• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peruta v. San Diego - Motions to Intervene Denied

California Right To Carry

Peruta v. San Diego Appeal 10-56971
MOTIONS TO INTERVENE DENIED
November 12, 2014
Update November 12, 2014 - The Motions to intervene in the Peruta case were denied. The Order can be read here. I am of the opinion that this can still be appealed via the Peruta case but if it can’t, the Peruta decision can still be appealed indirectly via the Richard’s v. Prieto and Baker v. Kealoha cases and, of course, the Peruta opinion can be appealed indirectly through my case Nichols v. Brown should the Court of Appeals decide that Peruta bars asking for the relief I sought in my lawsuit. Regardless, somebody is going to be filing a cert petition with SCOTUS before all is said and done in this case.
http://blog.californiarighttocarry.org/?page_id=1575

Last edited:

Thundar

Peruta v. San Diego Appeal 10-56971
MOTIONS TO INTERVENE DENIED
November 12, 2014
Update November 12, 2014 - The Motions to intervene in the Peruta case were denied. The Order can be read here. I am of the opinion that this can still be appealed via the Peruta case but if it can’t, the Peruta decision can still be appealed indirectly via the Richard’s v. Prieto and Baker v. Kealoha cases and, of course, the Peruta opinion can be appealed indirectly through my case Nichols v. Brown should the Court of Appeals decide that Peruta bars asking for the relief I sought in my lawsuit. Regardless, somebody is going to be filing a cert petition with SCOTUS before all is said and done in this case.
http://blog.californiarighttocarry.org/?page_id=1575

about time. The end game for California "may issue" might actually be revealed this year.

Last edited:

NosePicker

Why cant Richards just withdraw their case and remove the ability for Harris to intervene ?

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Why cant Prieto just withdraw their case and remove the ability for Harris to intervene ?

Tell my just why would Peurta even want to do as you suggest since He has WON his case at this point and the State AG has failed to get the Judge to allow them to intervene. Even IF Harris were to appeal this judges decision to a higher court I don't see the higher court ruling against Peruta.

NosePicker

Tell my just why would Peurta even want to do as you suggest since He has WON his case at this point and the State AG has failed to get the Judge to allow them to intervene. Even IF Harris were to appeal this judges decision to a higher court I don't see the higher court ruling against Peruta.

I am referring to the Richards vs Prieto case NOT the Peruta case. I meant to say "shouldn't Richards" withdraw their case so Harris cant intervene in it.

OC4me

I am referring to the Richards vs Prieto case NOT the Peruta case. I meant to say "shouldn't Richards" withdraw their case so Harris cant intervene in it.

Interesting and insightful point to bring up. However, you may want to read what Eugene Volokh had to say about the impact of en blanc denial in the Peruta case:

". .. as a practical matter, though, this decision probably doesn’t mean much, because the same issue has been raised in Baker v. Kealoha, which challenges Honolulu’s restrictive licensing scheme, and in Richards v. Prieto, which challenges the Yolo County (California) scheme. The panel held in plaintiffs’ favor in those cases, citing Peruta, and those defendants did file en banc rehearing petitions. So the Ninth Circuit will now consider those petitions. Stay tuned for what the Ninth Circuit does . . ."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...uns-good-bye-peruta-hello-richards-and-baker/

So it appears likely that either the state of California or Hawaii will get an blanc review in the end.

Unfortunately, its still too early to get excited over this recent development. I fear that the litigation will go on for months if not years more.

Last edited:

NosePicker

Interesting and insightful point to bring up. However, you may want to read what Eugene Volokh had to say about the impact of en blanc denial in the Peruta case:

". .. as a practical matter, though, this decision probably doesn’t mean much, because the same issue has been raised in Baker v. Kealoha, which challenges Honolulu’s restrictive licensing scheme, and in Richards v. Prieto, which challenges the Yolo County (California) scheme. The panel held in plaintiffs’ favor in those cases, citing Peruta, and those defendants did file en banc rehearing petitions. So the Ninth Circuit will now consider those petitions. Stay tuned for what the Ninth Circuit does . . ."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...uns-good-bye-peruta-hello-richards-and-baker/

So it appears likely that either the state of California or Hawaii will get an blanc review in the end.

Unfortunately, its still too early to get excited over this recent development. I fear that the litigation will go on for months if not years more.

This is exactly my point. If both of those cases withdrew their appeals and ended the case, there would be NO review and NO challenge. Peruta would be the only case and its ruling would be the law of the land (for the 9th circuit).

OC4me

This is exactly my point. If both of those cases withdrew their appeals and ended the case, there would be NO review and NO challenge. Peruta would be the only case and its ruling would be the law of the land (for the 9th circuit).
Yes, sorry! I initially got that point but somehow let it slide away . . . getting old I guess ;-) Yes, I think your idea is brilliant. Let's hope that great minds think alike and their legal team has an aha moment...but then again attorneys are paid by the hour ;-/

Last edited:

Peruta is not the "law of the land for the 9th circuit" or even for California. The Peruta decision is limited solely to the policy of San Diego Sheriff Gore and his policy of not accepting self-defense as good cause for being issued a concealed carry permit.

The Peruta decision is not binding on any other case unless a majority of a three judge panel concludes that the Peruta decision is a persuasive precedent and the facts in the as-applied challenge to some other Sheriff's or police chief's policy warrant the same relief.

If Richards and Baker drop their lawsuits then the defendant's in their cases can still refuse to issue permits. Nobody, not even Sheriff Gore is required to issue a single permit because of the Peruta decision and only Sheriff Gore is required to accept self-defense as "good cause" for being issued a permit.

NosePicker

Peruta is not the "law of the land for the 9th circuit" or even for California. The Peruta decision is limited solely to the policy of San Diego Sheriff Gore and his policy of not accepting self-defense as good cause for being issued a concealed carry permit.

The Peruta decision is not binding on any other case unless a majority of a three judge panel concludes that the Peruta decision is a persuasive precedent and the facts in the as-applied challenge to some other Sheriff's or police chief's policy warrant the same relief.

If Richards and Baker drop their lawsuits then the defendant's in their cases can still refuse to issue permits. Nobody, not even Sheriff Gore is required to issue a single permit because of the Peruta decision and only Sheriff Gore is required to accept self-defense as "good cause" for being issued a permit.

I disagree. The "good cause" clause isn't a creation of Sheriff Gore, its state law. The Peruta ruling said the GC clause is unconstitutional. Therefore, the entire state law is ruled unconstitutional, not just SD county and Gore.

I disagree. The "good cause" clause isn't a creation of Sheriff Gore, its state law. The Peruta ruling said the GC clause is unconstitutional. Therefore, the entire state law is ruled unconstitutional, not just SD county and Gore.

I would agree that the Peruta Court did just that however judges in this circuit are limited to what the Peruta Court majority said it did and the Peruta Court explicitly said that it was not ruling on the constitutionality of any state law including the state law which allows for County Sheriffs to issue CCWs.

The Peruta court limited the scope of its decision to the parties in the Peruta case. It will be necessary to file a separate lawsuit to challenge the policy of any other Sheriff or Police Chief and it will be up to a different three judge panel to decide whether or not it should even consider the Peruta decision as no court, except the Peruta district court, is bound by the Peruta decision.

Even the plaintiffs lawyer recognizes this fact.

Thundar

The Peruta court limited the scope of its decision to the parties in the Peruta case. It will be necessary to file a separate lawsuit to challenge the policy of any other Sheriff or Police Chief and it will be up to a different three judge panel to decide whether or not it should even consider the Peruta decision as no court, except the Peruta district court, is bound by the Peruta decision.

Even the plaintiffs lawyer recognizes this fact.

Well there is a chief of police in Honolulu, HI that has a very different perspective on that. Baker vs. Kaeloha.

Well there is a chief of police in Honolulu, HI that has a very different perspective on that. Baker vs. Kaeloha.

What some chief of police or County Sheriff (other than Sheriff Gore) chooses to do or not do in light of the Peruta decision does not change the fact that the Peruta decision does not compel any of them to issue a CCW unless and until a court orders them to do so.

Baker v. Kealoha was one of three cases heard before the same three judge panel that heard the Peruta case. It isn't too surprising that the same three judge panel in Peruta came to the same conclusion in Baker. The Baker decision and Richards v. Prieto decision is unpublished. Baker and Richards can't be cited in any other case.

You seem to be thinking that just because two of three judges in Peruta, in a decision in which they said was limited to the to the defendant in that case, somehow constitutes a prior panel decision which every subsequent three judge panel is bound to apply to its separate as-applied case against some other Sheriff or Police Chief?

It is difficult enough to win a case by citing binding precedents which contained no limiting language as to their precedential power (e.g., Heller and McDonald). The two Peruta Court judges put in lots of language limiting the scope of the Peruta decision and took Baker and Richards completely off the table when it comes to citing precedents in future cases.

