• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montana - A Good State to go Off Grid

Augustin

Is Montana a Good State to go Off the Grid?

"Montana is a stunningly beautiful state. It seems like Montana is usually on the short list of people who are considering an off-grid lifestyle. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because of the Marlboro Man image or maybe it's because of the low density levels. For whatever reason Montana is usually at the top of the list. But, is it really a good place to start your self-sustaining homestead off the grid? Let's take a look and see."

For full article and excellent videos:

http://brie-hoffman.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Montana-a-Good-State-to-go-Off-the-Grid

Watch the 3 minute video called "90% Have Guns in Montana" for a good overview of Montana's gun culture.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

10. Gun Laws:

Montana is an open carry and conceal carry state. Montana has some of the most liberal gun laws in the country.

11. Garden and Food Laws:
Raw milk is illegal in Montana, in fact Montana has one of the most restrictive raw milk laws in the country; it is absolutely forbidden to even drink your own raw milk in Montana; the state has even harassed cow-herd share participants.
http://brie-hoffman.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Montana-a-Good-State-to-go-Off-the-Grid

Mother's milk (breast feeding) is illegal?

MontanaResident

There was lots of people here living off the grid before there was a grid. Lots and lots of resources, berries, fruit, game, water, firewood, etc.

bchunter

Just come up to canada

Ever notice in the movies that the apocalypses' and wars never go to canada?

:D

Augustin

Mother's milk (breast feeding) is illegal?

I hope you are not being serious. Don't you know what raw milk is? It is milk that hasn't been pasteurized. High quality raw milk enhances health while pasteurized milk contributes to illness. Raw, whole milk has been consumed for centuries and has long been acknowledged for its health benefits. Numerous research studies show superior growth and health for those children drinking raw milk compared to pasteurized milk.

The fact that some states have actually sent in SWAT teams to nab the dangerous perpertrators who drink raw milk shows us how far Amerika has fallen into tyranny. When a state allows raw milk consumption, it is considered to be a sign of freedom.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023083_milk_raw_benefits.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I hope you are not being serious. Don't you know what raw milk is? It is milk that hasn't been pasteurized. High quality raw milk enhances health while pasteurized milk contributes to illness. Raw, whole milk has been consumed for centuries and has long been acknowledged for its health benefits. Numerous research studies show superior growth and health for those children drinking raw milk compared to pasteurized milk.

The fact that some states have actually sent in SWAT teams to nab the dangerous perpertrators who drink raw milk shows us how far Amerika has fallen into tyranny. When a state allows raw milk consumption, it is considered to be a sign of freedom.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023083_milk_raw_benefits.html
Pasteurization is a process that kills harmful bacteria by heating milk to a specific temperature for a set period of time. First developed by Louis Pasteur in 1864, pasteurization kills harmful organisms responsible for such diseases as listeriosis, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, diphtheria, and brucellosis.

Research shows no meaningful difference in the nutritional values of pasteurized and unpasteurized milk. Pasteurized milk contains low levels of the type of nonpathogenic bacteria that can cause food spoilage, so storing your pasteurized milk in the refrigerator is still important.
http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/consumers/ucm079516.htm

OC Freedom

Just come up to canada

Ever notice in the movies that the apocalypses' and wars never go to canada?

:D

When Canada allows an individual to open carry a pistol just like Idaho does, that is the only way I will go back to Canada.
If I cannot carry a firearm with me I don't go there.

Back In the 90's, I did step across the border wearing my Colt peacemaker and holding my 1873 Winchester, then I had my picture taken next to the welcome to Canada sign.:D

bchunter

Yeah, hopefully soon. Only bush carry right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OC Freedom

Pasteurization is a process that kills harmful bacteria by heating milk to a specific temperature for a set period of time. First developed by Louis Pasteur in 1864, pasteurization kills harmful organisms responsible for such diseases as listeriosis, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, diphtheria, and brucellosis.

Research shows no meaningful difference in the nutritional values of pasteurized and unpasteurized milk. Pasteurized milk contains low levels of the type of nonpathogenic bacteria that can cause food spoilage, so storing your pasteurized milk in the refrigerator is still important.
http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/consumers/ucm079516.htm

I have been drinking raw milk when I can get through my whole life and never had a problem. It taste better than the processed milk in my opinion. Risk? sure, but it's worth it to me.

MontanaCZ

I am fairly certain it is written by someone who has not actually LIVED in Montana. She just read some articles and then made up some comments. Her comments such as "Seems to me that a green house would be a priority." are a clue.

We live off-grid with a bunch of others around here. I am on the Continental Divide just South of Glacier. I have lived and worked all over Montana, so I know a lot of the terrain and climates (yes, that is plural) fairly well. There is a reason that the winters drive a lot of people out of here. We get our share of "tourists" that think it will be wonderful to come and live off-grid in Montana, full time, when they came here from California or Texas.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have been drinking raw milk when I can get through my whole life and never had a problem. It taste better than the processed milk in my opinion. Risk? sure, but it's worth it to me.
My mother survived typhoid fever. The source was milk.

