• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has any one been OC-ing in the NF or on the AT?

love4guns

I OC a great deal on the AT because it is under and ran by the NPS. Even though the trail goes through some of the NF land from what I understand so long as your feet are on the Appalachain Trail its legal to O.C...... Please correct me if I am mistaken. I love OC-ing in the Sheanadoah National Park. I saw a big black bear that made me think my .357 sig was a pea shooter :eek: . Nothing like back country camping solo...please share any OC stories from within the NP or NF

Roverhound

In order to carry in the NF outside of hunting season you need a CHP.
Regulations Specific to National Forest and Game Department Lands

It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all National Forest lands statewide, or on Department-owned lands and on lands managed by the Department under cooperative agreement in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey or waterfowl on these lands; and on Department-owned lands and on lands managed by the Department under cooperative agreement in counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl or migratory game birds on these lands. (See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).

It shall be unlawful to possess or transport a loaded firearm or loaded crossbow in or on any vehicle at any time on National Forest lands or Department-owned lands. (See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).

"Loaded firearm" is defined as a firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in the magazine or clip, when such magazine or clip is found engaged or partially engaged in a firearm.

The definition of a loaded muzzleloading firearm will include a firearm which is capped, or has a charged pan, or has a primer, or battery installed in the firearm.

The definition of a "loaded crossbow" is a crossbow that is cocked and has either a bolt or arrow engaged or partially engaged on the shooting rail or track of the crossbow, or with a "trackless crossbow" when the crossbow is cocked and a bolt or arrow is nocked.

The word "possession" shall include, but not be limited to, having any bow, crossbow, or firearm in or on one's person, vehicle, or conveyance.

It is unlawful to chase with a dog or train dogs on National Forest lands or Department-owned lands except during authorized hunting, chase, or training seasons that specifically permit these activities on these lands.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/publiclands.asp
Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:
•Possess a concealed handgun during archery seasons, muzzleloader seasons, and general firearms seasons.
•Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
•Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.
•Possess a concealed handgun while using dogs for tracking wounded or dead bear or deer but no game may be taken

davestradamus

Last edited:

hgreen

If I understand this correctly, It would be illegal for me (or anyone) to OC while camping in the George Washington Natl Forest. Am I right? I love to camp there, and would hate to be forced away by silly gun restrictions.

What a bummer....

That's my understanding. And even during hunting seasons, if you are OCing on a Sunday that would be violation since there is no Sunday hunting in Virginia.

I pushed for the repeal of Sunday hunting and for the addressing of this restriction on OC in National Forests to my representatives at lobby day but there did not seem to be any larger group support from the gun rights community to change either of these issues. Most of the focus this year seemed to be on the OGAM, parking lot carry, and cleanup to perks for permit codes.

davestradamus

Sounds like I need a list of places I can camp while OCing. I guess almost everywhere on the AT would be fine.

I was hoping to hike/camp at Mt. Pleasant this weekend, but not if I can't have my traveling buddy on my hip!

I would think the NF would be viewed by anti folks as a place where firearms would be a good idea.... :rolleyes:

Lions and Tigers and Bears OH MY!

-David

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's my understanding. And even during hunting seasons, if you are OCing on a Sunday that would be violation since there is no Sunday hunting in Virginia.

I pushed for the repeal of Sunday hunting and for the addressing of this restriction on OC in National Forests to my representatives at lobby day but there did not seem to be any larger group support from the gun rights community to change either of these issues. Most of the focus this year seemed to be on the OGAM, parking lot carry, and cleanup to perks for permit codes.

You're exactly right and we need to nudge VCDL which openly admits it considers Sunday hunting and or carry in the NF, a hunting issue. They have chosen to not take a position in hunting matters which is odd since the majority of gun owners are hunters and do not cc or have CHP's.

Just for academic study to the OP....CC without a permit in the NF, has long been considered normal by the natives. They use the "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it" philosophy. That doesn't make it legal or recommended...just a fact you may want to know the next time you play trivial pursuit.

Last edited:

davestradamus

You're exactly right and we need to nudge VCDL which openly admits it considers Sunday hunting and or carry in the NF, a hunting issue. They have chosen to not take a position in hunting matters which is odd since the majority of gun owners are hunters and do not cc or have CHP's.

Just for academic study to the OP....CC without a permit in the NF, has long been considered normal by the natives. They use the "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it" philosophy. That doesn't make it legal or recommended...just a fact you may want to know the next time you play trivial pursuit.

I didnt mean to hijack the OP's thread. This issue is of particular importance to me since I camped in the NF last weekend a would like to carry while there. The access road I use is apparently frequented by tweakers and such to enjoy their favorite activities. :rolleyes:

Game wardens are not people to mess around with. The Forest Service can bust yo butt in a heartbeat....

hgreen

Has anyone ever been busted for OC in National Forest during non-hunting time periods that DID have a VA CHP?

What is the penalty for OC during those times in NF land in VA?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I didnt mean to hijack the OP's thread. This issue is of particular importance to me since I camped in the NF last weekend a would like to carry while there. The access road I use is apparently frequented by tweakers and such to enjoy their favorite activities. :rolleyes:

Game wardens are not people to mess around with. The Forest Service can bust yo butt in a heartbeat....

There are no Game Wardens anymore and Forest Rangers are few and far between. What's Bill call them.."Possum Cops":banana:

Anyway, I'm not recommending anything, just sharing an observation from growing up in the National Forest!

love4guns

If I understand this correctly, It would be illegal for me (or anyone) to OC while camping in the George Washington Natl Forest. Am I right? I love to camp there, and would hate to be forced away by silly gun restrictions.

What a bummer....

Just noticed we live in the same town. I usually stick to the A.T. or the Shen. National Park just to be safe. There is plenty of good back country camping out there. Like Mr. Nap said the rangers are few and far between as well. I would love to organize an OC hike or even camping trip. I could led it because I know the area very well but dont disarm yourself out there. Too many weirdos and the black bear I saw out there made Shaq look like a mouse. Happy camping!

ManInBlack

I cannot imagine not being able to carry without a permit in a national forest...then again, I can't imagine not being able to hunt on Sunday, either. :(

Bummer, guys.