• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank encourages second amendment

American Patriot

According to the article more banks are considering encouraging customers to carry weapons in their banks. Read the full story at: http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2010/08/19/news/news03.txt

CHAPPELL HILL — Any would-be robbers looking to walk into the bank here had best think twice.

There’s a new sign in town.

About a month ago, Chappell Hill Bank president Edward Smith looked at a sign on the front door prohibiting concealed weapons from his business and decided to make a policy change.

Licensed to carry a handgun? Come on in, and bring your weapon.

The sign, now prominently displayed on the bank’s front door, says, “Lawful concealed carry permitted on these premises. Management recognizes the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution as an inalienable right of all citizens. We therefore support and encourage the carrying of licensed concealed weapons

elixin77

The few times I actually walk into a bank, I OC there all the time. The bank doesn't have any issues with it, and I'll keep banking there as long as they don't.

smlawrence

My bank has their postings of no weapons. I emailed last night to try to get the contact information of the CEO so I can try a shot at him. My bank is a small one, so you never know.

spinner

Bank

My bank is in Wal-mart, but they never flinch or say anything when I walk up to counter armed. Everyone should send a copy of that to there bank's though if there not allowed to carry there.

smlawrence

Why ask first? Do you ask if you can wear a red shirt that day?

What do you mean why ask.... My first sentence was "They are posted NO WEAPONS". I plan to ask them change their policy and remove their sign.

Dreamer

BTW, for those of you who didn't know it, there are TWO very important points that I want to bring out regarding this article:

1) this bank is NOT in Chapel Hill NC. It is in Chappell Hill TX.

http://www.chappellhillbank.com/

2) OC is legal in banks that aren't posted in NC. CC in a bank, however, is outright illegal per State Statute in NC, even if you have a CHP.

All that said, I wonder if this TX bank will open an account through the mail? I'd love to put my money in their care. They seem like a really good establishment.

Dreamer

The few times I actually walk into a bank, I OC there all the time. The bank doesn't have any issues with it, and I'll keep banking there as long as they don't.

If you don't mind, what bank do you use that allows OC? Almost every bank I've dealt with in the Greenville area is posted....

Last edited:

elixin77

NC State Employee's Credit Union (NCSECU).

Your a state employee by working with the school, so you could transfer there.

They do cost $1 per month, but its very worth it to bank with them because the people are nice, the fees are ridiculously low, and they actually call you if you make about 5-6 ebay purchases to make sure it's actually you.

American Patriot

I suspect if you look closely just to the left of the second set of doors you may see a small round NO WEAPONS sign. That is the way it is posted in my town SECU.

elixin77

I've looked at both inner and outer doors. I've even spent time in a branch, and no one even mentioned anything. I know one near me isn't posted, don't know about the other, but IIRC, it's not posted either

Dreamer

NC State Employee's Credit Union (NCSECU).

Your a state employee by working with the school, so you could transfer there.

I only work 20 hours a week, so I' not full time. The local branch told me that because I'm not a full-tie state employee, I'm not eligible to have an account there, or else I'd already have moved my main account to them...

sultan62

I only work 20 hours a week, so I' not full time. The local branch told me that because I'm not a full-tie state employee, I'm not eligible to have an account there, or else I'd already have moved my main account to them...

If you have any immediate family members that qualify, I'm pretty sure that is also a way to join.

elixin77

I'm not full time either, and I was able to open an account with them. All you have to do is prove that you are a state employee (print off a paycheck stub) and your good to go. Whomever you talked to is being retarded, unless they change their policies.

I'd swing by a branch and talk to them in person

elixin77

2062075.jpg

This is whats on the outer door of the NC SECU location on Charles Blvd. in Greenville. There's nothing on the inside door.

Dreamer

Thanks "exilin77"!

Guess where I'll be visiting with a cash deposit and copy of my pay stub in the next week or so?... ;)

Last edited:

calynn

Maybe Suntrust should consider it, since being in a well populated place isn't quite keeping them robbery-free:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8389168/

From the article:

In addition to Saturday's robbery (at a Suntrust bank), police suspect the man committed robberies at:

SunTrust Bank at 1231 University Drive in Durham on Sept. 24
SunTrust Bank inside a Harris Teeter, at 1817 Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway in Durham on Sept. 25
Wood Forest bank inside a Walmart at 10500 Glenwood Ave. in Raleigh on Sept. 26
SunTrust Bank at 3421 N. Roxboro Road in Durham on Sept. 28
SunTrust bank inside a Kroger store at 8345 Creedmoor Road in Raleigh on Sept. 29

Geez, WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT THIS?!?!?!

edrolee

1) this bank is NOT in Chapel Hill NC. It is in Chappell Hill TX.

http://www.chappellhillbank.com/

i was shocked about a bank in CH being gun friendly, thinking to my self this is the town that tried to ban "God Bless America" signs in late 2001..... Texas that makes a lot more sense i thought it was the twilight zone for a moment

smlawrence

I finally got a reply to the letter I sent my bank... here is a copy of what I sent and a copy of what I got for a reply. I love how she included the part of how they don't search their customers or have metal detectors eluding that I could carry and not get caught unless I was to drop it or not hide it very well...lol.

Hi Mr. Montgomery(CEO),

I just wanted to send an email to cover a couple of things. I’ve banked with you for a couple of years and have been tremendously happy with my banking experience. So thank you for providing a great service and please continue the great job. I have a question about one of the banks policies that I wanted to direct towards you. One thing that would improve my personal banking experience and my wife’s would be a policy change to the “No Weapons” policy that I see on the door as I enter the bank every time. Criminals do not abide by policies or prohibiting signs and I personally feel that as times get harder for people, they get more desperate and heaven forbid start robbing more people and businesses including banks. NC is an “Open Carry State” meaning that law abiding citizens can carry a handgun openly in any business not posted as a “No Weapons” business. I encourage you to read the story at this link, http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2010/08/19/news/news03.txt , how one bank out of many across the nation are changing their policy to try to deter criminals from even thinking about robbing a bank where they know customers might be carrying a gun to protect themselves and the people around them. As far as I know, Bank of NC has had no violent bank robberies, and I’ll continue to pray that stays the case but I do worry every day I leave my house. I do hope you read this entire email and think seriously about a policy change and if so, Thank you very much for your time.

Their Reply:

Mr. smlawrence,

First, please accept my apology in the delay in response to the e-mail you sent to Mr. Montgomery. Because I am the Bank Security Officer, Mr. Montgomery shared your e-mail and concerns with me and I told him that I would send you a response. Unfortunately, I was called into a meeting and this e-mail was buried among the many I receive. I do hope you’ll accept my apology.

I do appreciate and thank you for sharing your opinion on the bank’s position of not allowing concealed weapons in the bank. This remains an industry standard and the bank’s position has been based on best practices that will protect our customers and employees as well as comply with the legal requirements and take into consideration potential liabilities. We do not search anyone entering in our branches and currently do not have metal detectors at the entrance of our facilities. We do, however, prefer that in the unfortunate event of a robbery or instance, that the intruder leave as quickly as possible and we will allow law enforcement to handle it from there. We have and will continue to take your opinion, along with that of Chapel Hill Bank, into consideration as we continuously evaluate our security systems and processes.

Again, thank you for your sharing your opinion and for banking with us. Communication from our customers is always welcome and valued.

Sincerely,

Michelle F.