I tend to heed warnings: Danger High Voltage, Product will be very hot, Slippery when wet, and I do not play Russian roulette. When there is a recall on a food item, I avoid the product.

I love Rhubarb, but take the word of the experts that ingesting the leaves can be fatal.

I am reminded of an old nursery rhyme:

Mares eat oats,
Does eat oats,
And little lambs eat ivy.
A kid'll eat ivy too.
Wouldn't you?

Enjoy your raw milk - hope you never have a problem.

rightwinglibertarian

I am fairly certain it is written by someone who has not actually LIVED in Montana. She just read some articles and then made up some comments. Her comments such as "Seems to me that a green house would be a priority." are a clue.

We live off-grid with a bunch of others around here. I am on the Continental Divide just South of Glacier. I have lived and worked all over Montana, so I know a lot of the terrain and climates (yes, that is plural) fairly well. There is a reason that the winters drive a lot of people out of here. We get our share of "tourists" that think it will be wonderful to come and live off-grid in Montana, full time, when they came here from California or Texas.

:lol: They don't know what Winter is if they come from way down there! I lived in the UK for many years and last winter we got literally half a day of snow. I'm now living in Wisconsin and ummm..... yea, 'nuff said :p

Last edited:

Augustin

There was lots of people here living off the grid before there was a grid. Lots and lots of resources, berries, fruit, game, water, firewood, etc.

EXACTLY TRUE! And I was one of them.

I was born into a poor hunting and fishing family in Montana in the late 50s. My parents started taking me on hunting and fishing trips before I was even 1 year of age. My mother was raised by her grandmother in a one room cellar in eastern Montana (obviously off-grid), heating the place by collecting coal that had fallen off the coal trains. She had a tough life back then. And my father was raised on a farm near Laurel, Montana (also off-grid); an equally difficult life for a kid.

My Uncle Herman was an eccentric old geezer who was the original survivalist prototype. He buried guns on his remote off-grid property near Roundup, Montana as far back as 1960. He’d flip off the satellites when he buried his guns. Back then Roundup was extraordinarily isolated and remote. Wildlife was abundant. He mostly lived off the land, but traded wild game for beef, vegetables, and eggs from local farmers. Fruit was scarce, only to be found in far-away Billings.

He was an extraordinary gun trader - mostly selling 20 gauge Winchester shotguns by mail order. He traveled the country (mostly western states like MT, WY, CO, ID, and TX) in his Chevy pick-up truck buying guns at gun stores, pawn shops, and through newspaper ads, and, once the entire back of his pickup truck was full of guns, he’d return to his backcountry hideout and sell them by mail order. He had very impressive gun buying, trading, and selling skills, as well as his gunsmithing, and marksmanship skills.

He lived without electricity, running water, and sewer for decades. He had numerous secret hiding bins throughout his hand-built cabin. And he even used a post office box 60 miles away in Billings, Montana for his business mailings for retreat location privacy.

As a kid in High School I spent several week-long trips visiting ole’ Herm. We reloaded 45/70s and shot his antique guns on his remote property. We trapped rabbits, and hunted deer, antelope, grouse, and pheasants. He taught me many backwoods skills such as shooting, reloading, hunting, fishing, trapping, navigating by the stars at night and the sun and trees in the daytime, home butchering, fire building, primitive shelter building, and much other bushcraft that he learned from the Crow Indians when he was a young adult.

In 1966, when I was just 8 years old, Herm gave me a 20 gauge Winchester shotgun on my birthday and told me that there was a secret letter hidden in the stock which I wasn’t to read until after his death. So I got my first gun at age 8. I never told anyone about our special secret, nor did I ever take a peek inside the stock. After the years passed and my memory became faded, I often wondered if I remembered it right or if it was just a childhood fantasy.

On his passing in 1991, I finally removed the butt plate and found a hollowed out chamber. The letter read, in part,

“This Winchester Model 12, Serial No. (XXXXX), was purchased new wholesale from Gamble’s in August 1950 at a cost to me of $63.00 at Billings, Montana. It is completely factory original and has never been repaired or any alteration made whatsoever and has never has a single malfunction. I have hunted with it every year with the exception of 1965, it was not fired that year. It killed many ducks, partridges, Chinese pheasants, grouse. Has made three triples for me - - one in 1951 on three Mallards at Rapelje, Montana, the other two on sage grouse, one north of Laurel, Montana in 1956 and the other Northeast of Roundup, Montana in 1960. The exact number of birds killed and shots fired, I do not know, but it is many and has never been fired by another person other than myself. In my opinion, there isn’t a finer one built and it with a great deal of regret that on this day, November 8, 1966, that I will retire it not to ever fire a single shot again as long as it is in my possession and in my Winchester collection. The last shot was fired on November 6 at approximately 5 p.m., killing a Hungarian partridge. May you spend as many fine days afield with this fine shotgun as I have. Treat it well and it will do the same for you. I do this with great pride and great pleasure. Good luck and good hunting. When the time comes, I know you will know who will possess it after you.”

