• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weekly San Diego Open Carry Meet 8

elsensei

Hi everyone!

FireMark and I thought it might be fun to mix things up a bit so this week I tried to get ahold of the management at a local pool hall that I really like. As things turned out, that place will have to wait for maybe next week.

But the good news is this: I just spoke with the manager of another neighborhood poolhall in Clairemont and we are all set for this Monday night at 7 pm. He was very welcoming, says they don't discriminate against anyone and as Mondays are pretty quiet they'd love to have us. I checked the surrounding area and it is outside of any "only criminals get to have guns because this is a gun-free-school-zone so please don't hurt me" restriction.

They have large and small tables, food, drinks, everything. There is also a Dolci Mango frozen yogurt place there that is very good if you've got a sweet tooth. The address is below.

Hungry Stick
4664 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92117-2005
858-272-1412

Sorry for the late notice but that's how it worked out.

I'll be there at 7 with my girlfriend, the bartender is Wes, the manager is Gary. Be sure to say hello. Bring a newbie/friend/significant other/possible love interest AND YOUR RECORDER LOCKED ON AND RECORDING and I'll see you all there!

Sam

Last edited:

Firemark

Unfortunatley im working this monday so will be unable to attend this week, I will catch up with all of you for the remainder of the December Mondays.

AntMan

This sounds interesting. Couldn't make it, but I did walk around North County Fair for an hour or so with Des, no problems.

Gundude

I'll try to make this as brief as possible.
When I arrived, Sam, the owner and the bouncer were outside, in a discussion about whether it was legal to carry a firearm in an establishment that served alcohol. I asked the bouncer to cite the section of the penal code that prohibited this. Of course, he couldn't. I suggested that we call the police to set their minds at ease. They agreed and I called the SDPD. I asked Sam if he was ready for an (e) check. :lol: Two SDPD officers showed about 15 minutes later. They went off and had a discussion with the owner.
Two more LEO's arrived and did an (e) check on Sam and I. The officer tried to hand my PMK back to me with the hammer back. I had to tell him to hold the hammer and pull the trigger to release it. Then told him to put it back in the holster as I didn't want to handle it. They tired to get our names and other vitial info, to no avail.
An odd thing...I asked the bouncer why he wasn't carrying. He said he didn't need one that he was a marial arts expert. :shocker: He said he was a convicted felon, but admitted he had a gun at home to protect his family.
In the end, the owner decided that he wanted to check with the ABC before allowing us in. He didn't want to jeoprodize his liquor license. He said we should check back in two weeks for a progress report. I assume he was satisfied that there was no PC prohibiting carry in his business. He even offered to buy us a beer if we left our weapons in the car.
All in all, it was a good training exercise for the SDPD, bouncer and the owner.

Gundude

I assume that someone is doing a search of the ABC regs about carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol.

Last edited:

Gundude

It doesn't exist...it'll be interesting to see what they might respond with...

I wasn't sure. But I don't blame the owner for wanting to check. A little CYA goes a long way.
He also wanted to check with the other two owners on their policy. Baby steps, as he called it.
As stated in the original op, the guy we talked to is ok with UOC'ing there.

Last edited:

puppy8agun

He said he didn't need one that he was a marial arts expert. :shocker: He said he was a convicted felon, but admitted he had a gun at home to protect his family.....

A convicted felon with a gun!!! OMG that can't happen, there is a piece of paper somewhere that prohibits that.

pullnshoot25

Felons can own black powder guns. For all we know, that is what he has.

Ching Ching Pow > Kung Fu

I carried in the bar at about 915 or so but everyone had left by then. Ratballs!

Who were the SDPD officers?

There is nothing in the code prohibiting carry. The ABC only cares about distribution, tracking and serving alcohol and other ingestible liquids.

Gundude

I didn't get the officers names, because I didn't have a recorder or paper and pencil.
I'll be better prepared next time. I ordered these super duper audio/video sunglasses from this site. They should be here any day. I was gonna get the pen, but it only records for 2 hrs. The glasses go for 4 to 5 hrs. I'll give a full report on them asap.

http://spygear.factoryoutletstore.com/