In short, any future three judge panel is free to ignore the Peruta, Richards and Baker decisions and come to the opposite conclusion in those cases without creating an intra-circuit split.

press1280

What some chief of police or County Sheriff (other than Sheriff Gore) chooses to do or not do in light of the Peruta decision does not change the fact that the Peruta decision does not compel any of them to issue a CCW unless and until a court orders them to do so.

Baker v. Kealoha was one of three cases heard before the same three judge panel that heard the Peruta case. It isn't too surprising that the same three judge panel in Peruta came to the same conclusion in Baker. The Baker decision and Richards v. Prieto decision is unpublished. Baker and Richards can't be cited in any other case.

You seem to be thinking that just because two of three judges in Peruta, in a decision in which they said was limited to the to the defendant in that case, somehow constitutes a prior panel decision which every subsequent three judge panel is bound to apply to its separate as-applied case against some other Sheriff or Police Chief?

It is difficult enough to win a case by citing binding precedents which contained no limiting language as to their precedential power (e.g., Heller and McDonald). The two Peruta Court judges put in lots of language limiting the scope of the Peruta decision and took Baker and Richards completely off the table when it comes to citing precedents in future cases.

In short, any future three judge panel is free to ignore the Peruta, Richards and Baker decisions and come to the opposite conclusion in those cases without creating an intra-circuit split.

But someone else applying in SF for example and denied because of "good cause" can simply cite Peruta and that should be it unless that case gets en banc and effectively overturns Peruta? IIRC a 3 judge panel opinion can't be overturned by another 3 judge panel, short of some kind of change or ruling by an en banc panel or SCOTUS.

press1280

But then wouldn't Gore or any other Sheriff refusing to issue period be violating Salute v. Pitchess and CA law?

And although you're technically correct that it only applies to SD County, the same set of facts would apply to countless other law abiding citizens denied strictly due to good cause, as long as they apply with "self defense".

But someone else applying in SF for example and denied because of "good cause" can simply cite Peruta and that should be it unless that case gets en banc and effectively overturns Peruta? IIRC a 3 judge panel opinion can't be overturned by another 3 judge panel, short of some kind of change or ruling by an en banc panel or SCOTUS.

You keep wandering into the same logical sandpit that so many others do. Peruta isn't binding on any other 3 judge panel and a simple affirmation of Peruta , or denial of en banc and cert petition, won't broaden the scope of the decision. Some current, or future, 3 judge panel can look at the Peruta decision and find it to be a persuasive precedent but the odds of getting a future 3 judge panel to be "persuaded" by the Peruta decision is pretty slim given the makeup of the pool of 9th Circuit Appellate Court judges.

Here is a simple analogy, what if the Heller Court and McDonald Court had said that they are limiting the scope of their decisions to the plaintiffs in that case and nothing in their decision(s) should be construed as applying to any other law, state or Federal?

Would you still be arguing that Heller and McDonald are "binding" on any other court? Well, that's what you have with Peruta. The Peruta decision is a very narrow as-applied challenge to the CCW policy of San Diego Sheriff Gore. The Peruta Court went to great pains to limit the scope of its decision solely to Sheriff Gore's policy.

Any lawyer who walks into a court, slaps the Peruta decision on the table and demands a CCW for his client is a graduate of the CalGuns.nut School of Law and Refrigerator Repair.

That isn't to say you won't find a district court judge here and there who will be persuaded but then the case still has to survive the appellate process.

But then wouldn't Gore or any other Sheriff refusing to issue period be violating Salute v. Pitchess and CA law?

And although you're technically correct that it only applies to SD County, the same set of facts would apply to countless other law abiding citizens denied strictly due to good cause, as long as they apply with "self defense".

I don't know what argument you were trying to make with Salute but I suspect whatever it might have been was negated with Gifford v. City of Los Angeles.

I can think of millions of people in just two counties, Los Angeles and San Francisco, with far more restrictive policies. Nevertheless, the Peruta decision and fifty cents won't get a lawyer's client a cup of coffee let alone a CCW.

What California law are you referring to? There has never been a general right to concealed carry in California and even the common law, and former statutory, right for travelers while actually on a journey to carry weapons concealed is gone under today's law.

press1280

You keep wandering into the same logical sandpit that so many others do. Peruta isn't binding on any other 3 judge panel and a simple affirmation of Peruta , or denial of en banc and cert petition, won't broaden the scope of the decision. Some current, or future, 3 judge panel can look at the Peruta decision and find it to be a persuasive precedent but the odds of getting a future 3 judge panel to be "persuaded" by the Peruta decision is pretty slim given the makeup of the pool of 9th Circuit Appellate Court judges.

Here is a simple analogy, what if the Heller Court and McDonald Court had said that they are limiting the scope of their decisions to the plaintiffs in that case and nothing in their decision(s) should be construed as applying to any other law, state or Federal?

Would you still be arguing that Heller and McDonald are "binding" on any other court? Well, that's what you have with Peruta. The Peruta decision is a very narrow as-applied challenge to the CCW policy of San Diego Sheriff Gore. The Peruta Court went to great pains to limit the scope of its decision solely to Sheriff Gore's policy.

Any lawyer who walks into a court, slaps the Peruta decision on the table and demands a CCW for his client is a graduate of the CalGuns.nut School of Law and Refrigerator Repair.

That isn't to say you won't find a district court judge here and there who will be persuaded but then the case still has to survive the appellate process.

But what's the material difference between Gore's policy and that of any other restrictive sheriff in CA, in regards to using "self defense" as a reason? Even the dissenter, Thomas, agreed in Richards that if Peruta were upheld, then Yolo's policy is also invalid. I would think if another 3 judge panel goes another way then it should logically trigger an intra circuit split and have to go to en banc.

But what's the material difference between Gore's policy and that of any other restrictive sheriff in CA, in regards to using "self defense" as a reason? Even the dissenter, Thomas, agreed in Richards that if Peruta were upheld, then Yolo's policy is also invalid. I would think if another 3 judge panel goes another way then it should logically trigger an intra circuit split and have to go to en banc.

Peruta in and of itself has already created an intra-circuit split, that was one of the reasons the AG gave in her en banc petition. Peruta has also created circuit splits with every state and Federal court of appeals.

Sheriff Prieto's policy ("Yolo's") was before the same three judges as was Peruta, they had jurisdiction over those two Sheriff's. They did not, and do not have, jurisdiction over any other policy of any other Sheriff. If you don't like the CCW policy of say, the San Francisco or Los Angeles County Sheriffs' CCW policies then you will have to file a lawsuit and argue why Peruta, which is at best persuasive, applies to your case. After a year or two of litigation you, or the opposing party will then file an appeal and perhaps a few years after that it will be assigned to a three judge panel, the probability of it being the same three judges in the Peruta/Richards cases being extremely remote. After perhaps another year or two of pondering by the three judge panel, they issue a decision which you have to pray is decided in your favor because it the court of appeals says there is no right under Heller to carry a concealed weapon then your case doesn't create a split between the Circuits, or even a split between other states, which means your cert petition gets stuck in the "dead list" and gets automatically denied. I am unaware of any CCW case filed against San Francisco (county or city or city and county).

You only need to look at my case for an exemplar. Peruta did not say that there is no Open Carry right. There was a line or two of dicta which said the Peruta plaintiffs were allowed to bring their concealed carry lawsuit because they did not challenge any state law and because they did not bring a broad based open carry challenge.

It is well established that inferior courts cannot create pleading standards not found in the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Just last Monday SCOTUS released a per curium in Johnson v. City of Shelby reminding the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals of that fact. Nonetheless, the district court judge in my case construed the unqualified line of dicta in Peruta to stand for the proposition that I do not have Article III standing to bring my lawsuit. And where the Peruta Court said that it was not ruling on the Constitutionality of any state law the district court in my case said that the Peruta Court validated California's entire licensing scheme. Again, never mind the fact that my lawsuit did not seek to carry a firearm anywhere in the state where a license to carry by others is required and disavowed a challenge to where licenses are required (Gun Free School Zones, state and local government buildings, etc).

I won't even bother to point out the myriad of other errors the district court made in my case regarding my challenges unrelated to the Second Amendment but suffice it to say, whatever you think the Peruta decision means now or to any future concealed carry lawsuit, you are going to have to cross your fingers and hope that an appellate court agrees with you and, if not, hope that SCOTUS will grant cert in your concealed carry case which it won't.

A concealed carry case which I suspect you don't have the money to litigate and a concealed carry case which none of the so-called gun rights groups have filed.

For that matter, the only CCW cases in Los Angeles County that I am aware of are now moot because the plaintiff in one case got his CCW and the plaintiffs in the two other cases have filed new lawsuits claiming residency in counties other than Los Angeles.