• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do Girls Need Guns?

Tribunal Power

A determined man will ALWAYS be stronger than a woman, even if she gets retention training. I don't know stats on lone female LEO's having to fend off an attempted gun grab by a man- anyone? How often do female LEO's practice retention training after graduating the academy? What is the average holster retention level of uniformed LEOs, all across the USA?

Now whenever I discuss this type thing with this buddy of mine, he always tells me that I doubt myself, that I would be a savage beast if attacked, and am stronger than most women( he has known me since I was 19 and I am now 38). I don't refute that last bit at all, I am all farmgirl, but that still doesn't make me stronger than the average male.

The strongest doesn't always win. Knowing how to fight-- what to do, along with the how and when-- makes you more prepared than being big and strong, imo.

MamaLiberty

A woman and guns book with a slightly different way of things than Paxton Quigley- would be nice to see, but how "different" or "better" would/could it be? If I wrote it, would anyone notice? LOL

My book is not just for women, merely written by one. It tells my experience and what I've done to train to meet the challenge of self defense. The reader can adapt any or none of it to their own needs. My book is nothing like Paxton's.

And don't get hung up on this "retention" thing. The chances of someone trying to take your gun away from you is far less than some seem to think. Otherwise, there would be plenty of verifiable evidence that it goes on... and I challenge anyone to find a verifiable incident.

The major requirement for survival is the will to survive and the determination to do whatever is necessary to get there. The idea that only the ultra trained, physically fit Amazon need dare attempt to carry is insanity! Each and every woman who doesn't require custodial care can and should learn to defend herself, and that generally means learning to use a gun. We can find plenty of evidence that the elderly, disabled, wheelchair bound, and just about anyone else CAN survive if they are prepared both mentally and physically to defend themselves... and that means having and properly using a gun in most cases.

Of course there is no guarantee that any particular individual will prevail every time, but if you do NOT have a gun and are not prepared to use it, you will pretty much be guaranteed injury or death if attacked.

The criminal wants a weak, helpless victim. Don't be one.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Do girls need guns? Absolutely! Here's why:

The strongest doesn't always win. Knowing how to fight-- what to do, along with the how and when-- makes you more prepared than being big and strong, imo.

While that's true, you should always assume the other guy knows how to fight better than you do, regardless of their size. I was in dozens of schoolyard tussles growing up, all of which ended up with me sitting on top of them with their hands pinned to the dirt for one reason: I was bigger and stronger than they were.

At least growing up. My last fight in school was in college, and the guy outweighed me by 100 lbs. While I was still very strong, he was incredibly stronger, a linesman on the football team, and I was the one who was pinned. I relaxed, thinking he's let me up, but he didn't, and instead threw two very hard punches to me, one to my stomach, and another in my right kidney.

Fortunately, I did know how to fight, and one well-placed elbow punch to his jaw broke it in three places. Done right, martial arts can be an effective equalizer. :)

Even so, it took all of my very considerable strength to wrestle the one arm from his grasp such that I could throw the punch in the first place.

I was very, very lucky.

While martial arts can be an effective equalizer, it takes a lot of time, money, and training to learn how to do it properly, and to defeat a significantly larger individual almost always require your martial arts skills outpace theirs considerably.

A firearm is a far more effective equalizer, costing far less in both up front and training costs. It's perfect for leveling the playing field between people of all sizes and shapes.

If women desire to protect themselves, obtaining a firearm and learning how to use it is a 1-day, $500 affair ($250 if they'd rather buy an older, but serviceable firearm from a pawn shop).

On another note, I'm taking the lady I'm currently dating to the range this weekend. She said she enjoys shooting, but is about as handy with a firearm as an armadillo is with a corkscrew. She said, "if you're going to teach me anything, start from the bottom up," so I've already sent her the 3-page training guide I used with my 9-year-old son in January, and we'll be going through the same dry-handling drills, followed by 1, 2, then 3-round firings, after which we'll up it to 6, do some double-tapping, and similar drills.

COMMANDER1911

Everyone needs a gun. My wife works at an anti gun convinient store. That doesn't stop her from packing a Ruger LCP. She fully understands that if self defense is required, she might lose her job and possibly face legal action, however she values her life more than a job. She is currently seeking employment elsewhere. :)