• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut law

Hef

Wow, I thought discussion was a two way process. That does not help, it only tells me you don't have an answer. The above statute is real and does matter if you choose to carry.

Funny that you mention "not having an answer". You still have yet to respond to this:

The public safety commissioner isn't a legislator and doesn't make law. Nor is the public safety commissioner anywhere near the same as the BFPE.

Care to explain the relevance of your post to my previous post? I see none. It appears you're simply cutting and pasting from DPS web pages without thought to a sound and logical argument.

It's interesting that you stumble from citing one statute to the next, failing to make a solid argument at any point, and often citing inapplicable statutes to support your errant assertions. I would love for you to step up and really post something worth debating.

Yet another disappointing newcomer.

Jellydonut

Funny that you mention "not having an answer". You still have yet to respond to this:

It's interesting that you stumble from citing one statute to the next, failing to make a solid argument at any point, and often citing inapplicable statutes to support your errant assertions. I would love for you to step up and really post something worth debating.

Yet another disappointing newcomer.

I had the same thoughts about you. I did answer your question the board is not legislative but they regulate the permit which allows you to carry. No permit no carry open or concealed. As for my posting DPS and CT.gov, while you may think it isn't relative I do.

Hef

I had the same thoughts about you. I did answer your question the board is not legislative but they regulate the permit which allows you to carry. No permit no carry open or concealed. As for my posting DPS and CT.gov, while you may think it isn't relative I do.

The BFPE reviews cases of permit revocations, application denials, and renewal denials. They regulate nothing. They are a civil body with a limited authority, organized to provide an appeals process as a counter to potential abuse of revocation and denial power by DPS.

You may now revise your argument.

Jellydonut

The BFPE reviews cases of permit revocations, application denials, and renewal denials. They regulate nothing. They are a civil body with a limited authority, organized to provide an appeals process as a counter to potential abuse of revocation and denial power by DPS.

You may now revise your argument.

Ok, so the DPS can revoke your permit. The point is your permit can be revoked.

4. Can the Department of Public Safety (DPS) revoke a permit without a written request?

The answer is yes. The public safety commissioner may revoke a permit based upon his own investigation or at the request of any law enforcement official (CGS § 29-32(b)). The law does not specify that the revocation request be made in writing.

Ctclassic

JellyDonut, do yourself ( and everyone else ) a favor and do some research and go out and exprience what its like to open carry in the community. I feel compelled to tell you that about two weeks ago ( for the second time ) my nephew was 'detained' and licence and permit to carry was run thru the system, the State cop was addiment that open carry was illegal and after 40 minutes he was given back his permit and licence and told he could leave. Firearm was never taken out of holster, oh did I mention there were 4 cops. Bottom line is that the LEO searched high and low for something he could make 'stick', but couldn't....and he knew it. So, if you dont feel comfortable carrying openly, then don't...it may not be for you. But I urge you to try it...the more you do it the easier it becomes. Just my .02

Hef

4. Can the Department of Public Safety (DPS) revoke a permit without a written request?

The answer is yes. The public safety commissioner may revoke a permit based upon his own investigation or at the request of any law enforcement official (CGS § 29-32(b)). The law does not specify that the revocation request be made in writing.

And now we're back to regurgitating irrelevant cut&pastes from the DPS website? Good job.

LQM

Here goes.

"Upon the revocation of any state permit or temporary state permit, the person whose state permit or temporary state permit is revoked shall be notified in writing and such state permit or temporary state permit shall be forthwith delivered to the commissioner."

I know I'll regret this, but here goes.

The above is from JellyDonut's post. Now, in my unlearned mind, this means that notwithstanding any other provision in the statute, the Commissioner still "shall" notify in writing said permit holder of any revocation.

" shall | sh al|
modal verb ( 3rd sing. present shall )
1 (in the first person) expressing the future tense : this time next week I shall be in Scotland | we shan't be gone long.
2 expressing a strong assertion or intention : they shall succeed | you shall not frighten me out of this.
3 expressing an instruction or command : you shall not steal.
4 used in questions indicating offers or suggestions : shall I send you the book? | shall we go?
ORIGIN Old English sceal, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zal and German soll, from a base meaning ‘owe.’
USAGE There is considerable confusion about when to use shall and will. The traditional rule in standard English is that shall is used with first person pronouns ( I and we) to form the future tense, while will is used with second and third persons ( you, he, she, it, they): : I shall be late;: she will not be there. When expressing a strong determination to do something, the traditional rule is that will is used with the first person, and shall with the second and third persons: : I will not tolerate this;: you shall go to school. In practice, however, shall and will are today used more or less interchangeably in statements (although not in questions). Given that the forms are frequently contracted ( we'll, she'll, etc.), there is often no need to make a choice between shall and will, another factor no doubt instrumental in weakening the distinction. In modern English, the interchangeable use of shall and will is an acceptable part of standard U.S. and British English." (New Oxford American Dictionary 2nd edition © 2005 by Oxford University Press, Inc.)

As all things regarding words, you have to find their meaning when they were used.

Leverdude

You need to do some reading right here. You are talking to people who have had issues with OC & the police and came out on top. They can yank your permit, but you will get it back & now that the LEO community knows it people arent even having them taken away in the first place. One gentleman in this discussion was taken downtown, the police found they couldn't charge him as desired, charged him a lesser crime, returned his gun & ammo & let him go. In court the remaining charges were dropped.

As surprising as it is many long held beliefs are wrong & many abuses of authority are going on & have been for years. Wether or not the coming awareness of the reality of CT's carry laws helps us or hurts us is debateable but the fact is you dont need to conceal your gun, nor worry if some soccer mom will get upset, there is NO law requireing you hide a gun or worry about others sentiments about it.. Of course you can conceal if you chose and be considerate of irrational phobias too, but you do not need to.

Jellydonut

JellyDonut, do yourself ( and everyone else ) a favor and do some research and go out and exprience what its like to open carry in the community. I feel compelled to tell you that about two weeks ago ( for the second time ) my nephew was 'detained' and licence and permit to carry was run thru the system, the State cop was addiment that open carry was illegal and after 40 minutes he was given back his permit and licence and told he could leave. Firearm was never taken out of holster, oh did I mention there were 4 cops. Bottom line is that the LEO searched high and low for something he could make 'stick', but couldn't....and he knew it. So, if you dont feel comfortable carrying openly, then don't...it may not be for you. But I urge you to try it...the more you do it the easier it becomes. Just my .02

Every situation is different and you run the risk of being detained, arrested or in your case let go. If you get arrested your permit might be revoked. No permit no carry, period. Worth the risk when you can carry concealed. Not in my opinion.

Jellydonut

You need to do some reading right here. You are talking to people who have had issues with OC & the police and came out on top. They can yank your permit, but you will get it back & now that the LEO community knows it people arent even having them taken away in the first place. One gentleman in this discussion was taken downtown, the police found they couldn't charge him as desired, charged him a lesser crime, returned his gun & ammo & let him go. In court the remaining charges were dropped.

As surprising as it is many long held beliefs are wrong & many abuses of authority are going on & have been for years. Wether or not the coming awareness of the reality of CT's carry laws helps us or hurts us is debateable but the fact is you dont need to conceal your gun, nor worry if some soccer mom will get upset, there is NO law requireing you hide a gun or worry about others sentiments about it.. Of course you can conceal if you chose and be considerate of irrational phobias too, but you do not need to.

I read the case in the Hartfoed Courant. Charges were dropped but he does not have his pisol permit, it's been 2 years. My understanding is that he was concealing but someone saw his gun, sticking out a bit I guess. Like I said every situation is different. Sounds like this case was accidental OC.

Jellydonut

And still no response from Jellydonut, as expected. Thanks for playing.

I'm here and still playing. I have done about 10 hours of research on the subject. Happy? Like I have said, every situation is different, it's not black and white. You can carry openly but you take risks, which I mentioned before.

Rich B

I have done about 10 hours of research on the subject.

Most people here have done months or years of research. Many of us have been actively open carrying and some of us have been involved in legal actions about open carry.

it's not black and white.

It most certainly is. Open carry is 100% legal. No LEO can arrest someone for the act of open carrying. The ones that do are making unlawful arrests and will be dealt with accordingly in the legal system.

Don't believe me? Ask the Wallingford Police Department who got a great education on this in May.

Seriously, if you are trying to troll (which is my best guess so far) you are doing a terrible job.

Last edited:

Hef

I'm here and still playing. I have done about 10 hours of research on the subject. Happy? Like I have said, every situation is different, it's not black and white. You can carry openly but you take risks, which I mentioned before.

In those ten hours, did you manage to find any answers to my previously posted questions, or do you intend to continue to avoid answering with anything more than regurgitated and inapplicable quotes from the DPS website?

Edward Peruta

I read the case in the Hartford Courant. Charges were dropped but he does not have his pistol permit, it's been 2 years. My understanding is that he was concealing but someone saw his gun, sticking out a bit I guess. Like I said every situation is different. Sounds like this case was accidental OC.

The case is James Goldberg v. Glastonbury and there is a hearing in the U.S. Federal District Court in Bridgeport at 10:00 AM this Friday. James Goldberg was arrested on June 21, 2007, did have the weapons seized and destroyed and did have his permit taken and revoked by DPS.

His permit was returned in August of 2008 by DPS and there are two federal lawsuits regarding this arrest and subsequent actions.

There are many legal documents available on this site and the INTERNET.

Why don't you post under your real name or provide some information about why you are trying to mislead people with your inexperience in Connecticut Firearm issues.

The information you post has been discussed and dissected many times in this forum and elsewhere, and the law is pretty well known to most who have been actively involved in the issues.

Leverdude

I read the case in the Hartfoed Courant. Charges were dropped but he does not have his pisol permit, it's been 2 years. My understanding is that he was concealing but someone saw his gun, sticking out a bit I guess. Like I said every situation is different. Sounds like this case was accidental OC.

No, I'm talking about Rich.B, the gentleman in THIS conversation. Ask him about his experience.

Last edited: