• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW 1ST Degree Misdemeanor in Akron

WalkingWolf

Well, his record does not help his credibility, BUT. If he was arrested for just a small pocket cutting tool as concealed weapon, IMO it is bullhockey. The officers should be ashamed for wasting the money of tax payers. Because the OP may or may not be a criminal has no bearing on a possibly illegal arrest, just because they did not catch him with the goods that time. Maybe someone from Ohio can give us the scoop on carrying a pocket knife in Ohio.

It appears from State v. Anderson, that a knife that can be opened by one hand in Ohio is a deadly weapon. While personally I think it is silly, it is the law. The OP should have known the laws pertaining to carrying a pocket knife in Ohio.

Last edited:

Werz

Looks like the OP got a lawyer...waived time...motioned to continue.

Summit County case #13 CRB 02510

The arrest was on 3/11/13.

A person of the same name and birthdate, using the same lawyer, picked up two drug charges in Stow on 3/21/13...one is a felony. Those two cases have been sent to Summit County.

Not just any drug charges, either.

Illegal Assembly/Possession of Chemicals + Prohibited Purchase of Pseudoephedrine = Cooking Meth

Don't forget to burp the bottle, dude.

MyWifeSaidYes

Ohio doesn't actually have any "knife" laws for adults.

These are the applicable sections of the Ohio Revised Code:

2923.11 Weapons control definitions.
As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:
(A) "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.
2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:
(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;
(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;
(3) A dangerous ordnance.

And, of course, there is no preemption for knife laws, so each municipality can have their own restrictions.

WalkingWolf

Ohio doesn't actually have any "knife" laws for adults.

These are the applicable sections of the Ohio Revised Code:

And, of course, there is no preemption for knife laws, so each municipality can have their own restrictions.

From what I gather from state V Anderson the OP is pretty much screwed. The knife he had was a tactical knife that could be opened with one hand.

Considering his run ins with the law, he should have been smart enough to research what kind of knife is/was legal.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
??

Umm, you wanna re-read my post? I never said she was doing something wrong, nor did I presume to judge her.

I'm simply asking the cause of multiple arrests?

Is there a cop that has it out for her?

Does she "look" like she's up to something all the time?

Does she hang out with people who cops like to arrest and appears 'guilty by association'?

I don't know the lady. I do not know, nor do I care to know, why she was arrested. But there HAD to be a reason, right? If she was truly getting arrested multiple times for no reason, we should be encouraging her to file suit for civil rights violations...if she hasn't already.

I was going to apologize, then I re-read what you wrote:

I had some scrapes with the law when I was younger, but they weren't bogus charges...I was just stupid.

What or who do you blame for being arrested so many times?

Sorry, but your wording comes across to me as being implicitly judgmental. If it wasn't intended to be, fine, I have no problem taking your word for it. But your question comes across as entirely rhetorical, thereby not a straightforward question, and therefore intending to suggest some point. That's the point I took from it.

Last edited:

Werz

From what I gather from state V Anderson the OP is pretty much screwed. The knife he had was a tactical knife that could be opened with one hand.
Don't put too much weight on Anderson. Aside from being 30+ years old, it really didn't give a black-and-white definition of whether a specific knife is a "weapon." Yes, one-handed opening is a major consideration, but it's not the only factor to consider, and there is no firm definition; it's a jury question.

If you want a more complete discussion of the issue, a better place to look is State v. Cattledge, 2010-Ohio-4953, which includes rulings from multiple Ohio appellate districts and descriptions of the knives and circumstances in each of the cases cited.

Rule of Thumb: If you're looking for work knife which you can carry concealed, avoid tacticool. It's really not worth the risk just to look like a scary bad dude. If you want something with a thumb knob, opt for a short blade and a utilitarian appearance. This is what I usually carry.

WalkingWolf

Don't put too much weight on Anderson. Aside from being 30+ years old, it really didn't give a black-and-white definition of whether a specific knife is a "weapon." Yes, one-handed opening is a major consideration, but it's not the only factor to consider, and there is no firm definition; it's a jury question.

If you want a more complete discussion of the issue, a better place to look is State v. Cattledge, 2010-Ohio-4953, which includes rulings from multiple Ohio appellate districts and descriptions of the knives and circumstances in each of the cases cited.

Rule of Thumb: If you're looking for work knife which you can carry concealed, avoid tacticool. It's really not worth the risk just to look like a scary bad dude. If you want something with a thumb knob, opt for a short blade and a utilitarian appearance. This is what I usually carry.

Or carry the knife in a pouch that is clearly recognizable as a knife case. Or use a open top knife sheath, when I was younger I always kept my 110 clone in a sheath on my belt, and openly in high school, nothing was ever said. IMO these laws for folding knives are ridiculous and a waste of tax payers money. I carry a very small 3 blade non locking knife, very old school type in my pocket, but I always have a fixed blade on my belt in open view.

As far as the knife opening by one hand, IMO that does not make a knife a weapon, it makes it a better tool for when one hand is occupied when the knife is needed.

joanie

RAS, reasonable suspition, probable cause. Could be in how one see it. Many would see the simple act of open carrying as RAS, and not only the police or certain cops might see it that way. Most people I know or talk to would say with certinty, that anyone who open carrys is only doing so to draw attention to themselves and stir up trouble with the police. The concept of any reason like protecting the 2ed amendment, preserving personal freedom, would not factor in, and offering it up wouldn't make them see it any other way.

Having this RAS may be a valid reason to check someone out, but it don't justify treating them as a lowlife criminal.

Two women (friends) get together kinda late at night and decide to have a coffee and talk. They go into a place just about to close, buy the coffee and take it out to their car. The other lady's car parked beside them in the parking lot. It's winter time and cold. Just as they get ready to part ways a police car pulsl up behind and the lady in a rush to get in her own warm car out of the cold is ordered no to, to stay out in the wind and explain themselves.

So whats to explain? why I'm out in public late at night?, I didn't realize I was subject to a curfue. Where did I come from?, where am I going? How long had I been in the area? Geesh, I have to keep records, time and day of everything I do?, all the time? Heres another example of police in other's bussiness.

Last monday evening, a lady gets hit in a parking lot. Cop shows up and never mind taking pictures and documenting what happened and where the two cars took impact. Lets find out what the lady who got hit was doing there in the first place. She shouldn't have even been there and needs to crawl back under the rock she came out of. Can you tell these cops it's none of there bussiness?, or simply ask what this information has to do with the accedent? If I recall, I said "I don't see how thats relivant to any of this" Cop's responce "the staff wants to know" How dumb do they take me for having just arrived and not yet spoke with any staff.

RAS can, is, and will be abused just as any other powers the police have. BTW- the staff didn't want to know, didn't care what I was doing there. I have a membership and thats good enough for them.

MyWifeSaidYes

...your question comes across as entirely rhetorical, thereby not a straightforward question, and therefore intending to suggest some point. That's the point I took from it.

Ah, I see.

I went back and re-read my own post. It was not intended to imply anything.

MyWifeSaidYes

joanie said:
...Many would see the simple act of open carrying as RAS...

They can see it however they want, it's just not a valid viewpoint for guns OR knives.

joanie said:
Two women (friends) get together kinda late at night and decide to have a coffee and talk. They go into a place just about to close, buy the coffee and take it out to their car. The other lady's car parked beside them in the parking lot.

Okay. Late at night on private property. As a business owner, I'm not against a LEO stopping to check you out. You tell the LEO you came out to finish your coffee and haven't left yet. You don't need to answer any other questions. Since you're sitting in a car, it's probably within reason to provide your driver's license if they ask for it.

joanie said:
...Lets find out what the lady who got hit was doing there in the first place. She shouldn't have even been there and needs to crawl back under the rock she came out of.
Who made this comment?

joanie said:
Can you tell these cops it's none of there bussiness?, or simply ask what this information has to do with the accedent? If I recall, I said "I don't see how thats relivant to any of this" Cop's responce "the staff wants to know" How dumb do they take me for having just arrived and not yet spoke with any staff.

RAS can, is, and will be abused just as any other powers the police have. BTW- the staff didn't want to know, didn't care what I was doing there. I have a membership and thats good enough for them.

So, if the cop had asked you, "Why are YOU here?", you would have said, "I'm a member", right?

Are these all Grove City PD events?

Galloway neighbors Grove City, aka GroveTucky. My son likes to visit the skate park on Hoover, so maybe we'll close the park, have dinner at Golden Corral, then walk it off up and down Stringtown Rd.

joanie

Who made this comment?

I guess I did. I can say for sure that if this accident was my fault, there would have been more than one cop on the scene, they would have taken a report complete with pictures, video and all documentation. All this cop wanted to do was ask me personal questions about what I was actually doing there. I guess My reason for going there in the first place did not hold in her mind a a valid reason. When she said "why did you come here for that?" I asked what that has to do with the crash here in the parking lot. Then she lol, lied about the staff wanting to know. I told the staff about this and they said it's none of her bussiness. I hope they don't try and get me banned from the place, I really love that dry sona.

Since she refused to take a report, I don't really know where I stand with the insurance company on this. They did send someone to take pics of my car a day later, but I have not heard back from them. All it really did was rip my back bumper off and crack a tail light lens alittle, but I gotta have a back bumper.

