• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine gun sellers campaign wins national award

Maine CWP Training

Gun sellers campaign wins national award

7/16/10

PORTLAND, Maine — A media campaign aimed at addressing the significant problem of firearms and illegal drug trafficking between Maine and Massachusetts won an award Wednesday at a national conference, U.S. Attorney for Maine Thomas E. Delahanty II has announced.

Maine’s Project Safe Neighborhoods’ anti-gun violence initiative received the Outstanding Media Outreach Campaign Award for its Gun Sellers Awareness Campaign at a conference for the Safe Neighbors program held this week in New Orleans.

READ MORE

Maine CWP Training

The writer omitted the fact this program is prominently endorsed by the National Rifle Association. Shameful article.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The writer omitted the fact this program is prominently endorsed by the National Rifle Association. Shameful article.

I do see that you are not suggesting that the NRA originated the Maine’s Project Safe Neighborhoods. That the article did not state that the NRA "endorsed" the effort is NOT in the least shameful IMO.

The NRA has a history of signing on to winning efforts, particularly those not initiated by them - SCOTUS cases and NPS included. They continue to follow rather than lead and do their best to promote CC permit classes as a way to protect their own interests. That is the real shame of it all.

BTW - this is an OPEN CARRY forum and while CC is a recognized and accepted secondary alternate, it is NOT the primary carry method promoted - to even suggest such will draw very direct responses.

What is in your wallet?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's been some years since I was involved in this part of anti-NRA education but I'm pretty sure that safe neighborhoods is a direct 'fork' of Project Exile that was an entirely NRA effort.

Project Exile was started in Richmond, Va. in 1997 - never saw anything that indicated it was originally suggested or planned by the NRA - only that they vigorously endorsed it.

Not everybody saw it as a good reaction to the problem.
http://www.economics.emory.edu/Working_Papers/wp/Olscamp.pdf

Maine CWP Training

Grapeshot~ The NRA emblem is on the Maine Gun Seller's Kit Cover distributed by the DOJ along with SAM. My guess is the writer never saw it or understood what it all about like you.

As a representative of the NRA and Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer and Recruiter and owner Maine CWP Training I drove for 8 hours to support the OC effort and got soaking wet promoting our common interests at Acadia National Park last weekend.

Where were you? The Second Amendment includes both OC & CC.

Sorry to offend you.

Paul J. Mattson
NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
Maine CWP Training
101 Main St.
Harrison, ME 04040

(207) 583-4723
CELL 232-7063
www.MaineCWPtraining.com

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot~ The NRA emblem is on the Maine Gun Seller's Kit Cover distributed by the DOJ along with SAM. My guess is the writer never saw it or understood what it all about like you.

As a representative of the NRA and Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer and Recruiter and owner Maine CWP Training I drove for 8 hours to support the OC effort and got soaking wet promoting our common interests at Acadia National Park last weekend.

Where were you? The Second Amendment includes both OC & CC.

Sorry to offend you.

Paul J. Mattson
NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
Maine CWP Training
101 Main St.
Harrison, ME 04040

(207) 583-4723
CELL 232-7063
www.MaineCWPtraining.com

You did not personally offend me, nor did I intend to personally do so to you.

I still have no idea why the NRA logo is on the Maine Gun Seller's Kit Cover. Is the state using their info by choice? That is not the case in Virginia where a new primary school safety program will allow teaching such utilizing only the Eddie Eagle material.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=101&typ=bil&val=hb1217

I am very sure that your involvement with MOCA is extremely appreciated and beneficial to them. That said, I can appreciate how difficult it is at times to wear two different hats. Been there and done that - in some ways I am still so delicately balanced.

I am a former NRA instructor in several disciplines as well as a former DCJS Police Firearms Instructor. I have taught extensively on both sides of the fence. Have packed up my glory wall though. :D

I am deeply into the day to day activity of the Virginia Citizens Defense League http://www.vcdl.org/ perhaps the preeminent grass roots organization in the country and more than an occasional contributor here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
On the day in question (Acadia meet-up) I was likely at a local festival handing out pro self-defense literature, finishing the work on an OC dinner that ended up with 30 in attendance, and planning on a VCDL picnic were 100 people expressed their support including local politicians.

BTW - we both agree that the 2nd Amendment SHOULD protect both OC and CC - unfortunately that has not been so established.