• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Etiquette

Breadslinger

Well, is there such a thing and if so...what is your version of it?
I'm very interested in making the transition from concealed carry to open carry and would like to hear some of the do's and don't's that might pertain to it. I would like to know from your personal experiences what would help to avoid any unnecessary interactions with law enforcement and "John Q. Public." In particular, what would generally be considered to be more sociially acceptable...such as certain models of sidearms, holster designs, etc. I'm certain that the most difficult barrier to overcome is the one between my ears. Thank you in advance for your responses.
tr

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Great topic!

I always ask permission to enter a home while I am armed, openly or concealing. I am honoring my host whether or not he even knows it. South Carolina law requires it as I recall.

I always wear a hat, a 'fedora', especially while armed, as I believe it distinguishes from a kid's cap.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I also remind myself that as an OCer, I am not only representing myself, but others as well. One bad OCer can cast a negative impression on all. Just look at how the media portrays self-defense issues and this becomes evident.

Besides that simply treat others how you would like to be treated. If I encounter a negative person/anti I simply take the high road and thank them for their opinion. If someone seems open to discussion, the the opportunity to educate them about open carry and you might just win them over to our side.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Lessee now -

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch, do not finger-fiddle with it or your holster, stop hitching up your belt/pants and get a proper gun belt (and maybe suspenders if you still need help holding it up), and remember that it just a tool like your cellphone or multi-tool - you only take it out when you need to use it.

And just because you have it hanging off your belt does not mean you need to find an excuse to need to use it.

No, you may not take it out and pass it around to show folks what you care carrying. (See above.)

While some folks would really like you to spend lots of money and have a fancy holster, all you really need is one that keeps it held without falling/dropping out when you do not want it out, and allows you to get it out without interference when you need to. Open top, retention strap, thumb break, fancy plastic gizmo do not matter - even the expensive nylon ones can work. (Just like .45 v 9mm, the debate over one-handed reholstering will only be won when there is only one guy still standing.)

Most of the "etiquette" about OCing seems to revolve around keeping your poise and not letting the rabid anti hoplophobes rattle you. But then why anyone who professes to be afraid of guns and what people who carry guns might do would get up in the face of someone carrying a gun has always mystified me. If I cannot walk away from them I just stand there and let them rant and rave until they cross the magical line of committing an assault (the threat of an unlawful touch), which is when I'll try to retreat to safety and I call for the cops to come and deal with them.

If someone wants to know why I'm carrying a handgun, or what the laws are about doing so I'll try to explain and leave some literature (businesscard sized OC cards work best for me for carrying around) in their hands - printed info they can go look up and confirm on their own as opposed to what some phat olde pharte said:D:banana:. The last thing I try to say is an invitation to join the state-level gun rights organization (here in Virginia that would be VCDL). I try to have membership application forms on hand but sometimes forget that I ran out - but that's OK because you can join on-line!:monkey

stay safe.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Another piece of advice: Just act normal. You should make sure you are well aware of what's going on around you of course but other than that go about your everyday business same as you always have. Most people won't even notice, and the ones that do; so long as you are acting normal, just shrug it off. Very seldom will someone come up and ask you about it and I find that when they do, it's usually positive. In fact, I haven't had any real negative encounters yet but have had three people come up and thank me for exercising my rights. When someone is just curious and interested feel free to be an ambassador for the cause. Someday, somewhere there will be an asshat that doesn't like you carrying no matter what. Politely refrain from conversing with them and be on your way.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The forms required by good breeding, decorum, customary behavior towards each other

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/etiquette

Noun
etiquette (plural etiquettes)

The forms required by good breeding, or prescribed by authority, to be observed in social or official life; observance of the proprieties of rank and occasion; conventional decorum; ceremonial code of polite society.
The customary behavior of members of a profession, business, law, or sports team towards each other.
A label used to indicate that a letter is to be sent by airmail.

hogeaterf6

I act the same whether I'm wearing a uniform, biker attire, or casual-sometimes biker- attire. My gun dont me, as a person, act different. All my friends are bikers so I never ask to carry in their house, guns are encouraged!

FTG-05

Lessee now -

[snip]

While some folks would really like you to spend lots of money and have a fancy holster, all you really need is one that keeps it held without falling/dropping out when you do not want it out, and allows you to get it out without interference when you need to. Open top, retention strap, thumb break, fancy plastic gizmo do not matter - even the expensive nylon ones can work. (Just like .45 v 9mm, the debate over one-handed reholstering will only be won when there is only one guy still standing.)

[snip]

stay safe.

The only disagreement I would have with Skid's comments about holsters is to not use a horizontal shoulder holster - especially for OCing. The idea of walking around and essentially deliberately pointing your weapon at anyone behind you would no doubt be a little disconcerting. I know it was for me when RO'ing shooters with them years ago.

Otherwise, I agree with all.

The gun belt is key to having a comfortable fit and to securing the holster and weapon to your body - don't skimp on the belt. Personally, I will no longer trust any belt that uses velcro for fastening. Hence, I don't like those type of belts (I forget the typical trade names for them). My preferred belt is a 1 1/2" leather belt from TheBeltMan.net shop. Excellent work and excellent prices - anything you buy from his, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Gil223

The gun belt is key to having a comfortable fit and to securing the holster and weapon to your body - don't skimp on the belt. Personally, I will no longer trust any belt that uses velcro for fastening. Hence, I don't like those type of belts (I forget the typical trade names for them). My preferred belt is a 1 1/2" leather belt from TheBeltMan.com shop. Excellent work and excellent prices - anything you buy from his, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Good luck.

TheBeltMan produces an excellent product! Mine is a 2" leather belt, which I have worn for several years. Gun belts (that are worth a damn) ARE a bit pricey, but (IMHO) well worth the money. Yeah, you can buy a garrison belt at WalMart for $8-10, and for that you get a belt only designed to hold up your pants. A belt holster will slide over it... and flop around on it. They don't have the thickness or stiffeners that belts designed specifically to carry (and retain in position) a holstered handgun provide. A couple of decades ago, I wore a very nice Bianchi gun belt, and it lasted me for about 15 years. Excellent belt! It was 'expensive' for an off-the-rack belt at the time - around $45-50. TheBeltMan (ostensibly) custom makes your belt to fit you, and uses top grade leather and stiffeners in the process. Today expect to spend $75+ for a good gun belt... but. you can also expect it to last for a lustrum or two. (Because of that, you may want to buy your belt an inch or two larger than you wear today, as insurance that you don't outgrow it before it dies of natural causes!) I highly recommend The Belt Man to anybody considering a serious gun belt! Pax...

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I believe there's two components:

The first is legal. An example would be since brandishing is generally illegal, keeping your firearm holstered would be considered good "etiquette."

The second involves good manners. While one need not be dashing and debonair, one should avoid behaving rudely, or worse, like an uncaring, insensitive knuckle-dragger.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I'm certain that the most difficult barrier to overcome is the one between my ears.
This realization, along with the rest of your post, tells me you will be fine once you get a little information and experience.

Since I have to CC most of the time due to local ordinance and business, when I can OC I sometimes feel a little self-conscious again like a newbie depending on where I am. That is obviously coming from between my ears so I well understand and agree with your above comment.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Open Carry Etiquette?

Just make sure to have at least one black holster. A gentleman never wears brown leather after 6:00PM.

HKcarrier

Never... and I mean NEVER OC in an ankle holster while wearing shorts. If you also are wearing sandals with socks along with the ankle holster and shorts, you should just be arrested. :D