Augustin

Pasteurization is a process that kills harmful bacteria by heating milk to a specific temperature for a set period of time. First developed by Louis Pasteur in 1864, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

So first you didn't even know what raw milk was, and now you are some kind of expert in pasteurization. I'd say you simply looked it up on the internet and are now posing as some kind of know-it-all. Whatever.

Augustin

We live off-grid with a bunch of others around here. I am on the Continental Divide just South of Glacier.

We live not that far apart. But I'm definitely on-grid. I bet we have a lot in common, and I'd like to meet you some day. Perhaps we could shoot together at the North Valley Sportsmans Club. Are you a member?

The Truth

EXACTLY TRUE! And I was one of them.

I was born into a poor hunting and fishing family in Montana in the late 50s. My parents started taking me on hunting and fishing trips before I was even 1 year of age. My mother was raised by her grandmother in a one room cellar in eastern Montana (obviously off-grid), heating the place by collecting coal that had fallen off the coal trains. She had a tough life back then. And my father was raised on a farm near Laurel, Montana (also off-grid); an equally difficult life for a kid.

My Uncle Herman was an eccentric old geezer who was the original survivalist prototype. He buried guns on his remote off-grid property near Roundup, Montana as far back as 1960. He’d flip off the satellites when he buried his guns. Back then Roundup was extraordinarily isolated and remote. Wildlife was abundant. He mostly lived off the land, but traded wild game for beef, vegetables, and eggs from local farmers. Fruit was scarce, only to be found in far-away Billings.

He was an extraordinary gun trader - mostly selling 20 gauge Winchester shotguns by mail order. He traveled the country (mostly western states like MT, WY, CO, ID, and TX) in his Chevy pick-up truck buying guns at gun stores, pawn shops, and through newspaper ads, and, once the entire back of his pickup truck was full of guns, he’d return to his backcountry hideout and sell them by mail order. He had very impressive gun buying, trading, and selling skills, as well as his gunsmithing, and marksmanship skills.

He lived without electricity, running water, and sewer for decades. He had numerous secret hiding bins throughout his hand-built cabin. And he even used a post office box 60 miles away in Billings, Montana for his business mailings for retreat location privacy.

As a kid in High School I spent several week-long trips visiting ole’ Herm. We reloaded 45/70s and shot his antique guns on his remote property. We trapped rabbits, and hunted deer, antelope, grouse, and pheasants. He taught me many backwoods skills such as shooting, reloading, hunting, fishing, trapping, navigating by the stars at night and the sun and trees in the daytime, home butchering, fire building, primitive shelter building, and much other bushcraft that he learned from the Crow Indians when he was a young adult.

In 1966, when I was just 8 years old, Herm gave me a 20 gauge Winchester shotgun on my birthday and told me that there was a secret letter hidden in the stock which I wasn’t to read until after his death. So I got my first gun at age 8. I never told anyone about our special secret, nor did I ever take a peek inside the stock. After the years passed and my memory became faded, I often wondered if I remembered it right or if it was just a childhood fantasy.

On his passing in 1991, I finally removed the butt plate and found a hollowed out chamber. The letter read, in part,

“This Winchester Model 12, Serial No. (XXXXX), was purchased new wholesale from Gamble’s in August 1950 at a cost to me of $63.00 at Billings, Montana. It is completely factory original and has never been repaired or any alteration made whatsoever and has never has a single malfunction. I have hunted with it every year with the exception of 1965, it was not fired that year. It killed many ducks, partridges, Chinese pheasants, grouse. Has made three triples for me - - one in 1951 on three Mallards at Rapelje, Montana, the other two on sage grouse, one north of Laurel, Montana in 1956 and the other Northeast of Roundup, Montana in 1960. The exact number of birds killed and shots fired, I do not know, but it is many and has never been fired by another person other than myself. In my opinion, there isn’t a finer one built and it with a great deal of regret that on this day, November 8, 1966, that I will retire it not to ever fire a single shot again as long as it is in my possession and in my Winchester collection. The last shot was fired on November 6 at approximately 5 p.m., killing a Hungarian partridge. May you spend as many fine days afield with this fine shotgun as I have. Treat it well and it will do the same for you. I do this with great pride and great pleasure. Good luck and good hunting. When the time comes, I know you will know who will possess it after you.”

I really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for taking the time!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So first you didn't even know what raw milk was, and now you are some kind of expert in pasteurization. I'd say you simply looked it up on the internet and are now posing as some kind of know-it-all. Whatever.
Do not be insulting - there are consequences for that here.

I was born and raised in Nebraska, have relatives with dairy cattle - none of them drink raw milk nor have for decades.

wittmeba

I went to Jr HS and graduated HS with Mike Russell - operator of http://www.cowboysranch.com/ Helena, Mt. Its funny Montana just went over the 1,000,000 mark of population. Our HS was the second largest in the LA district (including San Fernando Valley), Granada Hills was first. We had over 1100 grads. I guess Mike tasted the fresh air and stayed. I haven't communicated with him for about 6-8 years now but he was very popular and still active with our Class reunions from 1966. I'll have to watch for the announcement of the 50th.

I was born in Great Falls, Mt but have never made it back.

Last edited: