• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yay a new job... wait "no weapons on company owned property"?!

DrakeZ07

So, I just picked up a part-time temp job in Mt. Sterling, for GK Services. I was handed a bunch of papers to read over at the temp Agency, and on several paragraphs of the sheets titled company policy, and safety; It was made clear that the company, this is in their words, "will release and/or terminate any full-time employee, or temporary agent, who willfully keeps a firearm on any portion of our property." and "It is illegal to keep a deadly weapon in non-company owned vehicles". and my favorite; "Legal action will be filed against any person(s) who violate our policy on deadly weapons to the fullest extent of the law".

So, I kinda like my new job, atleast since I just had my first day, and I don't want to screw it up by informing the company management that their policy for their property, atleast concerning their employee parking lot, is in violation of KRS 237.106;

"237.106 Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle -- Employer liable for denying right -- Exceptions.
(1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on the property.
(2) A person, including but not limited to an employer, who owns, leases, or otherwise occupies real property may prevent a person who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm or ammunition from possessing a firearm or ammunition on the property.
(3) A firearm may be removed from the vehicle or handled in the case of self-defense, defense of another, defense of property, or as authorized by the owner, lessee, or occupant of the property.
(4) An employer that fires, disciplines, demotes, or otherwise punishes an employee who is lawfully exercising a right guaranteed by this section and who is engaging in conduct in compliance with this statute shall be liable in civil damages. An employee may seek and the court shall grant an injunction against an employer who is violating the provisions of this section when it is found that the employee is in compliance with the provisions of this section.
(5) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any real property:
(a) Owned, leased, or occupied by the United States government, upon which the possession or carrying of firearms is prohibited or controlled;
(b) Of a detention facility as defined in KRS 520.010; or
(c) Where a section of the Kentucky Revised Statutes specifically prohibits possession or carrying of firearms on the property.
Effective: July 12, 2006
History: Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 240, sec. 8, effective July 12, 2006."

Any tips on this? I got hired on for night shift, 2:30p-11:00p, and don't want to get into my car at night, in the half-lit parking lot, and not be able to defend myself from any would be robber who was stalking industrial parking lots...

Or perhaps one of you kind gentlemen, would like to inform my new employer of their violations of state law~ Either or would be fine for me ^~^

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you want to put the gun in the glove compartment, just do it...don't broadcast it.

You do not want to get into a wrongful discharge case...they'll say they fired you for another reason & bingo, they're off the hook.

Last edited:

jt59

Suggestion to put it in the suggestion box....

(4) An employer that fires, disciplines, demotes, or otherwise punishes an employee who is lawfully exercising a right guaranteed by this section and who is engaging in conduct in compliance with this statute shall be liable in civil damages. An employee may seek and the court shall grant an injunction against an employer who is violating the provisions of this section when it is found that the employee is in compliance with the provisions of this section.

If they fire you, sue...just make sure it's over this issue, not because your consistently 5 min. early.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
have an email for a manager or owner that someone could shoot an email to with the current state law? I could send them one and politely say I was reading their employment procedures and noticed they were violating state law with this policy. No mention of you whatsoever and it gets the point across without you being suspected.

DrakeZ07

I would appreciate the offer, and gladly take you up on it; however, I have not seen or noted a suggestion box of any sort, and dont know or have the email of the manage in charge, all I have, is the number for the main office that my temp agency gave me, but looking up on google, there is a general email address for the entire company, including its Indiana, MN, and Ky locations.

--
G&K Services - GKdirect™
140 Clarence Dr.
Mount Sterling, KY 40353
gkweb@gkservices.com Phone : (866) 548-8434

Thanks guys.

KRM59

make your choice

So, I just picked up a part-time temp job in Mt. Sterling, for GK Services. I was handed a bunch of papers to read over at the temp Agency, and on several paragraphs of the sheets titled company policy, and safety; It was made clear that the company, this is in their words, "will release and/or terminate any full-time employee, or temporary agent, who willfully keeps a firearm on any portion of our property." and "It is illegal to keep a deadly weapon in non-company owned vehicles". and my favorite; "Legal action will be filed against any person(s) who violate our policy on deadly weapons to the fullest extent of the law".

So, I kinda like my new job, atleast since I just had my first day, and I don't want to screw it up by informing the company management that their policy for their property, atleast concerning their employee parking lot, is in violation of KRS 237.106;

"237.106 Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle -- Employer liable for denying right -- Exceptions.
(1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on the property.
(2) A person, including but not limited to an employer, who owns, leases, or otherwise occupies real property may prevent a person who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm or ammunition from possessing a firearm or ammunition on the property.
(3) A firearm may be removed from the vehicle or handled in the case of self-defense, defense of another, defense of property, or as authorized by the owner, lessee, or occupant of the property.
(5) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any real property:
(a) Owned, leased, or occupied by the United States government, upon which the possession or carrying of firearms is prohibited or controlled;
(b) Of a detention facility as defined in KRS 520.010; or
(c) Where a section of the Kentucky Revised Statutes specifically prohibits possession or carrying of firearms on the property.
Effective: July 12, 2006
History: Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 240, sec. 8, effective July 12, 2006."

Any tips on this? I got hired on for night shift, 2:30p-11:00p, and don't want to get into my car at night, in the half-lit parking lot, and not be able to defend myself from any would be robber who was stalking industrial parking lots...

Or perhaps one of you kind gentlemen, would like to inform my new employer of their violations of state law~ Either or would be fine for me ^~^

Drake, i see your point of liking the Job, but why post and ask us you know the law as well as we do. it is a choice for you to make. tell them there breaking the Law or abide by there unlawful rules. I had to do the same thing and i was risking a Job i have 17 years invested in, but sometime you have to do what your heart tells you to do. But now where i work has taken their rule of no weapons on company property out of the rule book and changed it to in company buildings..

flb_78

+1, Lets all just act like we don't have any rights and just hide them away.

He's a brand new hire, working part time through a temp agency. I really doubt that they're going to rewrite their own rulebook over him. He has no rights as an employee there because he works for the temp agency, not the factory.

09jisaac

He's a brand new hire, working part time through a temp agency. I really doubt that they're going to rewrite their own rulebook over him. He has no rights as an employee there because he works for the temp agency, not the factory.

The law's text is up there ^^^. I don't think you read it the 1st time so I am not going to post it again, but I will summarize the part I think is relevant.

NOBODY who owns property (the parking lot of the place Drake works at) can prohibit anyone who can legally possess a gun from possessing it in their vehicle. It doesn't say that it has to be your direct employer, it doesn't say you have to work there for so long, it doesn't even say you need to work full time. And no, they probably won't rewrite their rulebook over him, but they might if they are informed of the law and how they're in violation of it.

So, yes he does have rights and they are affirmed by state law. Maybe you shouldn't shy away from everything so easily.

DrakeZ07

"DrakeZ07" has no relation to my actual legal and given name; its sort of a short-hand term some of my older friends called me, and is my "Alternate persona/fursona" for when I attend conventions~ :p

I could keep my mouth shut, and still keep the firearm in my vehicle, but that would be against my nature. I don't like to hide behind a veil of silence, and if anyone at my new job would ask me if I kept a firearm in my truck, I would say yes.

Yea I know of the law, and probably shouldn't have made this thread; I was just seeking advice, on whether I should mention state law to my temp agency, or directly to the building management, or if I should email it, or just not do anything.

DWCook

Activist Member
I had jobs in the past where they would state no firearms on company property, but would gladly state the inside of your vehicle is none of our concern. Even though they state this on their policy, I have never had a job that would tell me that I couldn't have it in my car locked up. There just stating this as more of a safety factor for them and their insurance policy. There are a lot of crap rules stated with millions of company's, but half the time is because its the insurance policy that there trying to keep at low cost, so they have to state certain rules.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
you are correct, they have to state certain rules for insurance purposes. Those "rules" can not be a violation of state law though! They need to change their policy to state no firearms on company property, "unless" stored in your personal vehicle and locked as per KRS 237.106.

DrakeZ07

you are correct, they have to state certain rules for insurance purposes. Those "rules" can not be a violation of state law though! They need to change their policy to state no firearms on company property, "unless" stored in your personal vehicle and locked as per KRS 237.106.

KRS 237.106 Makes no mention that the firearm must be "locked" within your vehicle, nor does it say it has to be in any factory installed compartment, glovebox, etc, nor does it say it cannot be laying in the open on your dashboard, or seat.

flb_78

Maybe you shouldn't shy away from everything so easily.

This really digs at me.

It was GutShot and I who open carried into the Bardstown city counsel meeting, in violation of their illegal law which banned guns on all city property. We both could of been arrested that night on bogus charges.

Im not shying away from it, but if Drake is needing a job, then it's probably best to not rock the boat the 2nd day he works there. They can let him go at any time for no reason what so ever because he works for the temp agency, not the factory.

I know when I was out of work for 9 months, a job was much more important to me than being able to keep a gun on the dash of my car. I just kept in the glovebox and kept quiet about it, even though "company policy" was no guns on the property at all.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
KRS 237.106 Makes no mention that the firearm must be "locked" within your vehicle, nor does it say it has to be in any factory installed compartment, glovebox, etc, nor does it say it cannot be laying in the open on your dashboard, or seat.

Your correct, but they could make you lock your vehical, and anyone with any intelligence would lock their vehicle with a firearm inside. The law simply says they can not prevent you from keeping a firearm in your vehicle, it does not say they can't make you lock your vehicle.

Last edited: