• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skyway Fishing Pier

Rick H

I thought that You were allowed to carry your firearm in National Parks and State Park now. I went fishing at the Skyway Fishing Pier yesterday and
they have a sign right as you enter and pay that states NO FIREARMS, so I ask the lady and she say that you are not allowed as well because some guy owns it, but I checked and it states that it is a State Park. Any info on this subject?
http://floridastateparks.org/skyway/default.cfm

Rich7553

She is wrong and we have forwarded the information you supplied to our legal team. Thanks and if you can get a photo of the sign, that would be helpful. Send it to rich@floridacarry.org.

Last edited:

Rick H

So in other words this is a place to Open Carry legally, while fishing of course.

Last edited:

Rich7553

So in other words this is a place to Open Carry legally, while fishing of course.

Correct. We are contacting the Florida Department of Parks and Recreation, who manage the state parks, regarding your inquiry.

ADulay

Woo-Hoo!

Road Trip!

Perhaps there might a good time in the near future to have an Open Carry Fishing Day there!

Just under a two hour ride for me, but it would be good to see some of the posters in the thread up there!

AD (idle thinking before a doctor's appointment)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Ah, Downtown Saint Petersburg. Those were the days.

You better be carying a gun. If not, you have a death wish.

Rich7553

E-mail has been sent to the Division of Parks and Recreation. We'll see what kind of response we get.

Rick H

Woo-Hoo!

Road Trip!

Perhaps there might a good time in the near future to have an Open Carry Fishing Day there!

Just under a two hour ride for me, but it would be good to see some of the posters in the thread up there!

When ever you are ready let do it, i'm in any day anytime for this one.
Only a half hour away but love fishing there because it is a ez bait catch there.
and the tides carry out your bait for you.
There is good Grouper and Spanish Mac, King Mac, and shark at night.
A lot of families there so try and bring your with if possible.
A some what ok snack / bait house too.
maybe this could be a great Opencarry fishing spot for the agenda.

Rich7553

When ever you are ready let do it, i'm in any day anytime for this one.
Only a half hour away but love fishing there because it is a ez bait catch there.
and the tides carry out your bait for you.
There is good Grouper and Spanish Mac, King Mac, and shark at night.
A lot of families there so try and bring your with if possible.
A some what ok snack / bait house too.
maybe this could be a great Opencarry fishing spot for the agenda.

We are considering it, however bear in mind that the goal of the "official" open carry fishing events that are supported by Florida Open Carry/Florida Carry, Inc. is not to be confrontational, but to educate and normalize citizens to the concept of lawful open carry. We would prefer to resolve issues like this one prior to gathering en masse at a presumably hostile location.

ADulay

We would prefer to resolve issues like this one prior to gathering en masse at a presumably hostile location.

Sorry, I must have confused a few people.

Yes, that would be the original idea though. I should have made it clearer.

AFTER the signs come down, THEN we have a nice and informative Open Carry Fishing Sortie on the Skyway!

I think I could even convince the wife to show up for that one!

Heck, we probably won't have Monday Night football this year so maybe that could be our Monday Night Excuse?????

AD

10x

We are considering it, however bear in mind that the goal of the "official" open carry fishing events that are supported by Florida Open Carry/Florida Carry, Inc. is not to be confrontational, but to educate and normalize citizens to the concept of lawful open carry. We would prefer to resolve issues like this one prior to gathering en masse at a presumably hostile location.

I agree, just say when. If we want to educate and normalize citizens that is the place to do it. There are always hundreds of people everyday and nite fishing there. It would be great exposure for our cause.

Last edited:

Rich7553

I agree, just say when. If we want to educate and normalize citizens that is the place to do it. There are always hundreds of people everyday and nite fishing there. It would be great exposure for our cause.

Will do. If we don't hear anything by Monday, a follow-up email will be sent. Then, the attorneys get involved.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I have spoken with the proper officials at the Florida Parks Service. All park personnel and contracted private concessioners are being properly educated on Florida's gun laws at they pertain to the parks and all signs and printed matericlas prohibitive of firearms should already be gone.

This one, being stamped in to the concrete, will take a little longer to get rid of but it should be covered over immediately.

Please let me know if it is not gone by Aug 15th or if any others are found anywhere at any Florida State Park.

hammer6

Woo-Hoo!

Road Trip!

i'm down- i live 30 min from there. i may do it solo or with a buddy and record it.

Rick H

Going fishing today at the Skyway Fishing Pier.. ( O.C )

It is going to be a interesting day. A friend and I are going to Open Carry at the Skyway Pier around 4:00pm,
I will be recording with my Phone which is all I have, Battery is weak but I'll start recording if any B.S starts.
If anybody wants to join in I'll be around the bait house. You can't miss me I'm the bald guy with bluegrass playing
in my jeep.
Who know maybe I'll even catch some fish.....lol