• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taking the son to the range for the first time

spiderjohn

Hey Now,

I recently bought a Marlin 795 .22 lr in order to teach my son about gun safety and have some father/son bonding time. Finally got a chance to show him the rifle and we we went over safety rules and had some practice sessions with him going through the routing of loading an empty magazine into the rifle, operating the safety, etc. I was impressed with how quickly he picked up on it and seemed to take it seriously. It seems sometimes 11 year old boys don't take anything seriously but he listened and showed great handling skills with it.

The next day we went to the range. I had about 300 rounds and 3 magazines and we again went over everything again. I got the typical 11yo 'roll of the eyes yes I know dad' but i reminded him that this was serious and that these were the things we had to do to be safe. I had him load the magazines and watched as he loaded the magazine into the rifle, activated the bolt, and clicked off the safety. He fired about 5 rounds and I stopped him and gave him some pointers. He slowed down and started hitting the target right on.

After about 50 rounds he was doing excellent. The target wasn't too far away, about half way down the range. I brought it back up and put a piece of tape about 2" long on it and sent it about 3/4 of the way down the range. I said you get a dollar for each time you hit the tape. He really concentrated and I ended up giving him $7 on that magazine of 10 rounds. We did that a couple more times and then i was out of money and said we just shoot for fun now! ;)

We alternated turns after that and had a blast. I had him remove the magazine after it was empty and click on the safety each time after making sure there was no rounds in the chamber. We only had one instance at the end when he was putting the rifle in the case after he had verified it was empty and the safety was on...he brought the rifle back and swept me with it while taking it to the case. I took the chance to again tell him about how we always assume it's loaded and showed him the proper way of handling that situation. He realized right away what he did wrong and I had him go back and bring it safely out and put it in the case.

We'll be going back this weekend if it works out. My son is quickly moving towards teen years....not only will this be a great gun learning experience but I hope it will be a bonding experience for both of us. He is already talking about wanting to try a pistol out....I think my .45 is a bit much for him but after a couple more rounds at the range I may rent a .22 pistol.

Just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

Excellent! I cannot wait to take my son to the range, unfortunately it will be a while till he's old enough. Even more unfortunately is that he will grow up too fast! ~lol~

If your looking for something with more umph than 22lr but not as massive as .45 try 22 magmun. Same diammeter but longer cartrige and more powder. Big loud bang but recoil is only slightly more than 22lr.

Sent using tapatalk

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Very cool!!!! Good to start them young. I too can't wait until my son is old enough to take to the range.

spiderjohn

Excellent! I cannot wait to take my son to the range, unfortunately it will be a while till he's old enough. Even more unfortunately is that he will grow up too fast! ~lol~

If your looking for something with more umph than 22lr but not as massive as .45 try 22 magmun. Same diammeter but longer cartrige and more powder. Big loud bang but recoil is only slightly more than 22lr.

Sent using tapatalk

Talking about big bang...they guy next to us was shooting a .50 desert eagle...when he shot the first time I nearly jumped 3 ft in the air...I thought something had blown up. I could feel the air swooshing over me when he shot...wow! :eek:

mrjam2jab

I took my 9 yr old daughter for her first time 2 weeks ago. She started with the .22 rifle. Did amazingly well. Keep it in the center circle no matter whether it was 10 yrd or 25 yrd. She also shot the .22 revolver, .25 pistol, and .38 revolver. Handled them all just fine. I didn't have her shoot the 9mm as I thought her hands my be a bit small for that.

She has asked every other day since "when can we go again?" :D

protias

I can't wait to take my children to the range, but I suppose having children would help, and so would having a wife. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Teaching a kid to shoot and handle a gun safely is teaching responsibility.
It is one of the great lessons we impart to our children. It is at the very core of our of our nation.