)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
:cool: Hi ! I'm just kinda thinkin out loud here but was curious if anyone thot it might be possible to set up a " Home Defense " Display table at the Bangor Home show?

Not really sure of Vendor fees etc, but could possibly generate some interest in the new GO-ME group.

Make public aware of CCW Permits, Local Area Shooting Ranges, LEO relations with OCers & CCW citizens, Gun smiths/Sales stores (FFL Dealers),,,, reloading,,,

i guess the list is whatever others are interested in ?

Not sure of date right now, will do some research.

Thanks for puttin up with me & my random thinkin. ;<)

pm sent.

scott58dh

GO-ME Bgr. Home Show Display ?

The show happens on April 20/21/22 & booth rental rates are $795 ! :uhoh:

That's alot more than I would've ever guessed it would be.

Don't know what else to say right now.

Will post if anything develops.

Have a nice one. :dude:

KB1PTH

I had a thought while reading. Has any one set up at gun shows and handout info. Gun show tables are cheap and for the cause they might let a table be set up for a lower cost. Also if there is a both that needs a printed banner I might be able to help on that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I had a thought while reading. Has any one set up at gun shows and handout info. Gun show tables are cheap and for the cause they might let a table be set up for a lower cost. Also if there is a both that needs a printed banner I might be able to help on that.

Having a printed banner is always a good thing - can be used to ID the group at picnics and other outings. Are we talking donation here?

XD4ME

Just curious where you guys are at concerning MOCA. Being a Mainer I have been looking for local group(s) that are representing and movin forward our 2A rights.

boyscout399

We've ended MOCA and are waiting for paperwork to come back from our lawyer regarding filing 501c(4). We got a lawyer to draft the paperwork for free. We've been holding monthly meetings that have been posted every month. Meetings are held the first Saturday of the month, usually at The Cabin 552 Washington St. Brunswick