So, if the cop had asked you, "Why are YOU here?", you would have said, "I'm a member", right? Are these all Grove City PD events? Galloway neighbors Grove City, aka GroveTucky. My son likes to visit the skate park on Hoover, so maybe we'll close the park, have dinner at Golden Corral, then walk it off up and down Stringtown Rd. .

I showed her the membership card on my key ring. No, not all Grove City. Grove City is funny in that they won't arrest me, they will charge me with whatever crime and I'll have to take it to court. The Franklin county sheriff's dept (county or state police) I suppose, not sure what they fall under, will arrest me and where most of my trouble with police comes from. Going back as far as 1995 when they had an issue with the color of the numbers on my tags. It was at the time Ohio went from green to blue letter tags. Yes my tags were valid, but green, they had a problem with it. "were on blue now, you have to keep up with the colors" and no, I'm not making this stuff up.

GroveTucky, yeah, I've heard that before. I do however like the ponds and bike trails, not crazy about what they did with the field and patches of woods behind the high school, making it a socker field. Kids used to hang out there, ride bikes on dirt mounds. Now it's all paved up, opened up, and no shade trees or hiding places.

KimberTLE

Who made this comment?
Since she refused to take a report, I don't really know where I stand with the insurance company on this. They did send someone to take pics of my car a day later, but I have not heard back from them. All it really did was rip my back bumper off and crack a tail light lens alittle, but I gotta have a back bumper.

I'm not 100% sure but I didn't think the police have to take a report if the accident is on privet property.

joanie

I'm not 100% sure but I didn't think the police have to take a report if the accident is on privet property.

Thats what the cop told me, along with saying it was no one's fault, all fair game in a parking lot I guess. Heres the thing, If this had clearly been my fault, would the police take the same stance? What if it had not damaged my car but the other woman's instead? Would a report have been taken. Look, I get that my car is old and not worth much in value, and the woman who ran into me with a nearly new SUV may have gotten a minor scuff on her much nicer car. I'm not tring to get rich off this, not tring to get a new paint job, I even think my tail light lens will be ok, it's just cracked alittle. I just don't think I should have to fix the rear bumper back on my car when I'm not the one who ripped it off. Problem in that though is I'm without a car, not because I can't drive it, it will run and drive just as before. I can't drive it legally, and the police, Grove City, or the sheriffs, lets just say they wouldn't cut me a break when their goal for years has been to cut me down and break me.

I should hear from the insurance today. I guess I'll call them tomorrow if I don't.

WalkingWolf

Thats what the cop told me, along with saying it was no one's fault, all fair game in a parking lot I guess. Heres the thing, If this had clearly been my fault, would the police take the same stance? What if it had not damaged my car but the other woman's instead? Would a report have been taken. Look, I get that my car is old and not worth much in value, and the woman who ran into me with a nearly new SUV may have gotten a minor scuff on her much nicer car. I'm not tring to get rich off this, not tring to get a new paint job, I even think my tail light lens will be ok, it's just cracked alittle. I just don't think I should have to fix the rear bumper back on my car when I'm not the one who ripped it off. Problem in that though is I'm without a car, not because I can't drive it, it will run and drive just as before. I can't drive it legally, and the police, Grove City, or the sheriffs, lets just say they wouldn't cut me a break when their goal for years has been to cut me down and break me.

I should hear from the insurance today. I guess I'll call them tomorrow if I don't.

What has this to do with the OP?

joanie

Nothing, if topics can't take on a life of their own here, I'll post somewhere where they can.

WalkingWolf

Nothing, if topics can't take on a life of their own here, I'll post somewhere where they can.

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

KimberTLE

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Since it was added to a post that the op is not coming back and also had nothing to do with gun rights or even open carry for that matter and was ALSO IN OHIO on a Ohio thread your post is irrelevant.

Last edited:

eye95

Since it was added to a post that the op is not coming back and also had nothing to do with gun rights or even open carry for that matter and was ALSO IN OHIO on a Ohio thread your post is irrelevant.

In the immortal words of Gabby Johnson: Ruh, ruh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

WalkingWolf

Would you mind citing where the OP posted he was not coming back? I don't care where the post is, the rules are the rules, and a few of us were having a discussion relevant to the OP(case history on knifes in Ohio). Taking it off topic so far it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP or OC is not only rude but violating the rules. Your disregard and lack of respect for the operators of this site and their rules is boorish.

Since this thread does not have nothing to do with OC, and you believe that the OP stated he was not coming back, and you can't even come close to keeping on topic. Hopefully the mods will shut it down.